The 'How I'm Currently Feeling About The Rumours' Thread

chatty

It's exciting times leading up to festival and we're still probably around five months away from a line up though a fair few will have been confirmed or be known by then. 

Still though, half the fun for me is the build up, checking new bands out, finding some absolutely mad music and acts, getting excited about bands that could play, not feeling others much at all. 

Thought it'd be cool to have a thread were we can discuss what bands are getting you most excited when rumoured and then how gutted you are when they don't show up on the poster after months of building your hopes up ? and vice versa of course.

From the few threads today I'm pumped up with the possibilities of Smashing Pumpkins and the Manics showing up. 

im a bit meh at the moment .... not too much is standing out headliner wise ....however Kylie will be great fun , and Rhythm of the 90s should be good providing they go in a tent thats big enough ...and there's always the staples of hobo Jones and Cassette boy ... As i get older my festival is going to evolve too ..... anyway im off to post a rumour on the non headliner thread 

Bleak so far!

It’s my first Glastonbury, every year I was watching BBC coverage from Pyramid and all I was thinking was ‘I’ll be there in the crowd at some point listening to the someone I absolutely love’. Doesn’t look like it’ll be happening. Every year either headliners or subs were more my cup of tea than not. My only hope are subs now!

And yes, I know there’s more to Glastonbury than just Pyramid, but it would be the ultimate newbie moment for me, so I’m patiently waiting for more!

7 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

My friend said something to me about Idles being banned from Glastonbury. Or at least, one of the members is

Banned? For doing what?

I did just google it as the first thing that comes up is something reasonably nonsensical from their facebook that I can't seem to locate when I go to the page

1 minute ago, Jay89 said:

Bleak so far!

It’s my first Glastonbury, every year I was watching BBC coverage from Pyramid and all I was thinking was ‘I’ll be there in the crowd at some point listening to the someone I absolutely love’. Doesn’t look like it’ll be happening. Every year either headliners or subs were more my cup of tea than not. My only hope are subs now!

And yes, I know there’s more to Glastonbury than just Pyramid, but it would be the ultimate newbie moment for me, so I’m patiently waiting for more!

Oh but this will happen. Always  does.

3 minutes ago, Jay89 said:

Seriously though, in my first year I wasn't that taken by the headliners. Apart from Metallica, but I knew no one would want to watch them with me and I was right. The friends who I was going with were actually worried that my music tastes were so different from theirs and the pyramid headliners that I wouldn't like it

They were very, very wrong :)

As @Tranquility of Solitude says, you will end up there singing your heart out at some point....probably to something unexpected. Mine was Dolly Parton! It was ace!

Edited by Sasperella
  • Upvote 1

There's surprisingly little in the big names rumours that's got me excited tbh. Seen Stormzy before, not hugely fussed by the Cure or Macca although I know I'd enjoy them both. Beach Boys I can take or leave, which I know probably counts as sacrilege.

Looking at Neil's lineup & rumours page though there are some of the smaller ones that have piqued my interest. Beyond the regulars (Mik, Lekkido, Rhythm of the 90s, Fatboy, NYBB, Hobo Jones) I'm very happy with the prospect of seeing Ferocious Dog again, and finally catching Gentleman's Dub Club.

Assuming they'd be headlining either West Holts or the Glade, Orbital is an act I'd definitely want to catch, never seen them and their new album is up there in my AOTY contenders. Really enjoyed BC Camplight's album too. Kylie is a spot on Sunday teatime act, but if she clashed with something I've already seen her this year so I could miss it without missing out.

Happy but not excited yet is probably my summary.

4 minutes ago, Jay89 said:

Bleak so far!

Understandable.  The big pointy bastard stage gets a bit of the hipster too cool for school vibe on here, but when an act nails it it's an absolute moment.

What I would say is that it's not just headliners and subs where that can happen.  Hacienda Classical had the Friday opening slot and it was absolutely beautiful, massive crowd singing You Got The Love.  May J Blige in 2015 was mid afternoon, and No More Dramas was one of the best things I've ever seen. Depending on the act the Legend slot can be one of the highlights of the weekend.

Don't worry, you'll love it regardless :)

• Upvote 1

As of today, 30 acts listed on the rumours page and a quick scroll of last year's lineup tells me there were 86 stages/performance areas.. So not even a drop in the ocean. Expecting that there'll be some relatively big acts on the final lineup who don't get much rumours about first.

Love that Billy Bragg is listed as Strong Rumour, he's probably been to more than Emily Eavis.

14 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Oh but this will happen. Always  does.

I’ll take your word for it! 

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

Understandable.  The big pointy bastard stage gets a bit of the hipster too cool for school vibe on here, but when an act nails it it's an absolute moment.

What I would say is that it's not just headliners and subs where that can happen.  Hacienda Classical had the Friday opening slot and it was absolutely beautiful, massive crowd singing You Got The Love.  May J Blige in 2015 was mid afternoon, and No More Dramas was one of the best things I've ever seen. Depending on the act the Legend slot can be one of the highlights of the weekend.

Thanks for understanding! I thought I was gonna get roasted for it, hence the last paragraph. I’m talking purely from newbie perspective.

You’re absolutely right - I never thought I’d say it, but so far it’ll be legends slot that I see myself singing my heart out to ?

I work off what's in the stage predictions thread, obviously not to be taken as gospel but it is a fairly accurate barometer of who is likely to be about next summer, if we get even half of the below (all named in that thread) I'll have a very good weekend:

Macca, Cure, Gambino, IDLES, Parquet Courts, Shame, YYY's, Dua Lipa, Vampire Weekend, The Streets, Kraftwerk, Liam G, NGHFB, Interpol, Lauren Hill, Confidence Man, Solange, Hot Chip, LDR, Kylie, Sheryl Crow, TWOD, Iggy Pop, Weezer, Manics, Bon Ivor, Vaccines, Let's Eat Grandma, Chemical Bros...

As I say, we might not even get half of that, but we'll get some - plus stuff we haven't even considered. At this stage I'm more than happy with the state of the rumour mill.

Edited by Hugh Jass

7 minutes ago, Jay89 said:

Thanks for understanding! I thought I was gonna get roasted for it, hence the last paragraph. I’m talking purely from newbie perspective.

You’re absolutely right - I never thought I’d say it, but so far it’ll be legends slot that I see myself singing my heart out to ?

Nah, that gets really saved for people who say they're cancelling their tickets on the strength of one headliner and call the Eavii rude names :)

54 minutes ago, Jay89 said:

Bleak so far!

I actually think the pyramid is one of the best places for Glastonbury moments ... great for being able to see ( apart from flags ) and if you want a bit of room to move then its great standing a bit further back to take it all in .... I like it so much I carry it round on my head :) 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I actually think the pyramid is one of the best places for Glastonbury moments ... great for being able to see ( apart from flags ) and if you want a bit of room to move then its great standing a bit further back to take it all in .... I like it so much I carry it round on my head :) 

When everything goes right there is no finer place in the world to watch an act than the Pyramid.

1 hour ago, Jay89 said:

Bleak so far!

It’s my first Glastonbury, every year I was watching BBC coverage from Pyramid and all I was thinking was ‘I’ll be there in the crowd at some point listening to the someone I absolutely love’. Doesn’t look like it’ll be happening. 

Only one act has been confirmed yet. Two of the three probable Pyramid headliners don’t do much for me, but I’ve no doubt I’ll have a great time

58 minutes ago, Quark said:

You are so right about Mary J Blige.  I was dragged to see Mary by the rest of my group, I am not a fan of either her or her genre (the U2 collaboration aside) and she blew me away. One of the most emotional performances I have seen anywhere let alone on the pyramid, outstanding. I know this post is bit off topic but you have just reminded me of one of my fave pyramid moments.

RE: the "official" rumours, as in what Neil has listed so far, I'm at about a 6/10 in terms of excitement. Macca, LDR, Gambino, Hot Chip, Orbital and kinda The Cure are ones I'm excited about seeing. 

There are a lot of acts that are around in the summer that would really top it off for me, but I don't feel especially confident on any of them (Bon Iver, for example). As far as Glastonbury lineups go, it's currently "average",, but it could easily jump up to excellent. An average Glastonbury lineup is still pretty good IMO, mind you.

6 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

You are so right about Mary J Blige.  I was dragged to see Mary by the rest of my group, I am not a fan of either her or her genre (the U2 collaboration aside) and she blew me away. One of the most emotional performances I have seen anywhere let alone on the pyramid, outstanding. I know this post is bit off topic but you have just reminded me of one of my fave pyramid moments.

Only caught it by chance myself, was wandering back from Dub Pistols at the Glade and came past just as she was starting that track.  Stood there for a bit, eventually picked my jaw up from the floor, had a quiet word with myself and pottered onwards :)

• Upvote 1