Way Out West Festival

Hi, i have been to wayoutwest almost every year since it started in 2007 (i live close to gothenburg) Its ok i think, but its sweden so its quite expensive, both tickets and food/drink. The location is good in a nice part of the city, close to a lot bars and restaurants.

Things i dont like is that you can only have a drink in designated areas and are not allowed to bring your beer to the stage. It has also turn wery "political correct" serving no meet etc. (i dont care but some do...) 

One thing that is brilliant tho is "stayoutwest".. its club gigs in various venues, such as music clubs and churches and it starts after the festival closes in the evening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mackinley said:

Hi, i have been to wayoutwest almost every year since it started in 2007 (i live close to gothenburg) Its ok i think, but its sweden so its quite expensive, both tickets and food/drink. The location is good in a nice part of the city, close to a lot bars and restaurants.

Things i dont like is that you can only have a drink in designated areas and are not allowed to bring your beer to the stage. It has also turn wery "political correct" serving no meet etc. (i dont care but some do...) 

One thing that is brilliant tho is "stayoutwest".. its club gigs in various venues, such as music clubs and churches and it starts after the festival closes in the evening.

Well that's me never going to WOW then.

I've been to Way out west the last 4 years.

Lineup.

2018: Arctic Monkeys (sub Iggy Pop), Kendrick Lamar (sub Fever Ray), Arcade Fire (sub Thåström (Swedish punk legend))

2017: Frank Ocean (sub Migos), Major Lazer (sub The XX), Lana Del Rey (sub Regina Spektor)

2016: Morrissey (sub The Libertines), PJ Harvey (sub Anonhi), Sia (Massive Attack)

2015: Beck (sub Kygo), Pet Shop Boys (sub Florence and the Machine), First Aid Kit (Ellie Gouilding)

Its usually not the Glastonbury headliner-sized acts, except from this year when all three were. If you expect headliners like this year you should not go to WoW. The depth is usually very good and they have a very good track record on booking up-and-coming artists. If you like Primaveras lineup this would be a good alternative.

Stay out west is the concept after the festival site closes at 00:00, included in your ticket, with shows all night all over town. However 3-4 of these venues are rather small and to secure a place you have leave 30 min or more before the last act play on the festival site. There is one larger venue, Bananpiren, where you'll always come in. 

There is also other shows and gigs happening in the city that isn't in the official program.

The Site.

There are 4 stages at the site, but the 2 main stages are across from each other so there are not any clashes. The other 2 is a tent and a open air 270 degrees dj stage.

The park where the site is is nice and is typically festival decorated. No arts and randomness like Glastonbury tho.

No food contains meet (Morrissey was very happy with this :) ) but its okey, last 2 years a 1-star michelin restaurant have had a pop up restaurant. If you by all means need meet there are a lot of options just 200 meters outside the entrance.

Drinking.

You are allowed to drink beer at the two smaller stages, but not at the 2 main stages. They have bars with good view (from the side tho) where you can drink. Among our group I think we snuck out 20+ beers from those the bars into the arena, so if you want to drink everywhere its not a problem. A beer, 33 cl, is 6,5 gbp, so its expensive. 

But since it's in a park, and a small part of that park, usually a lot of people sit outside the gates drinking beer bought in the store. If its rainy you just stay in your apartment or hotel and pre party there.. There is also a lot of bars, clubs and hotels organizing pre parties (and after), at their own place or at rooftops, courtyards, parks, etc. _A lot_ is happening in Gothenburg during way out west.

The Crowd

It is very "hipster"ish, pretentious. Sort of like Coachella reputation, the "Instagram people and bloggers from Stockholm" etc. 

The crowd at the main stages are okey but festivals in uk and spain is much better. However at hip hop shows the crowd is as good as it gets.

But I do think its a fantastic festival, and I will go next year regardless of line up. 

• Upvote 2

Thanks @RaphPH @mackinley @DDave @Ovechkin really appreciate the feedback. Think I'm going to give it a go. Looking at past lineups, it's nice and diverse and if there's a day I don't like too much I'll just head into Gothenburg and explore the city. The fact that it's a meat-free festival is a nice surprise. I see that tickets are cheaper at the moment, too.

Any ideas when the lineup announcements happen?

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It has nothing to do whit ASAP Rocky (they have issued a statement, denying it) She has also cancelled the show in finland. She has cancelled a few shows earlyer due to complications with her breast implants. Havn't got a clue about replacement... 

Robyn won't do it. She doing a concert in Stockholm the week after WoW which as far as I know not sold out yet. They´re also marketing it as "Robyn's only show this summer in Sweden". 

These small one day festivals really fucks it up here:

Dalhalla got New Order, The National

Smash got ASAP Rocky, Migos

Gården got Tame Impala, The Streets

They claimed they're looking for a replacement, but who knows when it is less than 3 weeks left. They did book both Prince and Libertines just the month before the festival in previous year, but that were probably just long negotiations.

Edited by Ovechkin

• 2 weeks later...

I know it sucks they had Cardi B pull out just over a month away but Jorja Smith is a very tame replacement. That's also not factoring in that she played last year in the tent in the afternoon. They're kidding themselves if they think they can sell her as a headliner a year later and I say that as a fan of hers.