2019 New Music

Amy Lawn

12 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Just good stuff really. Pop, rock, hip hop. I’m sure there’s probably a website that can help me, but I forget the name of the one that scores averages of album reviews and I’ve lost my patience with p4k and nme 

Anydecentmusic ?

http://www.anydecentmusic.com/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Badlands said:

Just good stuff really. Pop, rock, hip hop. I’m sure there’s probably a website that can help me, but I forget the name of the one that scores averages of album reviews and I’ve lost my patience with p4k and nme 

I have rediscovered my love of Uncut magazine. 

21 hours ago, Quark said:

Ok, couple that have tickled my fancy this year...

Sigrid - Sucker Punch

The Skints - Learning to Swim

Palace - Life After

Bears Den - So That You Might Hear Me

Ten Fe - Future Perfect, Present Tense 

Sacred Paws - Run Around the Sun

IDER - Emotional Education

Girli - Odd One Out

Soak - Grim Town

Hot Chip - Bath Full of Ecstacy

Chemical Brothers  - No Geography

21 hours ago, Mardy said:

Cheers chaps, plenty to be getting into this evening. Mad how I’ve  pretty much the history of popular music at my fingertips, yet still struggle to find something to listen to!

22 hours ago, Badlands said:

Metacritic?

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/albums/score/metascore/year/filtered

1 hour ago, Badlands said:

Cheers chaps, plenty to be getting into this evening. Mad how I’ve  pretty much the history of popular music at my fingertips, yet still struggle to find something to listen to!

Decision fatigue. When faced with infinite choice and no guidance, you end up reverting to the familiar.

Would also recommend subscribing to some of the playlists on BBC Sounds. 6Music playlist and 6Music Recommends are both pretty good 

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Have you been listening to It’s a Pixies Podcast? Quite excited to hear a lot of these songs based on the raw components you hear on there, though this was one I was less pumped to hear and rightly so.

Nah, podcasts don't really appeal tbh, I'd rather just stick an album on usually. This one is worth a listen tho is it?

And yeah, the first single was comfortably better, but I don't mind it. I liked Head Carrier a lot (far more than the rest of the world seemed to) so I still have faith that they can put out a solid record.

2 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Nah, podcasts don't really appeal tbh, I'd rather just stick an album on usually. This one is worth a listen tho is it?

And yeah, the first single was comfortably better, but I don't mind it. I liked Head Carrier a lot (far more than the rest of the world seemed to) so I still have faith that they can put out a solid record.

Yeah for a Pixies fan, definitely. Basically a fly on the wall of the studio where you can listen into the recording process for this album and some casual interviews too. The band seems really chilled now, and Paz is brilliant,

Not sure Head Carrier was as derided as Indie Cindy but I imagine it was forgotten about quicker. There are some quality tracks on there but some just infuriatingly pedestrian. My feeling is that it will be largely the same fare here, but as long as there are a few rippers in there like Baal's Back, Bel Esprit and the song Head Carrier, it's positive for me. They're never gonna release another Doolittle or Surfer Rosa or the high watermark of rock in 2019 but as long as we're getting an album with glimpses of an exceptional songwriter at work then let's do it.

That new Slipknot album slaps.

Should change their name to Slapknot.

Except it does.

So Slapdoes.

Good album anyway, will tide me over nicely till Big Music Day next Friday Where I reckon 3 of the top 10 albums of the year will be unleashed upon us.

• Like 2

PP Arnold's new album out this morning.  Got a soft spot for this kind of sound, parents used to play a lot of this kind of late 60s soul. I absolutely love this already. Handy dandy pre-listen sample of all album tracks. Just glorious. 

2 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Good album anyway, will tide me over nicely till Big Music Day next Friday Where I reckon 3 of the top 10 albums of the year will be unleashed upon us.

Out of sync at the moment, what's coming next week then?

2 minutes ago, priest17 said:

That new Slipknot album slaps.

Should change their name to Slapknot.

Except it does.

So Slapdoes.

Yeah best thing they’ve done in ages. Not exactly breaking much new musical ground but a great mix of everything that’s come before. Proud to call myself a maggot for another few years at least.

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

I laugh, but I do like this, been listening to it a bit recently :)

Thought it was probably the one you mentioned .. :) . they seem to be slowly growing still and getting quite a bit of airplay ... and a decent fanbase but its still fingers crossed for the next level .. I don't really know how these things work ...