Paredes de Coura 2019

AlexTurnah

This is getting ridiculously good. Excellent headliners AND the most thrilling pack of middle names / undercard I've seen at Coura.

From the names TBA, i guess the majority will be portuguese acts (probably Capitão Fausto) . But I'm still crossing my fingers to have Beirut there!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HI guys

I'm thinking about doing the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage from Porto - all 280km of it - and detouring slightly at Rubiaes in order to attend Parredes de Coura.

I'm a 33 y.o guy who has travelled alone before and I don't think I have any qualms about the route.   My main concern is how I'm going to avail myself to a tent and sleeping bag.   I'll be walking with just a 30 litre backpack so I can't take them with me and organising luggage transfers will be a nightmare.    The luxury camping options are very pricey.  Having a Decathlon at Porto won't help me.  Does anyone know where I could buy kit nearer?  Or hire perhaps?  I may ask the glamping providers is they can accommodate a solo traveller.  Or maybe someone can help me out if they have a spare tent and then I just need a sleeping bag - that would be ideal ?

I would be very open to anyone else going to the festival joining me at Porto - or later at Braga? -  whatever really!   I live in London and I'm also going to NOS Alive for my 3rd time in July.   Would be great to meet for pint to chat it through.

Cheers 

Matt

Edited by Matt Sunshine
Incorrect details.

@Matt Sunshine

I've done this route back in 2009, wonderful stuff. We had very little info as the Portuguese way was pretty new so we brought a tent with us but after a few days we realized we don't need it (among other stuff) so we went to a post office at Ponte de Lima and sent it to the cathedral in Santiago de Compostella. So in worst case scenario you can do the same - send the tent to the albergue in Rubiaes (I'm sure today the address is online) or to a post office in/near the town. After the festival you can do the same and send it to the Cathedral. 

It may be worth to bring a sleeping bag with you to the Camino, even only if used as a blanket. Some albergues didn't have bed linen, some were maintained poorly though it may have changed so check about it. 

Edited by e2p2

@e2p2

Thanks.   I guess I can do that, and book 2 nights either side of the festival there - still it will cost me £100+ including hold luggage each way, but as you say I may need a sleeping bag anyway.

The english on the festival website isn't good - can we stay at the campsite the night before the music starts i.e. the 13th?    I notice you can with the glamping options, but website appears to say you can only arrive 8am on the 14th?

And sorry, off topic, but you did pre-book the albergues?   I'm imagining that the Central route will be pretty busy in August, even if not quite as busy as May...

24 minutes ago, Matt Sunshine said:

@e2p2

Thanks.   I guess I can do that, and book 2 nights either side of the festival there - still it will cost me £100+ including hold luggage each way, but as you say I may need a sleeping bag anyway.

The english on the festival website isn't good - can we stay at the campsite the night before the music starts i.e. the 13th?    I notice you can with the glamping options, but website appears to say you can only arrive 8am on the 14th?

And sorry, off topic, but you did pre-book the albergues?   I'm imagining that the Central route will be pretty busy in August, even if not quite as busy as May...

I know nothing about the festival except that the lineup is really great this year. Combining this festival and the Camino Portuguese is awesome. 

In my time you didn't need to (or could) pre book your stay.. It was pretty empty anyway, at least on the Portuguese side. Every day you're getting closer to the end, there are more and more people who join the roads. 

You can PM me if you have any questions regarding the Camino. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Would anyone know when or if they will release stage times?  Will they do it before the festival or will you just find out when you arrive?  Also, any idea what time music usually goes on until?  Is it through the night like other European festivals or does it finish a bit earlier?  Going for the first time this year and just trying to do a bit of planning!

18 hours ago, HappyWednesday said:

Would anyone know when or if they will release stage times?  Will they do it before the festival or will you just find out when you arrive?  Also, any idea what time music usually goes on until?  Is it through the night like other European festivals or does it finish a bit earlier?  Going for the first time this year and just trying to do a bit of planning!

so you can have an idea about the schedules, you can check the timatable from last years edition here: 

they usually share the svhedules some weeks before the festival

• Upvote 1

Hi everyone, I'm heading with a group of friends next week and we notice on the website it mentions that no food or beverages are permitted to be brought within the festival site. This seems odd to us, especially as it's a camping festival. Does anyone who has been previously know whether this rule extends to the campsites too? If so, it seems pretty rough to be left to the mercy of on-site booze vendors (presumably charging €4 or €5 a pint) for a four day festival! Any intel gratefully received - thanks very much!

1 hour ago, JackLL said:

Hi everyone, I'm heading with a group of friends next week and we notice on the website it mentions that no food or beverages are permitted to be brought within the festival site. This seems odd to us, especially as it's a camping festival. Does anyone who has been previously know whether this rule extends to the campsites too? If so, it seems pretty rough to be left to the mercy of on-site booze vendors (presumably charging €4 or €5 a pint) for a four day festival! Any intel gratefully received - thanks very much!

it is only applied to the festival site itself, not the campsite!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HappyWednesday said:

Schedules are out!

Does anyone know roughly how long the sets are?  Do they give them a good set length or shorter ones?  Longer hopefully.

it depends. the schedules are very nice because there is always a gap of around 40 minutes in between stages, so you can see all concerts if you want, and only lose some minutes in the beginning or ending. usually the earlier bands play 40 to 50 mins and later is longer, but of course it depends on the bands