2019 New Music

Amy Lawn

15 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Looking forward to White Lies new record this Friday. Love all the singles they've released particularly Tokyo and Believe It. Hoping they turn up on the farm as I'm giving the UK tour a miss.

They've gotta be near certs for the Other. Haven't played since 2014 and they're defo gonna be about.

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

Looking forward to White Lies new record this Friday. Love all the singles they've released particularly Tokyo and Believe It. Hoping they turn up on the farm as I'm giving the UK tour a miss.

Caved in and bought tickets for Leeds, due to having Tokyo lodged in my head. But yeah, imagine they'll be back on the farm, as they gave it a swerve on the last album.

12 minutes ago, Lubic87 said:

Caved in and bought tickets for Leeds, due to having Tokyo lodged in my head. But yeah, imagine they'll be back on the farm, as they gave it a swerve on the last album.

They left it free on their touring schedule but weren't booked. Hopefully not the same this year!

9 minutes ago, briddj said:

They left it free on their touring schedule but weren't booked. Hopefully not the same this year!

Ah didn't realise that! The album itself seemed to go by pretty unnoticed, compared to their previous efforts anyway.  Enjoyed their 2014 performance - nice sunny afternoon on the Other.  Same again please.

12 minutes ago, Lubic87 said:

Ah didn't realise that! The album itself seemed to go by pretty unnoticed, compared to their previous efforts anyway.  Enjoyed their 2014 performance - nice sunny afternoon on the Other.  Same again please.

That was bliss. I was introduced to the band that afternoon, what a way to do it.

2 hours ago, briddj said:

Bugger! Hopefully that doesn't happen this year.

1 hour ago, Lubic87 said:

I think Friends is their best album. I like the early stuff but in my opinion what they've put out over the last few years is streets ahead.

10 hours ago, priest17 said:

Also that new Sneaks album is top banana, I had no idea she was gearing up to release another one, it's a great move forward on her part.

I really liked her first two albums. 

It was so simple and worked really well. Drum Machine + Bass + Voice. A formula that really didn't go that wrong if you ask me. The shortness of the tracks also had a Pixies vibe to it, felt very simple, basic and with a punk feeling to it. 

Then I went to see her a few months past when she played the Islington in London. She played a lot of material from this new album and it's a huge deviation from why I started listening to her. She barely picked up the bass. It was all her singing to wacky, over-produced beats/tracks singing with a bunch of filters on her vocals. 

If she doesn't want to make music like her first two albums anymore that's fine, but I don't see myself bothering with any more of her future releases :( 

1 hour ago, Acid Loafers said:

I really liked her first two albums. 

It was so simple and worked really well. Drum Machine + Bass + Voice. A formula that really didn't go that wrong if you ask me. The shortness of the tracks also had a Pixies vibe to it, felt very simple, basic and with a punk feeling to it. 

Then I went to see her a few months past when she played the Islington in London. She played a lot of material from this new album and it's a huge deviation from why I started listening to her. She barely picked up the bass. It was all her singing to wacky, over-produced beats/tracks singing with a bunch of filters on her vocals. 

If she doesn't want to make music like her first two albums anymore that's fine, but I don't see myself bothering with any more of her future releases :( 

Fair. I think there was only so far she could take that old stuff (which I did really like), it's annoying when acts you like leave you for directions you don't like. Have you listened to the album since the gig?

22 hours ago, Lubic87 said:

New album has had favourable reviews (from places that still actually review bands other than the elite) so far, hopefully bodes well for the June call-up.

4 hours ago, priest17 said:

Fair. I think there was only so far she could take that old stuff (which I did really like), it's annoying when acts you like leave you for directions you don't like. Have you listened to the album since the gig?

Checked it out over lunch and nah, really doesn't do anything for me. Just sounds like a bad imitation of Yung Lean. 

Hope this path gets her some recognition/success, but I'm going to be that guy at the back of her shows saying "I prefer her earlier stuff". ?‍♂️

Big fan of Malibu Ken, listened to it a few times now.

Noname's new track Room 31 is great. Looking forward to seeing her live in a couple months.

Sharon Van Etten's album was very enjoyable.

Harmony Hall is a cool little tune, looking forward to VW's new album.

Really not a fan of the new BMTH album. Very different from their previous stuff so if you didn't like any of that you might like this one.

On 1/28/2019 at 11:36 AM, jyoung said:

I'm seeing them on Friday night.  Doesn't leave me a lot of time to get accustomed to the new tracks!