Deer Shed 2019

DDave

On 7/24/2019 at 11:50 AM, Declan said:

I kind of think kids should tag-a-long to what their parents are doing it's not necessary to reinvent things to put children front and centre. Deer Shed take a different view. 

Quite the take, this mind. There's more than enough festivals that cater for grown ups.

This'll be our 2nd Deer Shed. We did Kendal with our young one when he was 1 and it wasn't much fun - there's a few bits it's not massively kids friendly. I'd probably not do Deer Shed without kids mind, it's not the sort of place where you'd go to get wasted all day.

Back onto Fontaines, I see they played Beni last week and have more gigs lined up the following week. My guess is they've sacked off the low paying fests now they're climbing the ladder. Tories!

1 hour ago, Badlands said:

Back onto Fontaines, I see they played Beni last week and have more gigs lined up the following week. My guess is they've sacked off the low paying fests now they're climbing the ladder. Tories!

That wouldn't make any sense though? Surely they'd still play the ones they are booked for and  then change their policy after that. Otherwise they are just losing out on a decent amount of money for no real reason. 

I dunno quite what their schedule is at the minute but it would be very odd to cancel two UK festival that are so close together and yet still pay lots of money to ship them over to Spain for Benicassim.

1 hour ago, Guy Incognito said:

That wouldn't make any sense though? Surely they'd still play the ones they are booked for and  then change their policy after that. Otherwise they are just losing out on a decent amount of money for no real reason. 

I dunno quite what their schedule is at the minute but it would be very odd to cancel two UK festival that are so close together and yet still pay lots of money to ship them over to Spain for Benicassim.

You would have thought for probably a 40 mins to an hour set they would have taken it easy and had a few early nights when not playing a gig and then rolled their sleeves up and got on with it for the 3 or 4 they have cancelled ?

5 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Their placings @ Truck, Deer Shed and Y-Not aren't reflecting of their current size and are fairly small capacity festivals. Obviously this is pure speculation fuelled from being narked that they were my no.1 act to see over the weekend. It's odd though either way you look at it though - deciding to take a week off but playing gigs just after the announcement.

11 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Their placings @ Truck, Deer Shed and Y-Not aren't reflecting of their current size and are fairly small capacity festivals. Obviously this is pure speculation fuelled from being narked that they were my no.1 act to see over the weekend. It's odd though either way you look at it though - deciding to take a week off but playing gigs just after the announcement.

If they cancel End Of The Road, which has a capacity of roughly 15k compared to Y Not's estimated 30,000+, then maybe I'll think you're on to something.

59 minutes ago, Badlands said:

History shows plenty of acts have become the big thing after being booked for a gig.  Their management were happy to book em and in Deer Sheds case I think they were headlining a stage.  Accidents , illness etc excepted I just think it’s unprofessional and surely for all concerned including festival organisers and fans that they could not just have got on with it.

I remember years ago seeing Groove Armada ( Live ) in Leeds and they apologised but they had only landed in Heathrow that morning from Australia and drove straight upto Yorkshire to sound check then play.

Well my first Deer Shed and I loved it.

Sticking solely with the " WILL I ENJOY THE BANDS DUE TO TOO MANY CHILDREN " theme.

I have to say yes there were a lot of children but they in no way made the festival any less special for an adult male going on their own to watch bands.

The main stage is prob the best main stage I have come across since going to festivals in the 80's but obviously discounting ones I have not been to.  The viewing , sound , lights were all spot on and at the front you were not 40 foot from the performers.  Always easy to get to the front and get a good spot. The smaller tents were good to although "In The Dock " could do to lose the pole front of stage.

I really wanted to see Pip Blom , Rolling Blackout CF but the surprises were the bands I new little about - She Drew The Gun being one of them.

So for 2020 if the line up interests you then I would definitely recommend it and don't be put off with a few little ones.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, ivan said:

erWell my first Deer Shed and I loved it.

Sticking solely with the " WILL I ENJOY THE BANDS DUE TO TOO MANY CHILDREN " theme.

I have to say yes there were a lot of children but they in no way made the festival any less special for an adult male going on their own to watch bands.

The main stage is prob the best main stage I have come across since going to festivals in the 80's but obviously discounting ones I have not been to.  The viewing , sound , lights were all spot on and at the front you were not 40 foot from the performers.  Always easy to get to the front and get a good spot. The smaller tents were good to although "In The Dock " could do to lose the pole front of stage.

I really wanted to see Pip Blom , Rolling Blackout CF but the surprises were the bands I new little about - She Drew The Gun being one of them.

So for 2020 if the line up interests you then I would definitely recommend it and don't be put off with a few little ones.

Glad to hear you had a good time. There's definitely been a shift towards louder music in the last few years whereas there was more emphasis on acoustic music in the past (Though maybe that's partly due to a change in musical tastes as when it started it was the era of Mumfords, Noah & the Whale et al. Akala was a brave choice for them but it totally paid off as the "In the Dock" stage was rammed (as it was for much of the weekend.)

The layout also helps as one side is all the sedate music (Pom Poko excluded - who were immense), workshops and comedy whilst the other side is the main music area so can make the festival what you want it to be.

Highlight for me had to be Wooze singing "Boys in a Better Land" as if reimagined by Devo (who needs Foutaines DC).

I saw all of Akala and yes he was brilliant , I think having a drummer ( who was excellent ) really made a difference to the sound .

Highlight for me were Rolling Blackout who I thought gave us the perfect headline set - I managed to chat to the band afterward which was really nice.

But other highlights were  The Wedding Present ( I was not so sure at first but then they really clicked for me  and was good to see blokes in the fifties having a right indie dance.  ), watching BC Camplight all drinking  a bottle of white wine each on stage , Pigs  , Sunflower Bean - the guitarist reminded me of Nicky Wire in his headscarf,   She Drew The Gun . 

I never got to see Pom Poko but I saw em the other year at Leeds Live and thought they were mad !

Music aside I wanted to say how nice the staff where.

You read many threads of " staff could not care ", but I left the CV field about 6.00 am this morning and despite my best efforts got stuck in the mud.

Straight away a guy who had seen my predicament came up to me and said he had reported the incident to HQ , but the Tractors would not be on site until 7.30 was I ok to wait ? but I would be first in the Q for recovery.

7.20 knock on the van door " The tractor is on its way to you can you be ready ?" a few minutes later and a muddy van was heading to the A1

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ivan said:

Well my first Deer Shed and I loved it.

Glad you had a good one. 

Saturday weather aside, ours was top notch. Again, not enough acts watched due to the sleeping habits and short attention span of our little one but still saw plenty.

The kids related activities are fantastic, and it's vibe is so chilled that it feels really safe for them. Our friends kids are older and they had no problem letting them go off and do things by themselves.

Music wise - Self Esteem, RBCF and Akala were my faves. Gruff was his usual beautifully shambolic self. Underwhelmed by Ezra Furman, surprisingly as I've seen him a couple of times before. Not sure how much he's changed up the band in prep for the new punk album he's about to drop, but the horn section was a big miss for me.

Definitely be back next year.

4 hours ago, ivan said:

Music aside I wanted to say how nice the staff where.

You read many threads of " staff could not care ", but I left the CV field about 6.00 am this morning and despite my best efforts got stuck in the mud.

Straight away a guy who had seen my predicament came up to me and said he had reported the incident to HQ , but the Tractors would not be on site until 7.30 was I ok to wait ? but I would be first in the Q for recovery.

7.20 knock on the van door " The tractor is on its way to you can you be ready ?" a few minutes later and a muddy van was heading to the A1

Yeah, they're pretty big on customer care at Deer Shed. Gutted to miss out on Rolling Blackouts but we had given up with the rain and a little one to put to bed.

We'llp be there next year!