2019 New Music

Amy Lawn

I'm really liking the Anteros record and unlike others on this thread think they have improved the songs that were on the early EP's - really enjoyably listen.  A lot of good music released today, that Hotel Lux single is a belter and I'm really enjoying the Crows album.

1 hour ago, AldoTVAOF said:

I'm really liking the Anteros record and unlike others on this thread think they have improved the songs that were on the early EP's - really enjoyably listen.  

Interesting. To me it just felt like they'd made them a bit louder and more polished, and lost that slightly woozy kinda sound they had before. If they'd just moved on with that newer sound on new songs and not redone the old ones I'd have found it less jarring. It's still going to get a few more spins now I've got my head around it though

Not a bad release from Ex Hex, not really feeling it at the moment (bit forgettable, but give it a couple of spins). Will probably catch them at a festival this year (clashes permitting). 

Prefer Nilüfer Yanya at the moment, up there with best new music this year for me (preliminary conclusion, only on first listen :P )

Edited by StupidDream

Catching up from last Friday, both Crows and The Murlocs have put out great albums.

Didn't used to think much of Crows but this albums great, not as heavy as I was expecting but amazing. First song on the album could be a Nick Cave song but they get about with their influences a bit after that. Really excited to see them support IDLES next week now. 

The Murlocs is what you'd expect, a little more dreamy than Old Locomotive but a really solid album. Gonna rack up some serious plays over the summer.

8 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Album is nice, if a little too MOR in parts (though tbh she can do no wrong in my eyes ?).

You're spot on, BSR, Jenny Lewis is always great, from Rabbit Fur Coat, right up until now. Four really good albums. Saw her when she was promoting the last album and she was ace live too. 

43 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Aren't you always first in line to throw a rotten tomato at Mick Fleetwood and the lads?  Even back in Rilo Kiley the similarity was always there.

It’s all subjective. Problem with algorithms innit? You like this? Then you’ll probably also like this. Nope.

What’s brand Mardy? Fey indie nonsense about being lonely. Can’t fucking stand the Smiths though, even though it should be right up my (lonely and deserted, slightly run-down) street.

I’m not going to be pretend I’m in any way rational or logical about it. My dislike of FM is not solely based on their music, there’s a whole host of factors that mean I can’t be doing with them. Personally, I’m often pretty MOR, I reckon. Kasey Musgroves probably my favourite album of last year. 

11 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Mardy recoiling from the “hard rock” section in a record store highly amusing. 

hehehe, man, those covers, the fonts, the images. My eyes still haven't stopped burning. And that's without even listening to 'em. I had to seek refuge in the nearby jazz fusion section. Also musically dreadful but not as aesthetically upsetting.

3 hours ago, Mardy said:

You're spot on, BSR, Jenny Lewis is always great, from Rabbit Fur Coat, right up until now. Four really good albums. Saw her when she was promoting the last album and she was ace live too. 

Yep, and I’d go back further and include her Rilo Kiley stuff. The Jenny & Johnny album is a breezy gem too.