2019 New Music

Amy Lawn

17 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

What did you make of theirs? I really liked their album from a few years ago but this new one just seemed a bit dull. I'll certainly give it a few more listens but so far nowhere near as good as WU LYF or their first album for me. 

Spiritual Songs For Lovers To Sing was decent but nowhere near as good as Go Tell Fire To The Mountain. Will give the new one a listen next but not holding much hope if the reviews are to be believed.

58 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

What did you make of theirs? I really liked their album from a few years ago but this new one just seemed a bit dull. I'll certainly give it a few more listens but so far nowhere near as good as WU LYF or their first album for me. 

Sharon Van Etten and The Twilight Sad have been the highlights for me so far today. Maggie Rogers album was decent too but doubt it's one I'll come back to too often.

Not listened. I’ve liked their pre-release tracks though so it should grab me.

39 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Spiritual Songs For Lovers To Sing was decent but nowhere near as good as Go Tell Fire To The Mountain. Will give the new one a listen next but not holding much hope if the reviews are to be believed.

You are the only reviewer that matters xxxxx

But also the reviews I’d seen before kingcrawler just now were all good.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

You are the only reviewer that matters xxxxx

But also the reviews I’d seen before kingcrawler just now were all good.

That's true. I'm sure I saw a crap review somewhere but it was probably just the NME or something meaningless like that.

Anyway... I'm about half way through the record and have only found one song not boring / okay so far.

9 hours ago, jyoung said:

Just settling into the Maggie Rogers' record. Real feel good vibe about it, perfect for a sunny day on the farm. I'll dive into James Blake later this afternoon. If he returned, where would he play? Headlining Other Stage? Not sure where to place him after the West Holts set (which was amazing!).

Nah not big enough to headline Other. Got him down to sub it atm (he worked well subbing Radiohead at Lollapalooza the other year). Other than that I could only imagine JP headline.

8 hours ago, ConorC said:

This is such a vibe.

James Blake and 3 stacks was only ever gonna end one way.

So good. Album is brilliant.

Have been listening to the SvE album for the last few days and I've already mentioned how much I've been enjoying that.

Also had the Deerhunter album a while which is good, but not as good as the two I've just mentioned.

Listened to the LUH album and enjoyed it with the exception of the opener (which I'd already heard and not liked tbf).

Still got the rest of em to get through.

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

Can't decide whether to get James Blake tickets for Hamersmith or assume he'll be at Glastonbury. He'll turn up won't he?

I was the same but bought one just because I know he's gonna clash with someone at Glasto. He'll definitely be top 2 on one of the stages if he's there, and there's already so much I wanna see at headline time (Stormzy, Strokes, Cure, Chems, Wu-Tang, Janelle).

3 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I was the same but bought one just because I know he's gonna clash with someone at Glasto. He'll definitely be top 2 on one of the stages if he's there, and there's already so much I wanna see at headline time (Stormzy, Strokes, Cure, Chems, Wu-Tang, Janelle).

Yeah, good point. You might be right there. But, on reflection, don’t think i can justify flying to London midweek to see him. Just think i’ll have to pray to the clash gods.

Really happy with how much I love James Blake's latest, after loving the first 2 I couldn't really get my head round the third one.

As other's have said hard to say where he'd end up. He's perfect for West Holts but headlined there last time so you think he'd move up. I was really pleasantly surprised with how well he went down at the arena last year, maybe he could nail an Other sub slot or something. He could probably nail an Other headline slot, especially as Alt-J and The XX both managed it, there seems to be a bunch of other people in those slots already though.

Big thumbs up for Shazza. I was listening to an interview with her saying she wanted to make something like Portishead meets Nick Cave meets Suicide - she does a damn good job.

Horizontal thumbs for James Blake. It’s alright - the song with 3-Stacks is probably the big highlight.

I quite like LUH effort but not as good as the debut on first couple of goes; finishes really strongly though.