This is Tomorrow 2019

AAlex

1 hour ago, RUMINE said:

I would kill for Tame Impala! Although, I honestly think the 1975 are in with a shot of playing, the lead singer has a huge attachment to Newcastle (even got a tattoo, plus strong family ties and supports NUFC) and yet they aren't playing here on their upcoming tour... slightly odd since they play here every time they've toured iirc 

Also I went last year, so any questions can be directed my way. I personally had no problems with security; the layout was quite strange despite it being a big carpark. The pissing rain over the first acts like Sam Fender and Little Comets meant a) we stayed in the pub instead of seeing them and b) huge puddles in the dips and pot holes in the standing area. No one's fault but obviously fields and grass (like exhibition park) are a lot better when it comes to shitty weather.

With it moving to a far superior venue and having an extra day I am super excited we finally have a decent festival that's able to pull big acts. Thirty Seconds To Mars last year was a massive shock to everyone here but sadly the fanbase in the toon wasn't there, myself included, but I could appreciate the money that would have been spent and it showed the aspirations of the festival and what they wanted to do in the first year alone. To be honest, I'd be surprised if we don't see a camping version of the festival crop up somewhere in Newcastle in the coming years as Exhibition Park itself is bloody huge and could possibly fit a decent amount of tents somewhere - but if not that there are plenty of other locations relatively close to the centre that would be capable of accommodating this. It fills a nice gap up North for those (like me) who are throughly unimpressed by what Leeds Festival has to offer and if we could camp I reckon it could be contender to midsize/big festivals in the North (which to be fair there is a lack of)

Hmm hadn't noticed that, don't really keep up with 1975 and would be disappointing for me, but could probably still make a day out of it with a decent undercard and several trips to the bar before they came on. Yeah I'm happy another alternative has popped up, always like going away May bank holiday went Sound City 16/17 but the line ups have suffered massively since they moved from the docks, Neighbourhood this year but next years just isn't tempting me at all. Never really been to Newcastle either, so even if it's just the Morning will be nice to walk around somewhere new.

57 minutes ago, RUMINE said:

Also talking about multiple stages - I honestly don't think Spiller's Wharf could have had a second stage, Exhibition Park could do though realistically, so long as bands didn't overlap as I think sound clashing could easily be an issue.

With the more acts issue - this poster has the "More TBA" text across the two days. This could be a good sign to a bigger undercard for each day being added, however it could also just be referencing the unannounced third day that is on the ticket website. Depends if they are still wanting to treat them as three separate outdoor gigs like last years two shows were marketed as OR if they want it to seem more like a festival like this years marketing sort of looks like. A second stage (possibly with just local acts like The Pale White and the possibility of Sam Fender returning for example) would deffo help cement it as a festival.

Yeah I'm really hoping there's another stage at least, some of those surely aren't main stage acts (no disrespect, but you'd be going into mid Afternoon on 'introducing' acts if so) and another 1-2 familiar acts each day could make them solid days out for me. Tom Grennan, Maximo Park, The Blinders, Slaves, Charlatans, Gerry Cinnamon, Amazons, Jade Bird, Mystery Jets, Sam Fender are all at Neighbourhood (like Vaccines, YMAS and Nothing but Thieves) so wouldn't mind some of them popping up, never seen Maximo Park and can imagine Newcastle would be the perfect place to, still love Our Earthly Pleasures.

I did have a look at their Twitter the other day and these were the two tweets for announcing Noel and Foals, it certainly implies to me there's more to come each day, but if there isn't it's got to be deliberate. Hopefully we get that third headliner and a bit of info soon, literally nothing on the website still except a ticket link.

Our first headliner for 2019... @NoelGallagher High Flying Birds with special guests @thevaccines, @editorsofficial, @glasvegas, @RedFacesMusic, @whenyoung & @fevaband + more TBA

This is @foals at This Is Tomorrow. This is unmissable. This Is Tomorrow. W/ special guests @youmeatsix, @NBThieves, @thepalewhite, @realbadsounds, @AnterosOfficial, @KawalaOfficial, @wildfrontmusic & more!

Edited by AAlex

33 minutes ago, AAlex said:

Tom Grennan, Maximo Park, The Blinders, Slaves, Charlatans, Gerry Cinnamon, Amazons, Jade Bird, Mystery Jets, Sam Fender are all at Neighbourhood (like Vaccines, YMAS and Nothing but Thieves) so wouldn't mind some of them popping up, never seen Maximo Park and can imagine Newcastle would be the perfect place to, still love Our Earthly Pleasures

I'd love for any of them to show up bar Gerry Cinnamon who is just the worst IMO. Slaves, Tom Grennan, Jade Bird my personal faves these.

Also worth bearing in mind last years days only had 5 acts for Thirty Seconds and 4 for Catfish, so the 7/8 acts on the already announced days is already an upgrade from last year. Could mean second stage or could mean everything's been announced for those two days so far. Just got to wait and see

On 12/12/2018 at 11:54 AM, Jon F said:

I wonder whether Wylam Brewery could be used as a second stage?  Would avoid the noise bleed problems to some extent.   Also means a chance of getting decent beer... 

This is 100% a shout, they already hold gigs as an independent venue for those who don't know

13 minutes ago, RUMINE said:

Funny wording but basically more acts to be added to both days still and an unannounced third day - great!

Good news! at least you got a response, they ignored my message :lol:  It looks like Friday will be 16:00 and Saturday/Sunday 13:00, which I guess makes sense given Friday isn't a bank holiday... so probably more to come for Saturday than Friday.

They've definitely given themselves some 'wriggle room' by saying 'as plans stand' and I'd agree it seems an odd way of phrasing it, because if they had at least two stages it would be a given that more acts are coming not 'at the minute thats the plan'.

If Friday does start at 16:00 (it says 16:00 on Foals/2 Day and 18:00 on 3 Day Tickets) that may be confirmation in itself of there being at least two stages, because surely the 8 acts announced so far can't fit on one stage between then and curfew.

4 hours ago, AAlex said:

If Friday does start at 16:00 (it says 16:00 on Foals/2 Day and 18:00 on 3 Day Tickets) that may be confirmation in itself of there being at least two stages, because surely the 8 acts announced so far can't fit on one stage between then and curfew.

This is a good point, I believe doors last year were around 5pm so adding an extra hour on Foals day and even taking an hour off on day 3 must mean it's expanding to multiple stages otherwise bands would have like 20 min sets, especially when they've already doubled the amount of acts playing per day with 'plans' to add more

• 4 weeks later...

thought i’d spend my night trying to work out who could possibly be playing the sunday at this festival as at the moment we don’t have any clue:

The Prodigy: with this festival only having one other year to base the acts that they’re wanting off of i’m not sure if prodigy exactly fit into the genre of this festival but if they are a group the festival would aim for then i’m sure they’d be able to obtain them BUT they’re in the US a few days before the festival so seem unlikely

Courteeners: only have their Heaton Park gig announced so far and can’t see them playing this as if they were to they would most likely have Noel G close the festival instead rather than him playing the Saturday

Two Door Cinema Club: they’re touring around spain at the beginning of May so it would only be a short trip over to england for this, they have a large gap in their schedule between 11th May and 29th June which could be filled with some UK shows, this being one of them.. don’t know if they’re big enough to headline though

Biffy Clyro: only have two announced concert’s in 2019, one in Ireland and another in Germany.. knowing that they’re active they must have an unannounced UK tour coming up meaning they could be around to play

Stereophonics: playing a few shows in the UK around the start of July and are usually playing mid sized festivals, can see them easily playing this festival and shifting plenty of tickets

Mumford: playing arenas around the UK at the very start of June so could fit this festival in before they start that run of shows, seem unlikely they’d be booked as the festival has too much completion on ticket sales from their arena shows

Florence: she’s on tour at the moment and is playing BST in July so should be active up until that point, currently has no dates around May so she has time in her schedule to play this

Kasabian: huge festival band that would go down a treat, no announced shows but they always seem to be about, could easily appear

Catfish: new album rumoured but with them playing last year they’re almost certainly not going to be back so soon

The Strokes: currently have no UK date’s so a bit of a long shot but with them being back and this being a rock festival then it’s a possibility, can see them most likely winding up at TRNSMT or IOW though

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, OFWGKTA said:

thought i’d spend my night trying to work out who could possibly be playing the sunday at this festival as at the moment we don’t have any clue:

The Prodigy: with this festival only having one other year to base the acts that they’re wanting off of i’m not sure if prodigy exactly fit into the genre of this festival but if they are a group the festival would aim for then i’m sure they’d be able to obtain them BUT they’re in the US a few days before the festival so seem unlikely

Courteeners: only have their Heaton Park gig announced so far and can’t see them playing this as if they were to they would most likely have Noel G close the festival instead rather than him playing the Saturday

Two Door Cinema Club: they’re touring around spain at the beginning of May so it would only be a short trip over to england for this, they have a large gap in their schedule between 11th May and 29th June which could be filled with some UK shows, this being one of them.. don’t know if they’re big enough to headline though

Biffy Clyro: only have two announced concert’s in 2019, one in Ireland and another in Germany.. knowing that they’re active they must have an unannounced UK tour coming up meaning they could be around to play

Stereophonics: playing a few shows in the UK around the start of July and are usually playing mid sized festivals, can see them easily playing this festival and shifting plenty of tickets

Mumford: playing arenas around the UK at the very start of June so could fit this festival in before they start that run of shows, seem unlikely they’d be booked as the festival has too much completion on ticket sales from their arena shows

Florence: she’s on tour at the moment and is playing BST in July so should be active up until that point, currently has no dates around May so she has time in her schedule to play this

Kasabian: huge festival band that would go down a treat, no announced shows but they always seem to be about, could easily appear

Catfish: new album rumoured but with them playing last year they’re almost certainly not going to be back so soon

The Strokes: currently have no UK date’s so a bit of a long shot but with them being back and this being a rock festival then it’s a possibility, can see them most likely winding up at TRNSMT or IOW though

I reckon Mumfords are too big 

1 hour ago, OFWGKTA said:

It is an interesting one, face value Foals+Noel is £95 (£40+£45), and the 2 day ticket is £79. The three day ticket is £119, which would imply to me the Sunday is going to be at least as expensive as Noels day if not more, because otherwise it's no cheaper than getting a two day ticket and a Sunday single if it's £40.

Taking that into account, and the fact they're closing the festival over Noel, and who played last year I'd rule out Catfish and Two Door personally, I'm not sure The Prodigy are a 'Sunday night headliner/closer' either? Not that I'd compain if they were announced. I can't see The Strokes doing this, I'd say Tame Impala are more likely but even they seem a long shot. Maybe if they're booked for All Points East they'd do both because they'd be over here the week before/of this anyway.

I hope it's not Phonics, not that I've anything against them but you see them as 4-5 festivals a Summer so it's not particularly exciting, I'm sure Courteeners would go down a treat, and probably get people down from Scotland too which would be the same for Biffy.

I would agree with Dental a month or so ago that the announcement will be a big name, they've done well to get who they have so far and considering they're holding this band back until last, and they're closing the festival, I have (perhaps naively) high expectations. I think out the others Kasabian seem more likely than Florence/Mumford, fans of Foals/Noel are more likely to be interested in buying a three day ticket to see Kasabian than those two as well you'd have thought.

Basically, I have no idea :lol: but I hope they announce it this month because my girlfriend did get us three day tickets for Christmas.

1 hour ago, AAlex said:

Basically, I have no idea :lol: but I hope they announce it this month because my girlfriend did get us three day tickets for Christmas.

i’ve got no clue either, there’s so many bands out and about touring and so many possibilities but i’m hoping for Biffy! i’ve already got my three day ticket too as im sure the third day won’t dissapoint and i love the two headliners announced already and the undercard is fantastic

28 minutes ago, OFWGKTA said:

i’ve got no clue either, there’s so many bands out and about touring and so many possibilities but i’m hoping for Biffy! i’ve already got my three day ticket too as im sure the third day won’t dissapoint and i love the two headliners announced already and the undercard is fantastic 

There's obviously some I'd like more than others but I don't think there's anyone who can realistically do it who I'd be massively disappointed about, which is a nice position to be in. Hopefully there's a couple more recognisable names to come for Friday/Saturday too, but based on what's there so far whoever plays Sunday should have a decent undercard.

36 minutes ago, RUMINE said:

Confirmed to have two stages this year in the comments on their instagram160406958_Screenshot2019-01-11at17_58_48.thumb.png.a76d0d66f4b6c33be791659fd6f910de.png

Nice one! Suspected that would be the case anyway considering when Friday starts and how many are announced already, but it’s nice to have confirmation.

Bodes well for the other days too, maybe there’s only 3-4 main stage acts announced so far each day? 

Edited by AAlex

Just now, OFWGKTA said:

same day as the phonics announce some shows, seems like we’re going to be getting them

That's what I'm thinking, noticed Kaiser Chiefs announced a date in Netherlands the week after earlier as well, but Phonics seem a more likely option. Not the most exciting for me personally, but seemed an obvious choice for the start and I'll at least watch them, which I don't think could be said if it were Kaiser Chiefs :lol:.

2 minutes ago, AAlex said:

That's what I'm thinking, noticed Kaiser Chiefs announced a date in Netherlands the week after earlier as well, but Phonics seem a more likely option. Not the most exciting for me personally, but seemed an obvious choice for the start and I'll at least watch them, which I don't think could be said if it were Kaiser Chiefs :lol:.

i can see Kaiser Chiefs playing under Stereophonics, think they’ve dropped off in popularity and can’t see them headlining alongside Noel G and Foals, wouldn’t mind KC being in the slot YM@6 are

10 minutes ago, OFWGKTA said:

i can see Kaiser Chiefs playing under Stereophonics, think they’ve dropped off in popularity and can’t see them headlining alongside Noel G and Foals, wouldn’t mind KC being in the slot YM@6 are

With it being confirmed there's two stages at least we know they'll be options. I did notice Newcastle at the O2 is one of the only dates they haven't sold out yet for this current tour, so yeah maybe they could be the sub. Would welcome a surprise such as Kasabian, LG, Biffy, but I can't see it not being Phonics now.

Hopefully we get some more names for Friday/Saturday later as well, but it might just be 7-8 names for Sunday now, and the rest of the undercard for all 3 days later.