Super Bock Super Rock 2019

joaommaia

2 hours ago, young_contra said:

why wouldn't they? they slightly teased it and it would be a fitting name as an hip-hop headliner

He's too big, wouldn't justify the budget and I think he just doesn't fit as an hip-hop headliner, he's way past his prime and they seem to prefer modern rap artists/groups as headliners.

On 2/27/2019 at 4:30 PM, young_contra said:

So errrrr is this still getting The Strokes or what?

My hopes are down. I think SBSR will get Kings of Leon. End of story ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ or I'm just being negative.

Anyway, I guess we'll know the headliner in the next two weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Now that I've found the right thread (thanks @birchtree29 ) we did Super Bock Super Rock on the same trip as NOS Alive - well, most of it anyway.

Nice setting and during the day there were free shuttle buses between the festival site and the beach, which we used for two of the days.  We got there on the Wednesday and there was little on - one stage in the arena open for a "warm up party", but the rest of the arena fenced off and no food stalls open - the only food options were on the campsite and even then they weren't ready until after 7pm.  Lots of bars as you would expect given sponsor, including one at the main entrance and one on the campsite - and a "supermarket" selling cold Super Bock and Sommersby and little else.

Thursday was headlined by Lana Del Ray (with Jungle and then the 1975 before) and front of stage was rammed.  The whole site footprint was more than enough for the numbers attending but there seemed relatively little room between the sound desk and main stage, made worse by a VIP / golden section on one side.  I went down initially for Cat Power (4th on the bill) and by then there were already plenty of LDR fans camped out near the barrier (sitting and taking no notice of what was on stage).  By the time LDR came on it was quite uncomfortable and we moved after about 40 minutes to watch the rest from the back.

Then the fun really started - we camped and could hear car horns and alarms going off long into the night.  Next day their social media was full of complaints about the queues to get out of the car park and long waits (3-4 hours) for buses back into Lisbon.  In hindsight it was an obvious error on their part, in moving to a new site and then putting the most popular act on the first night.  Also you could tell from both entering the arena and on leaving after LDR that day ticket attendees massively outnumbered the campers that day.  There seemed to be some changes in the traffic management etc on the second and third nights and fewer complaints, but that may have had more to do with the drop in numbers after Thursday.

Friday was much quieter - we missed the first ten minutes or so of C&TQ (but could hear) waiting for our order at the merch, and still walked straight up to the front for the rest of the set. Between Ch&TQ and Phoenix we went to the other end to catch about half of Charlotte Gainsbourg's set and then headed back to wait for Phoenix and again got a really good spot, although it did get busier just before and during the set.

With little of interest on the final night (only really Janelle Monae for me, with one or two others I would have checked out) we made the decision on Saturday morning to head back into Lisbon for a 'normal' night before we flew back yesterday.  As it turned out a TV channel was broadcasting the festival live so we watched Janelle on the TV and again it looked very quiet before she came on, though seemed to get busier later in the set (not sure if there was a clash).  You could tell from the scanning shots that the arena was very quiet overall though.

Either way, Friday and Saturday had nowhere near the numbers of Thursday.  They have however already announced next year's dates so it must still be adding up somehow (guessing the sponsorship and TV money props it up).  It did feel very much like an lifestyle "experience" to look good on Instagram though I suppose you could say that about lots of festivals (especially when you're a middle aged grump like me).

Would maybe consider it again in the unlikely event of a killer line up, otherwise it's a case of been there, done that, glad we went but not a 'must do again'.