Block 9 expanding

dccool

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

On the right night, with the right act, at the right moment, Glade is absolutely still my favourite stage but I do think the surrounding area is a bit too busy these days. I'm probably wrong but have there always been so many other stages near the main Glade? It did feel a little bit different last year, particularly with the seemingly always rammo Lovebullets tent nearby 

Lovebullets can fucking do one. It was just horrible in that area all weekend. Rammers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, H.M.V said:

I've never understood the Glade reverence. I've always found it a bit of a walk through and not an actual destination. So have never really gone to watch anyone there. 

That's the issue with the Glade. Unless you go there to watch something or somebody it is a bit of a walk through (the same could be said about most of the late night areas) with some of the worst sound bleed on site if you stand on the outside looking in. 

However, if you do go there to see someone you really wanna catch and immerse yourself there and get in position there really is nowhere quite like it at Glastonbury.

Maybe nostalgia from so many great moments but I love the place.

Just now, H.M.V said:

Lovebullets can fucking do one. It was just horrible in that area all weekend. Rammers. 

Yep, I agree. Better suited in Silver Hayes, if it's necessary at all.

Can't remember which day it was but at one point last year there was a huge police presence around that tent. I say huge, probably around 30 but it's definitely the highest number of police I've seen congregated in one place at the festival. Felt a bit weird, particularly around the Glade, which even though the music is deep-rooted in electronica has always felt a little more tribalistic and chilled and less like Silver Hayes or Shangri-La.

I guess they've expanded the Glade to try and ease the crowds at the likes of Block 9, etc?

19 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yep, I agree. Better suited in Silver Hayes, if it's necessary at all.

Can't remember which day it was but at one point last year there was a huge police presence around that tent. I say huge, probably around 30 but it's definitely the highest number of police I've seen congregated in one place at the festival. Felt a bit weird, particularly around the Glade, which even though the music is deep-rooted in electronica has always felt a little more tribalistic and chilled and less like Silver Hayes or Shangri-La.

I guess they've expanded the Glade to try and ease the crowds at the likes of Block 9, etc?

I'm sure i saw someone being chased down by police around there but can't be 100% cos ye know, we're hardly good witness material with a white Russian brekkie. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, H.M.V said:

The Elrow takeover was quite decent and the crowd was OK for that but the whole tent didn't seem to fit in the area.

I guess you'll see it over in Silver Hayes next year though, seems a more obvious place for it.

4 minutes ago, stu_kent said:

The Elrow takeover was quite decent and the crowd was OK for that but the whole tent didn't seem to fit in the area.

I guess you'll see it over in Silver Hayes next year though, seems a more obvious place for it.

Here's hoping. Totally agree that the vibe isn't Gladeish at all. Plus if it was in SH then we wouldn't have to clean it when we go walkabout after the Pyramid is done. Apologies to any SH crew on here but LB really winds me up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, H.M.V said:

I've never understood the Glade reverence. I've always found it a bit of a walk through and not an actual destination. So have never really gone to watch anyone there. 

The Glade is my Favorite area, by a mile.

great music , great atmosphere, loads of places to boogie, always good acts booked 

27 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

The Glade is my Favorite area, by a mile.

great music , great atmosphere, loads of places to boogie, always good acts booked 

I love The Glade too. The LB tent in the vicinity spoiled the area last time, too much sound bleed from the tent interfering with The Glade's sound. Plus it seemed really aggro in the LB tent when I went to check out what was going on, not really in fitting with the vibe of The Glade.

Re Glasto Latino, whenever i've been in that field the tents are always empty - how busy does it get during the night time? Seems to me that Block 9 taking over that field is a sensible idea if it's generally not very busy.

6 minutes ago, UEF said:

What's lovebullets?

In the context of this conversation, Lovebullets is large tent playing tech-house at Glastonbury just down from The Glade.

It is also a fashion accessory brand formed at Glastonbury which make jewellery / snuff boxes / pendants from bullet shells and weaponry.

https://lovebullets.co.uk/pages/lovebullets-history

2 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

Here's hoping. Totally agree that the vibe isn't Gladeish at all. Plus if it was in SH then we wouldn't have to clean it when we go walkabout after the Pyramid is done. Apologies to any SH crew on here but LB really winds me up.

Agreed- it was a nightmare to clean with the least helpful crew I've seen. It was like the _entire_ floor was bloody NOx canisters..

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LeeHC said:

Agreed- it was a nightmare to clean with the least helpful crew I've seen. It was like the _entire_ floor was bloody NOx canisters..

Some things don't change

Laughing Parties
The summer of 1799 saw a new fixation in British society – the inhalation of laughing gas. Nitrous oxide had been discovered by chemist Joseph Priestley in 1772 after introducing iron filings to nitric acid – the resulting gas gave Priestley a painless and giddy feeling – and was synthesised later that year by his pupil Humphry Davy. Davy was delighted by the euphoric effects of the gas, which he had tested on himself at the Pneumatic Institution in Bristol. It induced an elated state which motivated Davy to set about supervising the construction of a machine that could reliably produce large quantities of the gas with a property that he described as ‘the thrilling’.

1.capers.jpg
Nitrous Oxide Party. In the late 18th century and early 19th century, nitrous oxide
was inhaled for entertainment and amusement.
Davy soon issued invitations to people in his circle to sample the wondrous gas and experienced 'the thrilling' for themselves. They met at an upstairs drawing room at the Pneumatic Institution in a series of gatherings over the summer. The guests inhaled nitrous oxide from portable bags made of oiled green silk and happily stumbled about in wild merriment, before drifting into a dreamy sedated state. News of the nitrous oxide capers travelled and came to be repeated at ‘laughing parties’ held all over the country. Davy held nitrous sessions with poets Coleridge and Southey, the potter Josiah Wedgwood and the thesaurist Peter Roget. 

5.laughing_gas.png
Dr Syntax and his wife making an experiment in Pneumatics.

People could not get enough of a gas that allowed “uneasiness [to be]”, as Davy put it, “for a few minutes swallowed up in pleasure.”
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Lovebullets can fuck off full stop, but at least go to Silver H. If you attract arseholes you don't deserve a good spot in the glade area. 

You couldn't get something less like the general vibe and ethos of the glade area.

And, I've said it before and will do so again - the sound in Lovebullets was shite. So I find it an interesting observation that an area with (relatively) shocking sound seems to have garnered a reputation for having a crowd that were arseholes. If you don't care about the quality of the experience you're getting in a dance tent, I mean what are you there f.....

Oh.

Ben

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

Speaking as  SH Crew we dont want it either but would like to see it away from the Glade, deffo ruined the atmosphere last year.

• Upvote 1

Glade *is* a bit of a weird area, I'll concede, and you could say it almost doesn't feel like an area at all in its own right as it just seems like a stage your stumble on, on the way to the railway line from somewhere else. Also the ground of the stage area is a bit weird in the way it almost slopes down so you can't see very well. And when it's wet it's a nightmare

But I always like to get along to see Cassetteboy & DJ Rubbish, and certainly before all that Experimental Sound System stuff took up residence the sound there was just superb (still a Funktion One PA I think?). Really enjoyed Jah Wobble's Invaders of the Heart, and Coletro there in '17, gooooood times aplenty

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Emily mentioned Block 9 this morning as “in the SE Corner”, so presumably it is staying there. Also talked about an “incredible installation” that they’ve been working on, though she’s only seen it on the page so far. Clearly something new. Exciting stuff!

Well if what they have done previously is anything to go by it is going to be pretty epic. Cant wait for a 2019 map.... New area by the Park also. All new arcadia too. Exciting times! 

• 1 month later...

D00-JAyX4AIqpFd.thumb.jpg.1362574a2eb10db133b929bf4af8e025.jpg

Block9 are currently crowdsourcing for Video Content.

As we get closer to Glastonbury Festival 2019 and the launch of our new music venue and visual spectacular we are looking for students, recent graduates and content creators with good knowledge of video content production to create innovative 3D projection mapped content for this new venue.

We are looking for people to create both 3-dimensionally mapped and 2-dimensional content that can be manipulated into mapped content to be created within the period 18/03-15/04.

We feel that this would be a fantastic opportunity for up-and-coming content producers to work on a ground-breaking project which is sure to change the landscape of British festival stages.

Deadline to register interest: 15/03/19

Please complete this form: https://www.block9.com/opportunities

• Upvote 1