2019 New Music

Amy Lawn

2 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

The line she said she sung to her boyfriend made me think of Summer Babe- didn't realise Pavement had played at glastonbury in 1999

I went to a Pavement gig in london when they reformed, got there early having waited for the event for years,, staked out my place right near the front, only to be suddenly struck by vomiting and the trots minutes before they took to the stage- had to rush to the bathroom, and camp out at the edge of the the crowd for the rest of the performance, so I could keep rushing to the bathroom, while in a state of deliriousness. Terrible timing!

Malkmus is touring solo in this neck of the woods at the moment. Enjoyed his album this year.

https://www.songkick.com/artists/152051-stephen-malkmus/calendar

Surprised to see no mention of it (that I’ve noticed, anyway) but god is Chance the Rapper’s new album shite. Didn’t much like the direction he went in with Colouring Book but there were still a lot of great moments - this new one is an absolute slog, especially at 22 songs long. Acid Rap seems like an eternity ago.

53 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Surprised to see no mention of it (that I’ve noticed, anyway) but god is Chance the Rapper’s new album shite. Didn’t much like the direction he went in with Colouring Book but there were still a lot of great moments - this new one is an absolute slog, especially at 22 songs long. Acid Rap seems like an eternity ago.

It is probably the worst album of the year for me, mainly because it's been a long time coming!

51 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I didn't finish it so didn't bother mentioning it. It all seemed so positive when he went from Acid Rap to helping out on Surf. Then there was Ultralight Beam, one of my favourite Kanye songs, with his fingerprints all over it. New direction wasn't for me on CB but this one was just boring.

I do think melon was a little harsh on it, I did laugh when he lobbed his phone after reading some of the lines in his review though.

Also the album cover was awful.

Ah well.

Been alerted to the existence of Teskey Brothers by Twitter telling me they're playing Brighton next year, turns out they've got an album out today. Not exactly breaking new ground but I lurve this. Think I'll be bagging me a ticket.

Wow a Korn single I like in 2019! Fully entered their back to their roots phase after fannying about with dubstep.

Also that new Ty Segall album is well worth a go, very T-Rex at points.

Edited by priest17
I appreciate its hard to take any suggestion I make after saying I like a new Korn single seriously, its really worth a go though.

On 8/2/2019 at 12:21 AM, priest17 said:

Ricky Dawson has found a fuzz pedal and it's great, if a little less interesting than the lead single off his last album.

Love this. Tempted to fly over to see him in November. Saw him doing songs from ‘Peasant’ last year and it was incredible.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

Love this. Tempted to fly over to see him in November. Saw him doing songs from ‘Peasant’ last year and it was incredible.

Caught him a couple of times last tour and yeah he's a great watch, the banter between songs while his voice regenerates was an unexpected joy as well, really interested to see how this newet stuff will fit in with the older stuff. I loved the medieval folk stuff but it feels very done now, excited for his next chapter. Cheers for the heads up that he's touring, I hadn't seen.

23 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Nah it's fucked up that bands have to do this now because they're shit scared of getting sued.

I agree generally, but in this instance ... probably the only way it could be more obviously inspired by Walk is if they’d included some casual transphobia and racism in the lyrics.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

4 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

I agree generally, but in this instance ... probably the only way it could be more obviously inspired by Walk is if they’d included some casual transphobia and racism in the lyrics.

“Inspired by”. Bands shouldn’t pay out for being inspired by something. Actually lifting from source material? Yes. Making a song that has a similar vibe? Naw.

8 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Curious as to where you've found racism in the song. Surely you don't mean using the word 'coloured' in 1972? And on transphobia - does the subject matter being cross-dressers really make it 'transphobic'? Or is there something else in there that is negative or insulting that I've not noticed?

Appreciate there’s still five months to go, but I’m shit out of ideas for what to listen to since my festival season ended. If anyone wishes to recommend some raker albums from this year that would be ace!! Cannot get past Vampire Weekend, Fontaines and Self Esteem.

Also didn’t think the new Channo album was half as bad as mentioned on here.

37 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Appreciate there’s still five months to go, but I’m shit out of ideas for what to listen to since my festival season ended. If anyone wishes to recommend some raker albums from this year that would be ace!! Cannot get past Vampire Weekend, Fontaines and Self Esteem.

Also didn’t think the new Channo album was half as bad as mentioned on here.

Any genre preference? Or just good stuff?

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Any genre preference? Or just good stuff?

Just good stuff really. Pop, rock, hip hop. I’m sure there’s probably a website that can help me, but I forget the name of the one that scores averages of album reviews and I’ve lost my patience with p4k and nme 

15 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Just good stuff really. Pop, rock, hip hop. I’m sure there’s probably a website that can help me, but I forget the name of the one that scores averages of album reviews and I’ve lost my patience with p4k and nme 

Ok, couple that have tickled my fancy this year...

Sigrid - Sucker Punch

The Skints - Learning to Swim

Palace - Life After

Bears Den - So That You Might Hear Me

Ten Fe - Future Perfect, Present Tense 

Sacred Paws - Run Around the Sun

IDER - Emotional Education

Girli - Odd One Out

Soak - Grim Town

Hot Chip - Bath Full of Ecstacy

Chemical Brothers  - No Geography

Edited by Quark