2019 Possibilities (Non Pyramid Headliner)

Doug85

The opening spot on the Other hasn't been a big deal recently, 2017 was The Pretenders who i missed. 2016- I seen the start of James  but they were delayed cos of the mud/weather so I left and went to Avalon to catch Hobo Jones.

I wasn't at 2015 but I'm pretty sure it was The Charlatans and 2014 i'm not sure about but I think I remember reading/hearing that it was The Kaiser Chiefs? Which is utterly horrific and tragic if so. I am struggling to think when that spot was genuinely a big surprise or massive name. 

58 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

The opening spot on the Other hasn't been a big deal recently, 2017 was The Pretenders who i missed. 2016- I seen the start of James  but they were delayed cos of the mud/weather so I left and went to Avalon to catch Hobo Jones.

I wasn't at 2015 but I'm pretty sure it was The Charlatans and 2014 i'm not sure about but I think I remember reading/hearing that it was The Kaiser Chiefs? Which is utterly horrific and tragic if so. I am struggling to think when that spot was genuinely a big surprise or massive name. 

The other Gallagher in 2013 (with Beady Eye).

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Actually yeah scrap what I said - this would be the best outcome. He still seems a fair bit bigger than the other stuff they’ve had in that spot, but maybe it’s just something he’s willing to do. 

Whats stopping it being the two Gallaghers + Gambino though? We don’t have any real inkling of a third sub do we?

No reason to think Gambino would be there and accept it. Noel can't play Sunday and they won't be putting him up against Stormzy, that's the last thing they would do.

3 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Nothing to stop it as far as I know, just seems a bit of a strange booking. Liam, Noel, The Cure and Macca is a helluva lot of guitars and boabies for the top of the bill. Lana Del Rey has been touted hasn't she?

I don't think Lana subs myself.

When Lana Del Rey announced that she was cancelling some of her upcoming dates I didn't think much of it because I assumed she had more upcoming dates than she actually does. However, this is all she currently has lined up (plus Super Bock Super Rock on the same weekend as Beni), and Super Bock Super Rock have confirmed she's still playing, so it seems likely that it's (at least some of) the shows around Glasto that have been pulled. I'm pretty sure she said shows so it can't just be that US date.

Having said all that, I can't seem to find the Instagram post where she announced the cancellations, so maybe she removed it because they're back on? Idk.

Screenshot_20190110-145411_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d70556b9ae6d06b37264eaec369b0dd9.jpg

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

No reason to think Gambino would be there and accept it. Noel can't play Sunday and they won't be putting him up against Stormzy, that's the last thing they would do.

Apart from the info confirming Stormzy as the Friday headliner which started the entire Stormzy thread saying Childish Gambino may be subbing him. We have more info pointing at Childish Gambino subbing than anyone else apart from Liam Gallagher.

3 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Rather than a 'special guest' set opening Other, is there any reason such a slot couldn't happen on the Pyramid? Would settle any concerns over overcrowding and still massage Noel's who as it's a 'special guest slot and would undoubtedly pull a huge crowd.

plus wasn't there a recent tabloid article where he hinted at saying "i'd love to, but would probably be billed 4th" which seems to imply he's getting a special guest billing to soothe ego? surely before Macca on the Sat 

30 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Apart from the info confirming Stormzy as the Friday headliner which started the entire Stormzy thread saying Childish Gambino may be subbing him. We have more info pointing at Childish Gambino subbing than anyone else apart from Liam Gallagher.

If Gambino plays I don't think he will sub Stormzy, I can't see them having two rappers back to back on the Pyramid, especially when neither are exactly household names (awaits reopening of the "who's mum has heard of... debate). My money would be on him playing before The Cure or Macca if NG isn't there.

28 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

If Gambino plays I don't think he will sub Stormzy, I can't see them having two rappers back to back on the Pyramid, especially when neither are exactly household names (awaits reopening of the "who's mum has heard of... debate). My money would be on him playing before The Cure or Macca if NG isn't there.

Neither do I. I think (as several other people suggested when the info came out) that the source of the info knew both Childish Gambino and Liam Gallagher were subbing so said it's likely that one of them is subbing Stormzy. I think Childish Gambino will sub Macca and Lana Del Rey sub The Cure (if she hasn't pulled out, in which case I'd draft in Christine and the Queens instead).

8 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Neither do I. I think (as several other people suggested when the info came out) that the source of the info knew both Childish Gambino and Liam Gallagher were subbing so said it's likely that one of them is subbing Stormzy. I think Childish Gambino will sub Macca and Lana Del Rey sub The Cure (if she hasn't pulled out, in which case I'd draft in Christine and the Queens instead).

I love LDR, but Christine as sub is far more exciting, isn't it?

1 hour ago, tevaburger said:

plus wasn't there a recent tabloid article where he hinted at saying "i'd love to, but would probably be billed 4th" which seems to imply he's getting a special guest billing to soothe ego? surely before Macca on the Sat 

glasto don't do 'special guests' billing.

Gallaghers will get slots they're happy to play.

Just now, sisco said:

What was it billed as on the programme etc..  Secret Set?  Genuinely can’t remember 

no idea, but it's not impossible that the words 'special guests' were used as filler.

It was a slot that was unbooked until a short time before the festival, so if the words 'special guests' were used they would have applied to any band who got booked into that slot.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

no idea, but it's not impossible that the words 'special guests' were used as filler.

It was a slot that was unbooked until a short time before the festival, so if the words 'special guests' were used they would have applied to any band who got booked into that slot.

Are you talking about a "special guests" slot where the name of the act is actually revealed?  

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

So 1 of the Gallaghers could feasibly have it exactly the same.   It’s noy likely of course but could and has happened before

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Are you talking about a "special guests" slot where the name of the act is actually revealed?  

that was what I was thinking with my original 'glastonbury don't do...' comment, yeah.

Regarding the libs, a quick google says nothing about "special guests" but does talk about "an unexpected performance", "the vacant slot on Glastonbury's Pyramid Stage", "making an appearance", "are to play the most exciting secret set", "Surprise Glastonbury Appearance", etc, etc, etc - I'm sure 'special guests' would be more prominent if that had been the words used.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lobertines+glastonbury&oq=lobertines+glastonbury&aqs=chrome..69i57.4855j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

(PS: just discovered that Foals had turned it down before The Libs got asked).

Edited by eFestivals

4 minutes ago, sisco said:

So 1 of the Gallaghers could feasibly have it exactly the same.   It’s noy likely of course but could and has happened before

the Gallaghers are (supposedly) already booked, so it's nothing like the same as a slot that still* had to be filled late in the day.

(*I'm guessing someone had canceled, which is why the slot wasn't filled til late)

Edited by eFestivals

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the Gallaghers are (supposedly) already booked, so it's nothing like the same as a slot that still* had to be filled late in the day.

(*I'm guessing someone had canceled, which is why the slot wasn't filled til late)

Dunno if I'm misinterpreting you here, but it was unbooked because Foos pulled out and Florence moved up, leaving the sub slot free.