2019 New Music

Amy Lawn

Looking forward to giving the new Alex Lahey and Grim Streaker albums a spin later, been enjoying the singles from both albums.

Highly recommend the new single from Rascalton, new Hatchie, The Cosmics and Cheap Teeth singles out today as well which I've enjoyed!  Egyptian Blue had a new single out yesterday which is excellent, have been on tour with The Murder Capital the past few weeks.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Really liking Tylers new album. He’s always been a great producer but it really shines on this one I think.

Carly Rae’s is good without being the pop masterclass I’m sure a lot of people were hoping for. Doesn’t quite have the highs of Emotion but there’s enough here for fans of big pop belters.

Got through half of Rammstein’s album which is sounding more or less exactly like you’d expect, which is only a good thing for me.

Still got The National and Slowthai lined up. Anything else that might’ve slipped under my radar on this already music packed day?

Interpol!

14 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Big fan (or at least used to be) of Slipknot but this sounds very by the numbers to me. Not that Slipknot are exactly known for their big reinventions, but it sounds like I’ve heard this a lot before and they’ve just added the choir bits to differentiate it in any way from previous stuff.

I read that they're proud of this record as they've taken their time with it and made a proper album instead of a collection of tracks this time round, so I don't really expect any really heavy hitters but interested into how it works as a whole.

3 hours ago, AldoTVAOF said:

Looking forward to giving the new Alex Lahey and Grim Streaker albums a spin later, been enjoying the singles from both albums.

Highly recommend the new single from Rascalton, new Hatchie, The Cosmics and Cheap Teeth singles out today as well which I've enjoyed!  Egyptian Blue had a new single out yesterday which is excellent, have been on tour with The Murder Capital the past few weeks.

Alex Lahey new album is a banger.  I can't believe DIYMAG said it was lame in parts!!

3 hours ago, AldoTVAOF said:

Not that fussed about Alex Lahey's latest one after the singles but loved her last album so curious on your thoughts when you've got through that.

Cheers for the Egyptian Blue heads up, I really got into them when I was supposed to see them before Murder Capital but got there late. I'll check out the rest of your suggestions later on

32 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Not that fussed about Alex Lahey's latest one after the singles but loved her last album so curious on your thoughts when you've got through that.

Cheers for the Egyptian Blue heads up, I really got into them when I was supposed to see them before Murder Capital but got there late. I'll check out the rest of your suggestions later on

I enjoyed it, although if you weren't a fan of the singles I wouldn't bother as feel the singles are pretty representative of the rest of the album.  I do like it although definitely prefer her first album.  There is one song on the new album, Misery Guts, that is a bit different and reminded me slightly of Courtney Barnett's latest record.

Let me know what you think of the others!

2 hours ago, AldoTVAOF said:

I enjoyed it, although if you weren't a fan of the singles I wouldn't bother as feel the singles are pretty representative of the rest of the album.  I do like it although definitely prefer her first album.  There is one song on the new album, Misery Guts, that is a bit different and reminded me slightly of Courtney Barnett's latest record.

Let me know what you think of the others!

I loved the first album coz it was fun youthful guitar music, reminded me of the first Vaccines album in some ways. Wouldn't have worked it she'd just replicated it for the second so glad people are digging where she's gone next.

I enjoyed all of those, particularly Cheap Teeth, though I'm a sucker for a good organ. Wasn't massively convinced by Rascalton but I think that's just coz there'e a lot of that about at the moment. I need to keep an eye out for that Cozmics EP, I really liked Johnny when it came out a couple of years ago and they've come a fair way since then. Cheers for all that anyway.

7 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

First play of the Rammstein album. Liking this. Good comeback.

Highlights - Deutschland, Zeig Dich & Sex.

Sex is what muse have wanted to sound like for years.

Now to translate the lyrics. 

The new Rammstein album absolutely slaps. I really wanted to go see them in MIlton Keynes but its a nightmare to get there from where I live.

I dont normally like music vids but I actually quite like this. 

Edited by Xeph1995

The National album was as good as I'd anticipated. Tyler's was alright, bit of a boneless flower boy for me on first listen, I'll go back to it though. The Raconteurs song sounded great as well, looking forward to that album, probably won't get listened to till post-G though.

Really liked Imperial Wax's debut, they sound a little less like The Fall than I'd hoped but that makes complete sense, they aren't The Fall with Mark. With the lad from Black Pudding they got it they're a little closer to the likes of cabbage mostly, there's a couple of longer tracks they get to differentiate themselves and show off as a really tight band. They'll be ripping up small venues for years ahead, looking forward to seeing them in a couple of months.

Interpol EP is amazing, its got all the solid tunes the last couple of albums have had without any of the filler ones, really solid set of songs. Seen them many times before, probably will again in June.

Winner of the day for me though is Slowthai. British rap can be so cringe but he handles it really well, the guests put in great shifts. I'm not a massive fan of the typical grimey trappy beats so glad he mixes it up, sounds almost Jamie T-esque at points (that's a compliment from me no matter how you interpret it ahah).

Been a good day.

I saw Slowthai at his Boiler Room album release in a tiny pub in Northampton and it was fucking great. 1 hour 40 minutes long, with Skepta turning up at the end.

Pretty much one of the only decent things about living in Northampton these days! 

Reckon his set will be one of the 'were you there' moments. Maybe he won't reach the heights of headlining like Stormzy but think he could be an important British artist for years to come.