2019 New Music

Amy Lawn

5 hours ago, Quark said:

Out of sync at the moment, what's coming next week then?

The three I'm most buzzing for are Sleater-Kinney's new one, King Gizzard's thrash metal album and Oh Sees mad double album (rounded off by a cheeky 20 minute number).

Curious to hear Hold Steady's new one, Blanck Mass', Friendly Fires', Frank Turner's as well.

Ride and oso oso have albums I'll get to at some point in my life, but the following Friday we've got Tropical Fuck Storm's second album and Sheer Mag's new on coming out (I believe a country-turned-pop singer has an album out that day as well which may dominate the headlines...) so fuck knows when.

Also new Girl Band single out next Thursday as well and everyone that's heard their new album says its worth the wait.

Buzzin.

EDIT: and The Murder Capital release their debut album that day.

Edited by priest17

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

The three I'm most buzzing for are Sleater-Kinney's new one, King Gizzard's thrash metal album and Oh Sees mad double album (rounded off by a cheeky 20 minute number).

Curious to hear Hold Steady's new one, Blanck Mass', Friendly Fires', Frank Turner's as well.

Ride and oso oso have albums I'll get to at some point in my life, but the following Friday we've got Tropical Fuck Storm's second album and Sheer Mag's new on coming out (I believe a country-turned-pop singer has an album out that day as well which may dominate the headlines...) so fuck knows when.

Also new Girl Band single out next Thursday as well and everyone that's heard their new album says its worth the wait.

Buzzin.

Well that's a fairly comprehensive answer :D

Friendly Fires and Frank Turner will prob get my attention, and the Ride album definitely will.  Not too fussed about the rest, but sure I'll end up listening to them at some point

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Friendly Fires and Frank Turner will prob get my attention, and the Ride album definitely will.  Not too fussed about the rest, but sure I'll end up listening to them at some point

Ahah August always provides which is perfect usually coz I'm over most the summer stuff and gig season hasn't kicked into gear yet.

Worth listening to the King Gizzard one so you're familiar with it when they storm the Rock Slot in 2020.

The Sleater Kinney one should be fab, ingles sound great and it was produced in some capacity by St Vincent, don't know how it can go wrong. Shame its pushed the drummer out (the most important part of any band).

1 hour ago, Quark said:

I'm a Frank Turner fan, but can't get excited about this new album. The songs I've heard sound like traditional folk and lack the energy I like in his music.

The podcast he's recorded about the women that inspired the songs is fairly interesting though:
https://open.spotify.com/show/2saiAextsiJkrJoRVfSZ2k

10 hours ago, priest17 said:

Buzzin.

EDIT: and The Murder Capital release their debut album that day.

New Jorja Smith and Charli XCX singles too

On 8/6/2019 at 7:58 PM, Badlands said:

Appreciate there’s still five months to go, but I’m shit out of ideas for what to listen to since my festival season ended. If anyone wishes to recommend some raker albums from this year that would be ace!! Cannot get past Vampire Weekend, Fontaines and Self Esteem.

Also didn’t think the new Channo album was half as bad as mentioned on here.

After sensing that my listening habits were becoming stale, at the start of this year I decided to log every album that I listened to. After a quiet January, this idea took on a new form and I actively started seeking albums that I had not heard before. As a result, I am just about to hit 550 albums for the year so far, with about 95% of those being albums that I had not listened to before. It’s been fun and definitely got me listening to bands I had never heard before. This thread has been an excellent source of new music every Friday!

Below are the list of albums (in the order that I listened to them) released this year that I noted as contenders for my album of the year.* At the end of the year I’ll listen to these (and any further notable releases) again and decide on a top ten. In the mean time I’ve bolded the ones that really stuck out. Weirdly I didn't note Self-Esteem as a contender, but Rollout is my most-listened to song of the year and her crow's nest set on the farm was the second best I saw this year. 

Unloved – Heartbreak

FEELS – Post Earth

Desperate Journalist – In Search Of The Miraculous

Snapped Ankles – Stunning Luxury

Reignwolf – Hear Me Out

FIDLAR – Almost Free

The Claypool Lennon Delirium – South Of Reality

Dave – Psychodrama

Teeth Of The Sea – Wraith

The Comet Is Coming – Trust In The Lifeforce Of The Deep Mystery

Queen Zee – Queen Zee

Red Rum Club – Matador

Epic Beard Man – This Was Supposed To Be Fun

Loyle Carner – Not Waving, But Drowning

Hot Chip – A Bath Full Of Ecstasy

International Teachers Of Pop – International Teachers Of Pop

*There is also a list of artists ‘never to listen to again’, featuring many artists that have come recommended from this board in one way or another :D There is also a list for ‘stopped listening, did not complete’ with one name against it. A pint of lukewarm ale to anyone who can guess the artist who released a critically acclaimed album earlier this year.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Second Big Thief album of the year Two Hands out October 11. U.F.O.F. is fighting it out for my AOTY at the moment so mega excited for this.

New song here (don’t think it’s on YouTube yet...)

https://music.apple.com/gb/album/not/1473012904?i=1473013069

Just to confirm for people it's on Spotify now.

Big Thief coming in with two AOTYs

On 8/1/2019 at 2:45 PM, FloorFiller said:

Surprised to see no mention of it (that I’ve noticed, anyway) but god is Chance the Rapper’s new album shite. Didn’t much like the direction he went in with Colouring Book but there were still a lot of great moments - this new one is an absolute slog, especially at 22 songs long. Acid Rap seems like an eternity ago.

in at 17 on its first week, dropped to 94 the second week.

seems like no-one gives a fuck about it whatsoever.

some interesting/funny albums ahead of it this week:

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/

Eminem's shit new albums, Green Day's greatest hits, Arctic Monkey's old albums and Kaiser Chief's new one ahead of it....

16 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Just catching up after a windy weekend in Winchester. 

The Slipknot album delivers. Going to feature on my AOTY ranking.

Aside from that I'm really digging the new Battles song

Posted this the other day, good innit? Excited to see where they're gonna go just the 2 of them, the live reviews so far have been great. 

New Girl Band as amazing as you'd expect, having to limit how much I listen to it. Don't think I can understate how glad I am they're back.

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

Posted this the other day, good innit? Excited to see where they're gonna go just the 2 of them, the live reviews so far have been great. 

Ah sorry, must have missed it when I was skimming/catching up. 

Yeah I see they have some dates coming up, I'm tempted.

I’m sure a lot of people are gonna be thrown off by the change in direction (and Janet’s departure that came with it) but Sleater-Kinney’s new’un is soundings damn good to me.

I’d completely forgot that new Friendly Fires was today but it’s better than anybody could’ve expected. Clearly backtracked on the ‘no more pop songs’ (or whatever it was) angle they were talking about post-Pala cause this is full of straight up dance bangers. Was thinking about getting a ticket for their tour and this may have clinched it.

Lots more great stuff to get stuck in to today/over the weekend!

Edited by FloorFiller
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 12:46 PM, ghostdancer1 said:

in at 17 on its first week, dropped to 94 the second week.

seems like no-one gives a fuck about it whatsoever.

some interesting/funny albums ahead of it this week:

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/

Eminem's shit new albums, Green Day's greatest hits, Arctic Monkey's old albums and Kaiser Chief's new one ahead of it....

Who is still buying Morning Glory and Whatever People Say...? How are they still selling enough copies to chart?

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Who is still buying Morning Glory and Whatever People Say...? How are they still selling enough copies to chart?

Do the album charts include downloads and streams?  I would guess the answer is yes based on this.

Edited by uscore