2019 New Music

Amy Lawn

SO has anyone gotten on to the potential copyright infringement in the new Vampire weekend song Harmony Hall?

Unless they have already asked permission from George Michael's team? 

It's basically got Freedom playing in the background from about 40 seconds in...  Still bloody love the song though :D

Edited by Havors

What I love about the Weezer covers album is how close the covers are to the original.  Often in a cover you are looking for them to rework it slightly ("make it their own"), but here the joke (for want of a better word) works best because it's just Weezer performing the song as it is.

19 minutes ago, uscore said:

What I love about the Weezer covers album is how close the covers are to the original.  Often in a cover you are looking for them to rework it slightly ("make it their own"), but here the joke (for want of a better word) works best because it's just Weezer performing the song as it is.

A couple of them are really good. Everybody Wants to Rule the World is great. 

31 minutes ago, uscore said:

The cover of Paranoid is flaccid and pointless. They seem like a really bored (and boring) band.

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

The cover of Paranoid is flaccid and pointless. They seem like a really bored (and boring) band.

I can see how they've opened themselves to that line of criticism. But i think it's deliberate, I think it's a really dry sense of humour.  Just the whole joke is Weezer playing some classic pop songs but very much as weezer songs.

It's also got them a few headlines ahead of their new proper album, which I think is out in March.  So a fun bit of promo.

5 minutes ago, uscore said:

I can see how they've opened themselves to that line of criticism. But i think it's deliberate, I think it's a really dry sense of humour.  Just the whole joke is Weezer playing some classic pop songs but very much as weezer songs.

It's also got them a few headlines ahead of their new proper album, which I think is out in March.  So a fun bit of promo.

They're not as Weezer songs though, they're really straight covers.

In other news, new Catfish announced... 'The Balance' out 26th April.

Couldn't see an appropriate thread to drop this so hope this one's ok.

What are the alternatives to 6Music? Pretty happy with it most of the time but it's changed a fair bit in the last couple of years and other than playing my own stuff I'd be interested in somewhere else. Mary Anne Hobbs is just unbearable for me; she makes everythings sound like a Marks and Spencers ad; sometime just want to give her a shake to wake her up. Cerys' show is now almost a no-go for me; just too self indulgent.

• Upvote 1

On 1/25/2019 at 10:57 PM, Superunknown said:

New Maggie Rogers is stunning, loving this album. Overnight is catchy pop bop. 

I second this message. The singles she's released over the past few years take up a large part of the record, but there's still some brilliant new stuff on there and the last three tracks are superb. Watching her set on the John Peel was a highlight of 2017, so I'm really glad the record holds up.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SighMo said:

Couldn't see an appropriate thread to drop this so hope this one's ok.

What are the alternatives to 6Music? Pretty happy with it most of the time but it's changed a fair bit in the last couple of years and other than playing my own stuff I'd be interested in somewhere else. Mary Anne Hobbs is just unbearable for me; she makes everythings sound like a Marks and Spencers ad; sometime just want to give her a shake to wake her up. Cerys' show is now almost a no-go for me; just too self indulgent.

KEXP and NTS are the radio stations I listen to, NTS is quite different to 6 Music but KEXP has a fair amount of crossover.

• Like 1