Deer Shed 2019

DDave

21 hours ago, retromoz said:

Whats the general vibe of this? Am thinking of going this year....having a 3 year old child will help, i think. :)

It's extremely family friendly to the point where taking a child along is practically a pre-requisite. It's very chilled, civilized and middle class (lots of Guardian readers eating Quinoa.) so I don't know if that's your thing or not. They stagger the set times so you can always see all of the music from the main stage and then either the Lodge or In the Dock Stage. The comedy line-up is also getting stronger year on year. There is absolutely tons for the kids to do! My daughter's six and she's been since she was a baby and she loves it.

• Like 1

I read the Guardian!!!! And pay a fiver a month to do so (Free journalism is theft!!!!). But i do NOT like Quinoa....

Thanks for the info. Most helpful. Especially the info about staggered times (which I think should happen more often). I think we are gonna go. ESPECIALLY as now it seems they are no longer finishing early on the sunday......

And Mrs Retromoz LOVES Ezra. Cant see the appeal myself.....

4 hours ago, Sean1234321 said:

Is this like a northern End of the Road?

Last year's lineup looked very good and it looks great this time round too....it'd be like a five hour drive for me though and that seems too far to go.

I would imagine End of the Road / Green Man Festival would be it closet cousins (though I haven't been to either so I could be way off the mark!). Size wise I think it's more similar to End of the Road. There's less options music wise but it balances that out by giving you a lot of other stuff to balance that out (theatre, comedy, poetry, science, sports field, talks etc.) This year James Acaster and John Hegley were as much a highlight as any of the music. There's about ten different tents devoted to activities that the children can do and my daughter attended a load of workshops. There's also a 'Wilderwild' area with immersive theatre and stuff like pottery and weaving. To be fair, it's only forty minutes down the road for us so it's always been a bit of a no-brainer.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Just got myself a ticket.

A nice little trip into North York’s for myself and the camper.

Going as i really like the line up - Fontaine’s DC for a start , then Pip Blom and Rolling Blackout 

Not taking kids but then again can’t see them wanting to watch Fontaine’s DC .

May set a record for the number of bands seen at a festival !

45 minutes ago, ivan said:

Just got myself a ticket.

A nice little trip into North York’s for myself and the camper.

Going as i really like the line up - Fontaine’s DC for a start , then Pip Blom and Rolling Blackout 

Not taking kids but then again can’t see them wanting to watch Fontaine’s DC .

May set a record for the number of bands seen at a festival !

You should manage 30+ easy. No chance of that with a 7 year old in tow (she does like Pip Blom though.)

On 7/19/2019 at 9:56 PM, ivan said:

But now down one with Fontaine’s DC cancelling.

Oh f***k ! 

Indeed .. shame that.

My daughter saw them on Thursday night and said everything seemed fine with them, so the announcement is puzzling.

Oh well, I'll enjoy seeing Lucy Rose instead, but I don't reckon the mosh pit will be as good ?

Edited by Suggestives

Thought it was odd that the Fontaines festival gigs at Deer Shed and YNot weren't listed on their website when I checked, post glastonbury. Maybe a coincidence.

Gutted, but still looking forward to the weekend. Fingers crossed this good weather hangs around long enough. 

I'm considering going to Deer Shed this weekend, but was wondering how child centric it is. Looking at their website, it seems VERY geared towards kids... I'm planning to go alone and had previously stopped going to Green Man due to the amount of kids running around and making noise, especially around the main stage. They ruined a quiet Lambchop set one year with all their shrieking.?

Edited by parp

2 hours ago, parp said:

I'm considering going to Deer Shed this weekend, but was wondering how child centric it is. Looking at their website, it seems VERY geared towards kids... I'm planning to go alone and had previously stopped going to Green Man due to the amount of kids running around and making noise, especially around the main stage. They ruined a quiet Lambchop set one year with all their shrieking.?

It's EXTREMELY child focused so may not be for you. They talk about it having a 50:50 ratio. That said, with all the workshops and comedy on offer some of the stages can be comparatively child-free, particularly the Lodge Stage. However, it's now SOLD OUT. There is a single ticket going for £75 on Twickets though.

I am going on my own ain’t got kids but want to see the bands.

i went to Lunar last year which is very child friendly with friends who brought two little ones.

But yes there were lots of kids in the areas were kids hang out  and round main stage early doors , but not many kids about for The Stranglers etc on main stage and those that were in the tents at night seemed to be fast asleep round the sides .

And I doubt they will be hogging the real ale tents 

16 hours ago, The Night Tripper said:

It's EXTREMELY child focused so may not be for you. They talk about it having a 50:50 ratio. That said, with all the workshops and comedy on offer some of the stages can be comparatively child-free, particularly the Lodge Stage. However, it's now SOLD OUT. There is a single ticket going for £75 on Twickets though.

Hmmm, maybe I'll leave it then. 50:50 is a bit high for me. It's a shame; there were some good acts on the line up. I had seen it was sold out, but saw that a few people were selling tickets. 

16 hours ago, ivan said:

I am going on my own ain’t got kids but want to see the bands.

i went to Lunar last year which is very child friendly with friends who brought two little ones.

But yes there were lots of kids in the areas were kids hang out  and round main stage early doors , but not many kids about for The Stranglers etc on main stage and those that were in the tents at night seemed to be fast asleep round the sides .

And I doubt they will be hogging the real ale tents 

I've been to Lunar a few times, as it's just up the road from me. I don't tend to go there for the music, as the line up isn't as good as bigger festivals, but go to see friends, so the kids aren't so much of a distraction. 

1 hour ago, parp said:

I've been to Lunar a few times, as it's just up the road from me. I don't tend to go there for the music, as the line up isn't as good as bigger festivals, but go to see friends, so the kids aren't so much of a distraction. 

I enjoyed Lunar last year , first time we had been , not sure I would go back now that I have been and we were there from opening on Friday morning  right to the end of The Stranglers on Sunday so we did see it all and more.

People seemed surprised we had  come all the way from Yorkshire and I did get the impression it was a festival established  for the residents of the Birmingham area. 

But there was some great highlights that we had not had at other festivals - the secret club , where you could only get for or five people in with the House DJ in his 60's was certainly one.

My other half enjoyed the crafty things up the top end of the site , whereas I was happy with a beer watching the bands.

18 hours ago, ivan said:

I enjoyed Lunar last year , first time we had been , not sure I would go back now that I have been and we were there from opening on Friday morning  right to the end of The Stranglers on Sunday so we did see it all and more.

People seemed surprised we had  come all the way from Yorkshire and I did get the impression it was a festival established  for the residents of the Birmingham area. 

But there was some great highlights that we had not had at other festivals - the secret club , where you could only get for or five people in with the House DJ in his 60's was certainly one.

My other half enjoyed the crafty things up the top end of the site , whereas I was happy with a beer watching the bands.

I think if I had come as far as you did to go to Lunar, I wouldn't go back again either! It's a nice little festival, but in my opinion there's not enough going on there to keep non-local people going back. I don't think it's deliberately a local festival for local people. There's so many smaller scale festivals happening around the UK now. I can imagine most of them are mainly attended by locals. I met a couple of blokes from Hereford there once and was amazed that they had come all that way for for the festival, so I'm not surprised people were shocked at you coming from Yorkshire! 

On 7/22/2019 at 7:35 PM, parp said:

Much more child-centric than Green Man or End of the Road. I don't really mind kids at festivals but my one criticism of Deer Shed was that it was too child friendly. I kind of think kids should tag-a-long to what their parents are doing it's not necessary to reinvent things to put children front and centre. Deer Shed take a different view. 

28 minutes ago, Declan said:

Much more child-centric than Green Man or End of the Road. I don't really mind kids at festivals but my one criticism of Deer Shed was that it was too child friendly. I kind of think kids should tag-a-long to what their parents are doing it's not necessary to reinvent things to put children front and centre. Deer Shed take a different view. 

Thanks. You've definitely helped me make up my mind about going or not. I was just looking for tickets again. It doesn't sound like the right festival for a child-free grump like me. ? It's a shame - there's some good music on the line up. I hope the kids enjoy Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs...