2019 New Music

Amy Lawn

Today has been a whirlwind of good releases for me. Shura and Friendly Fires both properly good, and enough on the Ride one for me to keep it on spins over the next week or so.

Also decided to go back a week and give the new Feeder album a go. Not groundbreaking, but that's not always a bad thing.  If you like Feeder, you'll like it. And I like it :)

34 minutes ago, Quark said:

Today has been a whirlwind of good releases for me. Shura and Friendly Fires both properly good, and enough on the Ride one for me to keep it on spins over the next week or so.

Also decided to go back a week and give the new Feeder album a go. Not groundbreaking, but that's not always a bad thing.  If you like Feeder, you'll like it. And I like it :)

I was surprisingly whelmed by that Feeder album, I can't say if I'll ever go back to it though. Maybe if they were playing a festival I was going to.

Hell of a day of music.

• King Gizz was appropriately heavy. Pity my record couldn't ship in time, still sounds ace. I'm gonna carry on pushing their name to be The Rock Slot until we get to a point of the year we can actually do real guesses. Probably album of the day for me, and the best Metallica album since the black album.
  • Oh Sees has grown on me every play, there's a lot of faff but some mega tunes in there. Squeaky Toy intro caught me off guard, hope they do that live now though. Sounds like Oh Sees really, just a little more than usual.
  • Was a little worried about Sleater Kinney's when I found out the drummer was leaving, they've been such a great unit its a real shame. Still the album is brilliant, some of the subject matters are a bit lame but the songs as a whole are good enough. Finishes on a great note (I'm tone deaf, I can't say which note that is).
  • Didn't think much of the Friendly Fires album, its been such a miserable day weather wise that I'm willing to chalk it down to that and try it again when I believe the sun exists.
  • The Murder Capital's was great, saw them at Soup Kitchen a few months ago so knew they had the tunes, sounds great though. Just different enough to differentiate itself from Fontaines DC's brand of Irish Punk.
  • I lasted a few songs of Snoop Dogg's album and they weren't great. Hasn't really put anything out since BUSH I return to. Shame coz the album cover for this is amazing.
  • oso oso's was nice enough to listen to, again may have needed summer.
  • I enjoyed Blanck Mass' new one, I don't really know much about them. It was dance music I guess? I liked it, I don't know if its good dance music.

Didn't give Frank's or Ride's a go, there's only so much day though. Let me know if I'm missing out on anything.

37 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Hell of a day of music.

• King Gizz was appropriately heavy. Pity my record couldn't ship in time, still sounds ace. I'm gonna carry on pushing their name to be The Rock Slot until we get to a point of the year we can actually do real guesses. Probably album of the day for me, and the best Metallica album since the black album.
  • Oh Sees has grown on me every play, there's a lot of faff but some mega tunes in there. Squeaky Toy intro caught me off guard, hope they do that live now though. Sounds like Oh Sees really, just a little more than usual.
  • Was a little worried about Sleater Kinney's when I found out the drummer was leaving, they've been such a great unit its a real shame. Still the album is brilliant, some of the subject matters are a bit lame but the songs as a whole are good enough. Finishes on a great note (I'm tone deaf, I can't say which note that is).
  • Didn't think much of the Friendly Fires album, its been such a miserable day weather wise that I'm willing to chalk it down to that and try it again when I believe the sun exists.
  • The Murder Capital's was great, saw them at Soup Kitchen a few months ago so knew they had the tunes, sounds great though. Just different enough to differentiate itself from Fontaines DC's brand of Irish Punk.
  • I lasted a few songs of Snoop Dogg's album and they weren't great. Hasn't really put anything out since BUSH I return to. Shame coz the album cover for this is amazing.
  • oso oso's was nice enough to listen to, again may have needed summer.
  • I enjoyed Blanck Mass' new one, I don't really know much about them. It was dance music I guess? I liked it, I don't know if its good dance music.

Didn't give Frank's or Ride's a go, there's only so much day though. Let me know if I'm missing out on anything.

You're not really the poppy type are you? I'd say Shura's new one is a belter, but maybe not your cup of darjeeling. 

Just now, Quark said:

You're not really the poppy type are you? I'd say Shura's new one is a belter, but maybe not your cup of darjeeling. 

I'm down for anything, especially now I'm working late so I'll give it a go. I love what I consider good pop, even I don't know what that means though ahah. I am more comfortable handing the pyramid stage to the genre of metal though.

51 minutes ago, Quark said:

Enjoyed that, cheers. Helped me forget I'm working late on a Friday.

Now where did I put my thrash metal king gizzard and the lizard wizard album...

6 hours ago, priest17 said:

I enjoyed Blanck Mass' new one, I don't really know much about them. It was dance music I guess? I liked it, I don't know if its good dance music.

One half of Fuck Buttons I believe?

Fuck Buttons I love but not convinced by Blanck Mass yet, will give another go. 

Not too fond of the new Sleater-Kinney one. Take out 'The Dog/The Body' and the whole thing's about as shallow and uninspired as a Foster The People record or one of those types of groups. But the band started 25 years ago and nobody expects that much from other bands around for that long so it's no big deal.

3 hours ago, uscore said:

Fair. I think a single (Risk) was released from it a couple of months ago that made me notice the album.

Ah ok. Started reading your post and thought they had a new one so was compelled to correct you.

Check out ‘Get Lucky’, the new song by Daft Punk, if you get a chance.

Edited by dentalplan

Back from a weekend away to have new Frank Turner and Hold Steady albums waiting for me.

Frank - hmmmm.... need to give it time but it sounds like a side project rather than a fully fledged album.

The Hold Steady - delighted with this. Love it, great to have Franz back on board, the last 2 missed his keys. The horn section on a few of the songs are a welcome addition, lyrically it's everything you would expect from Craig, each song a collection of characters and references, superb.