Block 9 expanding

dccool

If they move fields to a little further back (i.e. more South-East), it would help massively with the crowd issues. So many more people standing box ticking/passing through in Block9 than elsewhere in the SEC (nothing wrong with this!) because it's the first area you come into.

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Have you honestly never seen Phoneix Nights? Where abouts are you from?

It's obviously never stuck in my head.  When I looked it up on Google one of your Efests replies is no 4 in the results!!!  ?

Ping pong balls now...

• Upvote 1

I met a guy last year, most lovely bloke, he was the friend of a friend of a friend , he got us wrist bands for the staff bar there and gave us mustaches.  I asked him what he did in block 9 . he said "this is my field, I've been arranging this every year for ten years"

he had the best nails I have ever seen.  need to see him again next year 

7 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I’d like to see more venues and Genoysys roided up to fuck with the sound whacked up and loads more dancing space.

Would be cool to see a stage similar to UFO at Dekmantel, just something to keep the sound in so can be properly loud coz I think sound can be shite at Glastonbury.

Certainly for the last couple of years I think the sound at Genosys has been pretty bloody cracking. Really crisp and clear for me. Yes, it could be louder (couldn't it always...?), but I certainly haven't been there, distracted because it was too quiet...and I've felt like that at lots of venues in lots of festivals...

Ben

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Certainly for the last couple of years I think the sound at Genosys has been pretty bloody cracking. Really crisp and clear for me. Yes, it could be louder (couldn't it always...?), but I certainly haven't been there, distracted because it was too quiet...and I've felt like that at lots of venues in lots of festivals...

Ben

Bit of tech trivia, that's the same soundsystem as W Holts and JPT.

Ben

Maybe I’m not standing close enough coz it’s so crowded. I want to feel it in my chest know what I mean? 

Ben

Yes I agree, sound is great at Genosys now. I remember it being a lot quieter when it first started (2013?). 

13 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I’d like to see more venues and Genoysys roided up to fuck with the sound whacked up and loads more dancing space.

Would be cool to see a stage similar to UFO at Dekmantel, just something to keep the sound in so can be properly loud coz I think sound can be shite at Glastonbury.

I agree with the first half but shite sound at Glaso is rare enough if were talking dance stages and its improving every year

4 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Bit of tech trivia, that's the same soundsystem as W Holts and JPT.

Is it Martin Audio? They're often the best, but always excellent, and I've certainly seen them at the fest

Best sound for me is still The Glade, extraordinarily good

• Like 1

7 hours ago, billum said:

Is it Martin Audio? They're often the best, but always excellent, and I've certainly seen them at the fest

Yep, many more details here:

Genosys is out in the open air, and has suffered in the past from being reduced to a mere 88 dBA, which is not conducive to shaking it about.

“It’s the second year RG Jones have provided the solution here”. Explains Simon Honywill “Historically they’ve had huge problems with the leakage because the licensing regulations state that off-site no one single noise source can be heard above the overall festival hubbub, and they had real problems with this one. It was a ground stacked left and right system and they were running at 80 to 83, 85 if they were lucky. We came up with this solution - 10 a side Martin MLA Compact and 12 DSX subs, and two little arrays of MLA Mini as in-fills.  It’s been a really great result and they’re very happy with it.  You can do so much more with [MLA] it leaves everything else in the dark, it makes a conventional line array look and sound prehistoric because you can’t control the wavefront in anything like the same way and get the same degree of coverage – and get it to stop hitting where you don’t want it hit. But it does all that and sounds incredible, really incredible. It sounds amazing – that MLA system, I’d have that at home if I could! I absolutely love it. I knew exactly what MLA Compact could do and never doubted we would get a great result for the lovely people of the weird and wonderful world of Block 9"

https://rgjones.co.uk/docs/latest-news/EVpEZZukZpYwvEesIS.shtml

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yep, many more details here:

Genosys is out in the open air, and has suffered in the past from being reduced to a mere 88 dBA, which is not conducive to shaking it about.

“It’s the second year RG Jones have provided the solution here”. Explains Simon Honywill “Historically they’ve had huge problems with the leakage because the licensing regulations state that off-site no one single noise source can be heard above the overall festival hubbub, and they had real problems with this one. It was a ground stacked left and right system and they were running at 80 to 83, 85 if they were lucky. We came up with this solution - 10 a side Martin MLA Compact and 12 DSX subs, and two little arrays of MLA Mini as in-fills.  It’s been a really great result and they’re very happy with it.  You can do so much more with [MLA] it leaves everything else in the dark, it makes a conventional line array look and sound prehistoric because you can’t control the wavefront in anything like the same way and get the same degree of coverage – and get it to stop hitting where you don’t want it hit. But it does all that and sounds incredible, really incredible. It sounds amazing – that MLA system, I’d have that at home if I could! I absolutely love it. I knew exactly what MLA Compact could do and never doubted we would get a great result for the lovely people of the weird and wonderful world of Block 9"

https://rgjones.co.uk/docs/latest-news/EVpEZZukZpYwvEesIS.shtml

Brilliant read... thanks for sharing.  I noticed it was Martin Audio last year.  It's being used more at Boomtown too.

I don’t know fuck all about sound but I do get about a bit and I’ve often felt any of the outdoor stages I’ve seen DJ’s on needed to be louder except The Glade to be fair. 

I was just saying the solution for me personally would be trying to contain the sound with a roof/walls or whatever. I’d really like to see a new stage at Bloc 9 that’s outside but contained a bit if that makes sense?

14 hours ago, billum said:

The biggest problem with the sound at the Glade is the Function One Experimental Soundfield. 

I'm not sure but I think they only put this 'Soundfield' on sometimes. Frankly when they do it's a shambles. It sounds great if you are in the perfect place, if not it's unlistenable. 

Sasha and Digweed was an absolute car crash in certain parts (with the back speakers about half a second behind the rest). I tried to tell the soundmen to sort it out but they shrugged their shoulders. Luckily if you move forward you're fine but anywhere near those back speakers and forget it.

3 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

The biggest problem with the sound at the Glade is the Function One Experimental Soundfield. 

I'm not sure but I think they only put this 'Soundfield' on sometimes. Frankly when they do it's a shambles. It sounds great if you are in the perfect place, if not it's unlistenable. 

Sasha and Digweed was an absolute car crash in certain parts (with the back speakers about half a second behind the rest). I tried to tell the soundmen to sort it out but they shrugged their shoulders. Luckily if you move forward you're fine but anywhere near those back speakers and forget it.

I don't enjoy it at all in there any more.  It makes me feel sick and claustrophobic, it's just too loud and packed.

When I ventured into NYC Downlow, I honestly couldn't see what all the fuss was about. I had a better time enjoying the structures from the outside and enjoying the entertainment in the queue. Inside, it could have been anywhere. I'm obviously missing something.

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, kalifire said:

When I ventured into NYC Downlow, I honestly couldn't see what all the fuss was about. I had a better time enjoying the structures from the outside and enjoying the entertainment in the queue. Inside, it could have been anywhere. I'm obviously missing something.

Admittedly I've never got in but have heard it's a lot of hype. Best club in the world? Please. Not been though so will see... 

Edited by danbailey80

4 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Admittedly I've never got in but have heard it's a lot of hype. Best club in the world? Please. Not been though so will see... 

It felt like the kind of club that would feel edgy to anyone who hasn't enjoyed a night out on Canal Street, Manchester.

38 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's a sacred cow, but I just don't like The Glade.  The area is great, but I never enjoy being in the venue these days.

I've never understood the Glade reverence. I've always found it a bit of a walk through and not an actual destination. So have never really gone to watch anyone there. 

On the right night, with the right act, at the right moment, Glade is absolutely still my favourite stage but I do think the surrounding area is a bit too busy these days. I'm probably wrong but have there always been so many other stages near the main Glade? It did feel a little bit different last year, particularly with the seemingly always rammo Lovebullets tent nearby