2019 New Music

Amy Lawn

So, quick round up. Enjoyed the new Ari record. Different vibe to Sweetener and none of it feels like leftovers, which I was worried about with such a quick release following up from the last record. New AJ Tracey is quality as well. Can see that being on repeat for a few weeks like James Blake has. Not warmed to the new Mahalia track as much as I Wish I Missed My Ex and Surprise Me but that will probably grow after a few listens. 

God damn this week was stacked with releases:

New Marina track is a bit dull imo. It's a fine ballad, but was hoping for something with a bit more oomph for her comeback.

New Ariana is much more my style (Seems like a good cross between Sweetener and Dangerous Woman). 7 Rings seems like such a weird choice for a single imo considering the strength of bloodline and bad idea.And agreed hoping there is less trap beats on her next record (though I like the pace of releases. Rap artists who dominate on spotify release yearly, so why not pop artists too).

Thought the Disclosure x Khalid song was interesting. Not Disclosures usual style really, but alright as a Khalid song (The Friendly Fires collab was much better collab imo). Just hope this means we get a Khalid feature on the new Disclosure album.

Really not feeling this new Pet Shop Boys EP either.

I actually really like the Mahalia track, her vocals are really great on it (though the production is a little meh)

New Feed Me single is really great too, really caught me off guard as I was expecting his normal heavy electro house style, but it was really nice and melodic. Super excited to see what his new album holds now.

The Amazons new single is horribly mastered imo, the singing is so quiet and the guitars sound so blown out. Really not a fan.

Still got AJ Tracey to go

21 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Really not feeling this new Pet Shop Boys EP either.

It’s appalling. I love them, but that’s the worst thing they’ve done by a million miles. Surprising, cos the last album was so strong

Liked Ariana Grande's new album. Not really my field but I loved thank u, next so much I owed it to listen to the whole album. 

YAK on the other hand are much more up my street and new album didn't disappoint. Not as blunt as the first one but still great. I thought they were gonna take over the world when I first heard Smile all those years ago, hasn't happened but they're still releasing quality stuff. Ace live as well.

Flat Worms EP still in my queue to listen to but dunno when I'll get round to it, probably Monday at this rate. Can't see how it can be bad though.

2 hours ago, priest17 said:

YAK on the other hand are much more up my street and new album didn't disappoint. Not as blunt as the first one but still great. I thought they were gonna take over the world when I first heard Smile all those years ago, hasn't happened but they're still releasing quality stuff. Ace live as well.

I enjoyed their first album but kind of forgot about it over time. New one is sounding much stronger to my ears. Can see it getting a lot of plays from me. Playing in Liverpool in a couple of months so will probably head to that.

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

On a slow catch up so still on last week’s releases but the debut album from Spielbergs is well worth sinking your jaws into. @kingcrawler @FloorFiller you checked this out?

Ah shit had been meaning to check this out but totally forgot. It’s brilliant - some great Dinosaur Jr vibes here. Cheers for the reminder!

14 hours ago, zero000 said:

Yeah pretty good track. Any idea why she's gone solo now?

It always was essentially a solo project. Stina writes all the lyrics and music. Not sure why she’s presenting herself as solo now though. Be interesting to see what the live set up is now. I’m a massive fan of her/them, but the few times I’ve seen them live they’ve fell a bit flat. You could really tell they never had a live bassist or rhythm guitar.

8 hours ago, dentalplan said:

On a slow catch up so still on last week’s releases but the debut album from Spielbergs is well worth sinking your jaws into. @kingcrawler @FloorFiller you checked this out?

Yeah it’s really good, didn’t really know much about them before last week which I think helped, was good coming into it fresh rather than knowing 3 or 4 singles. 

2 hours ago, Rubber Soldier said:

It always was essentially a solo project. Stina writes all the lyrics and music. Not sure why she’s presenting herself as solo now though. Be interesting to see what the live set up is now. I’m a massive fan of her/them, but the few times I’ve seen them live they’ve fell a bit flat. You could really tell they never had a live bassist or rhythm guitar.

Ah right I'd always thought they were a two piece. Think all of the records have been really solid, but the only time I've seen her live I was so blitzed that I'm unable to comment on the technicalities ?