The 'How I'm Currently Feeling About The Rumours' Thread

chatty

After the stellar lineups at Mad Cool and All Points East this year, coupled with the rumours so far for 2019 I'm fully prepared for a Glastonbury lineup that doesn't totally float my boat. In fairness, that happens often but I always have the best time. In hindsight, I don't actually think there's been the perfect Glastonbury lineup for me, at least not one that I've attended. 

If I want a lineup I'll choose a specific festival, if I want an experience I choose Glastonbury.

• Upvote 3

Stormzy was not anywhere near the top of my list but I understand the choice and its not too bad. My biggest concern is The Cure on saturday night.... with Macca slated for the Sunday thats 2 golden oldies as headliners? Surely not? If it was Stormzy, Arctic Monkeys and Macca I would be more than happy with that. 

If not then I really hope the Other stage offers something better. Regardless of the headliners if Vampire weekend and Foals play im happy. 

1 hour ago, Jay89 said:

I’ll take your word for it! 

Thanks for understanding! I thought I was gonna get roasted for it, hence the last paragraph. I’m talking purely from newbie perspective.

You’re absolutely right - I never thought I’d say it, but so far it’ll be legends slot that I see myself singing my heart out to ?

When you get there you'll forget all that and just have a party, the bands become almost secondary the atmosphere of the whole weekend. 

You'll get loads of bands all over the shop you want to see. We were round the pyramid for stuff like Katy Perry and Gibb who we aren't into at all but it's still a good laugh, just cause of how up for it everyone is. 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

If I want a lineup I'll choose a specific festival, if I want an experience I choose Glastonbury.

Fully agree with this (even if this is my first Glasto!)

I've done Boomtown for the last 6 or so years because the lineup massively appeals to me - but I know with Glasto I can do a lot more roaming/general partying without having constant scheduling clashes and running from stage to stage all day

Honestly, the only one of the rumours I'd see is Kylie. But it doesn't matter. There's just so much going on that the worst thing to do is set a timetable of acts you want to see. Just go with the flow, wander about and see what takes your fancy. I love the craft/healing fields, t & c, etc. I would have been excited about Manics but I'm seeing them the week before with Bon Jovi.

Just now, grilladelphia said:

Fully agree with this (even if this is my first Glasto!)

I've done Boomtown for the last 6 or so years because the lineup massively appeals to me - but I know with Glasto I can do a lot more roaming/general partying without having constant scheduling clashes and running from stage to stage all day

In 2009 I was on my way over to the Pyramid to watch Neil Young. En route I stumbled across a reggae band playing on a bandstand somewhere. So I stopped for a bit and got right into it. By the time I looked up and realised where I was, Shakey was playing out the last few bars of "Rockin in the Free World". As much as I love that guy, I regret nothing. Great night. That's my Glastonbury.

Looking forward to Kylie and The Cure though seen both before. Hoping The Kinks rumour comes to something, got a best of album playing in the car currently and would be awesome to see them live. Never been to a fatboy slim set and on my to do list this year. Each year I want to try to plan a bit less and see where I end up....each year clashfinder is up my highlighter thwarts my attempts.

Usually a surprise or 2 when the line-up drops, seems a long way away at the moment though.

the older I have gotten, and the more I have been to Glastonbury the less i care about who plays the bug stages.

when the line up is out I go straight to the glade or arcadia, block 9 is the next place i look. I will go and see some smaller bands play, if She Drew the gun , warm digits, mini masions play I will be there where ever they are. you don't normally get any rumours bout them.

one exception if the Doves reform and play , i don;t care where the play I will be there ... most likely on my own

6 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I actually think the pyramid is one of the best places for Glastonbury moments ... great for being able to see ( apart from flags ) and if you want a bit of room to move then its great standing a bit further back to take it all in .... I like it so much I carry it round on my head :) 

Exactly this!

Getting excited about the number of bands that I love who appear to be active this summer and I love seeing live.  Foals, Weezer, Vampire Weekend, Tallest Man On Earth all serious possibilities for GF IMO.  Its just gonna be great, its too big not to have a dozen acts you really like playing. Quite excited about seeing Stormzy, Macca and Kylie as I wouldn't ever be at one of their gigs but reckon I might enjoy a festival set.

Headliners that are rumoured don't do anything for me personally. Been to glasto many times and not seen anything on the pyramid (that I can remember anyway!) so not worried at all. 

On the current rumours list theres probably half a dozen that I'd like to see but again not bothered. Best times have always been bimbling around then you come across the best night of your life and haven't got a clue how or who or where or when. 

Loving the build up all part of the fun! 

Jay, your anticipation of festival moments will be based on what you have seen on TV (obviously). But the greatest moments are nearly always elsewhere, on stages and times not on mainstream TV. I think almost all of my greatest memories and experiences were on stages away from the Pyramid headliners. Portishead on the Other in 2013, Jagwar Ma at the Park when it was sheeting it down in 2014 (I think), Elbow at the Queens Head in 2008, Doves in the afternoon at the Pyramid in 2005, Holy Fuck at John Peel in 2007ish, Goldfrapp at West Holts whenever,. These are my finest memories of Glasto, far more than any experience at a Headliner at the Pyramid (not including the Rolling Stones though!) 

As long as you get to the Pyramid for the final choruses of Hey Jude, you will get your moment!

Not madly excited about anything I've heard so far, but im not too fussed about the lineup really, got my tix thats all I care about.

edit: read hugh jass's list, still nothing I'm mad about, id go see hot chip for sure. It's a good start, it's early days yet.

Edited by Madyaker

11 hours ago, Jay89 said:

Bleak so far!

It’s my first Glastonbury, every year I was watching BBC coverage from Pyramid and all I was thinking was ‘I’ll be there in the crowd at some point listening to the someone I absolutely love’. Doesn’t look like it’ll be happening. Every year either headliners or subs were more my cup of tea than not. My only hope are subs now!

And yes, I know there’s more to Glastonbury than just Pyramid, but it would be the ultimate newbie moment for me, so I’m patiently waiting for more!

I won't bore you with more 'the line up doesn't matter the experience is amazing' spiel as none of that matters before you go, you need those acts to get any real buzz, I will say that there's always a couple of acts on the mainstages that literally no one predicts that'll bring a massive grin to your face.

Still, its always easier to see line ups better through rose tinted glasses, especially when you weren't there and can't envisage being there yet.

lineup.thumb.jpg.3bb14be07319d40212b1adba6f023bd2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I will be at Stormzy if I like his new album and there aren’t any big clashes, I’m glad he’s on the Friday as opposed to any other night. Kylie is an almost definite, I think all my group know enough of her tracks to make an appearance. Jorja Smith, Lauryn Hill, Craig David, The Streets, Prodigy, Pete Tong’s Symphony Orchestra (and a decent House / DnB / Garage line up) are on my wishlist but I am also very aware that over-planning your stage itinerary at Glasto is a bit of a lost cause. 

No interest in Macca or Cure - just comes down to personal taste. I can still see a big pop / current band booking for the Saturday night - maybe a surprise act who hasn’t been rumoured or discussed too heavily. 

Edited by jamesh992

Rumours are fun at this stage, but never really upset me as when it comes to the final annoucement there is always more that I want to see than i could ever possibly see. 

Stormzy is a great announcement, i will probably not be there to see it as not really my cup of tea, but my biggest concern with the festival is that it becomes irrelevant to a younger audience and slowly declines, my other criticism of the festival is that the audience does not reflect the diversity of the wider population. Therefore whilst I am happy to represent the older white male element of the population I do believe the festival needs to appeal to a wider demographic.

• Upvote 1