Has anyone met Michael /Emily Eavis ?

Crazyfool01

Met Mick in 2007 in front of the tshirts place near the Pyramid. He made of point of ensuring my sister got in the photo "far better looking than both of us". What a guy.

Met Emily in the kids field a couple times. A gem.

Edited by Wooderson

Several times, think the first was in 1995 when we worked the festival build security and turned up about 2 weeks before it started.
We were to look after the WBC bars that were due to get built, but no-one was on site yet from WBC, so we went to the farmhouse to find out where we were to camp. Sat and had some tea and cake while Michael called around to find out for us.

Worked Glasto since 1992 so have bumped into/spoken to him several times back in the day, but only ever met Emily once about 12 years ago. 

• Upvote 1

Got paid by him from an old school metal petty cash box back in 93 or so. Got to be honest, just knew he was the boss who was doling our wages. No idea of his stature. Reckon I’d be too tongue tied and in awe to say owt to him these days.

Only ever asked him a question during his hour at Speaker's Corner. Emily and I once went to the same gig (John Grant + orchestra at Coulston Hall, Bristol) but that's it. There is no version of the future in which I don't hug Michael if I met him. I would hug Emily too, but with my eyes.

Said a quick hello to him in 2005, and had more of a brief chat in 2016 - we talked about Eastbourne, the South Downs and Beachy Head (I’m from there). He’s a very nice fella and really makes an effort with everyone. Patience of a saint! He loves a photo with a woman, too - a real twinkle in his eye when he’s chatting ?

Yes I have ran into Michael and Jean lots of times from the late 80's onwards  when they used to do their inspection of the Guest bar { sadly Jean died in 1999 } - they used to come in the back to get away from people wanting to photograph them - He is not a big drinker but Jean used to shift white wine - We would discuss various things and how the festival has changed from the late 70's - I moved from the Guest Bar to the Crew Bar many years ago so don't see him much now but he has called in at various WBC Parties held on the Tuesday before the event.I have never ran into Emily { who I believe was born in 1979 } - Its some achievement as many others would have kept all the money and really he should have been given a Knighthood years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Chatted to Michael for a couple of minutes in 2007, he was with Emily in a group but didn't speak to her. They were stood behind us waiting for Guilty Pleasures Live set thing opening West Holts on Friday morning. Weather was miserable, was hiding under my hood, turned around and Michael was stood right behind us. What a lovely man, asked us where we were camping and stuff like that, just general festival chit chat. Wish I'd got a pic now!

21 hours ago, Mardy said:

Got paid by him from an old school metal petty cash box back in 93 or so.

Exactly the same here. Was litterpicking for the first time in '93 and all pickers were parked up/camped in The Kidz Field.

We used to queue up after eating supper at Goose Hall and ME would be sitting behind an old wooden trestle table ticking our names off the list and paying us £20 each for the days work. ME thanked us for the work each and every time. Rob Kearle would be standing next to him as his minder.

Worked brilliantly for me, got work, got a park up and made a good bit on the side as I'd sell beer to from our truck to the pickers. Used to do overnight runs to Calais to restock in between shifts. Quick trip over and back on the hovercraft. Happy days :)

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, UEF said:

This surprises me

as far as I am aware he gives up bevy a few Months before Glasto - well that is what he used to claim - he has been to loads of WBC Crew parties ' where there has been a free Bar ' and no one on my Team has ever served him a drink although he is normally being showing round by the WBC Committee so one of them could have slipped him a Ale or Cider - when we used to see him at the Back stage Guest Bar he would be drinking Tea or Coffee.

Met Emily and her partner (now husband) at a tiny Paul McCartney gig at the ICA in London in 2009 (during some iTunes Festival thing that was going on).

Spotted her beforehand and went over to say hello. Almost before I said anything she asked if I'd just been to the festival that year (the gig was July 05 IIRC, just after my birthday). I said I had and that I'd taken my kids and she asked how old they were. When I told her she said "Oh my God, how did you cope with the weather?". I think I just shrugged and said it was fine, no problem...'cos it genuinely just seemed like 'another wet, muddy Glastonbury'.

Only then did I ask for her photo, which her other half took.

After the gig I was driving away from the venue from some miracle parking space I'd found and nearly ran her and her OH over as they were crossing the road!!! I waved and smiled and they waved and smiled back!!!

Wasn't until I was back on the M3 I thought I should've offered them a lift.

They say you shouldn't meet your heroes, but:

In short - absolutely lovely lady. And her OH seemed a nice bloke too.

(I fairly recently met Michael Palin at a book signing and he looked distinctly unimpressed when I gushed about how great he thought I was...but I absolutely reeked of booze from a large night out the night before. Although if you read his diaries he used to get sloshed quite a lot and there's a fair few entries about wine. Hey ho).

2 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Exactly the same here. Was litterpicking for the first time in '93 and all pickers were parked up/camped in The Kidz Field.

We used to queue up after eating supper at Goose Hall and ME would be sitting behind an old wooden trestle table ticking our names off the list and paying us £20 each for the days work. ME thanked us for the work each and every time. Rob Kearle would be standing next to him as his minder.

Worked brilliantly for me, got work, got a park up and made a good bit on the side as I'd sell beer to from our truck to the pickers. Used to do overnight runs to Calais to restock in between shifts. Quick trip over and back on the hovercraft. Happy days :)

In that case I undoubtedly bought beers from you in 93, was there for about 2 or 3 weeks after the festival, and remember buying beers from some guys in a bus/truck at the top of the field.

Rob Kearle? That the real taskmaster fella? We were on a tractor crew collecting all the bins etc so avoided the worst of the heads down, crawling across a field, getting it fag butt clean. Only did that for one afternoon when our tractor driver was off. There was a Rob bloke walking around with a swagger stick/riding crop tucked under his arm barking at people.

Edited by Mardy

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

In that case I undoubtedly bought beers from you in 93, was there for about 2 or 3 weeks after the festival, and remember buying beers from some guys in a bus/truck at the top of the field.

Rob Kearle? That the real taskmaster fella? We were on a tractor crew collecting all the bins etc so avoided the worst of the heads down, crawling across a field, getting it fag butt clean. Only did that for one afternoon when our tractor driver was off. There was a Rob bloke walking around with a swagger stick/riding crop tucked under his arm barking at people.

The real taskmaster fella.....yep, and he hasn't changed one bit.  :) Still ME's righthand man.

You did well to get on the tractors, a much more pleasant job.

It almost certainly was us that you were buying beer from and we were parked up at the top of the field. Here's a pic of the back of our truck although in '93 it was still red carrying the livery of Formby Removals who we bought it from. (We painted it with paint supplied by Formby Removals who weren't happy that it kept appearing in news reports. Not the kind of advertising that they were looking for !

our TK green.jpg

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer
  • Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

The real taskmaster fella.....yep, and he hasn't changed one bit.  :) Still ME's righthand man.

You did well to get on the tractors, a much more pleasant job.

It almost certainly was us that you were buying beer from and we were parked up at the top of the field. Here's a pic of the back of our truck although in '93 it was still ref carrying the livery of Formby Removals who we bought it from. (We painted it with paint supplied by Formby Removals who weren't happy that it kept appearing in news reports. Not the kind of advertising that they were looking for !

our TK green.jpg

Ah man, yeah, that’s it. Memories are flooding back now. I’ll definitely try and work up the courage to come and say hello next year. I normally get to your field and lose my bottle. Next time though, next time...

(you still flogging 4 cans of stella for a fiver? :) )

• Upvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:16 PM, Mardy said:

Got paid by him from an old school metal petty cash box back in 93 or so. Got to be honest, just knew he was the boss who was doling our wages. No idea of his stature. Reckon I’d be too tongue tied and in awe to say owt to him these days.

Mr Mardy, I've never seen you mention you have worked the festival before, super cool and back in the days when it seemed so free and great

I am hoping to bump into the great man himself this year , as I'll be onsite for 2 weeks pre festival .... I saw Emily in the Park a few years ago and actually found the courage to go over to her and thank her for the festival (she was by herself and just looking around the field) - I was flippin shaking but just didn't want to miss the opportunity - she also waved from her landrover thing when we went walkabout over the farm on easter sunday a few years ago

17 hours ago, eFestivals said:

First words Michael said to me (in 2000) were "so you're the guy who's been trying to rip me off" (I hadn't! Long story) in a rather fierce not-mincing-his-words tough-farmer manner.

Were you trying to flog him gold membership and a mug?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

Were you trying to flog him gold membership and a mug?

nope, tho I had said back to an offer to buy my website that i felt my prior work was worth more than 70p an hour. Unfortunately, because things had gone thru at least one middle-man (who might have changed things in his own interests ;) ), Michael had been told something very different to that.  If i'd really been chasing big money i'd have taken what worked out at about £200 per hour that was offered by someone else around the same time*. 
(*with hindsight I wish I had :P )

But anyway, now ancient history.

Had some lovely chats with both Michael and Emily over the years. My favourite words of Michaels (ten+ years ago) were "Fleetwood Mac? No one cares about them any more, do they?"

8 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Emily and family stood in front of us watching The War On Drugs on the Pyramid years ago. We didn't speak to her because it seemed like one of the few times she'd get to stop and enjoy some music; certainly didn't need us interrupting that! 

In a nutshell that's why I don't stop and chat to 'slebs I see at the fest. The ones I tend to notice have been low-key and are clearly just there doing their own thing and enjoying the weekend.  Me bumbling up and burbling at them would probably take them out of that happy bubble!

Exception was Don Letts. But I was battered. Drunk that is; he didn't take offence and batter me.

6 hours ago, Quark said:

In a nutshell that's why I don't stop and chat to 'slebs I see at the fest. The ones I tend to notice have been low-key and are clearly just there doing their own thing and enjoying the weekend.  Me bumbling up and burbling at them would probably take them out of that happy bubble!

Exception was Don Letts. But I was battered. Drunk that is; he didn't take offence and batter me.

Oh come on, Bez loves a chat and a picture.

Have seen Michael/Emily around loads of times, at the festival and in the area. Never actually spoken to them but I did see ME a few years ago marching across T&C as the sun was coming up with two young ladies, one on each arm, both looking up at him adoringly and laughing away at his obvious charm and humour, striding off in the general direction of the farm. I think I was shuffling back to camp having failed once again to get into SE corner, feeling like death warmed up and dreading every step whilst this wave of star struck energy swept past, utterly oblivious to my pathetic appearance. I'm sure it was all completely innocent, they were probably his god daughters or something, volunteering for a charity I expect, and he was just chaperoning them home safely. It did remind me of the outtakes at the end of Toy Story 2 though, Pete The Prospector and the two young starlets !! Lad.