2019 Possibilities (Non Pyramid Headliner)

Doug85

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

True on the history/back catalogue thing, but I'd also say Ellie Goulding was bigger than Tame Impala in 2016 (though they were on different days and Tame Impala were a replacement, so it's not as good a comparison). Probably Katy Perry bigger than The National, too.

Seems to me that these outright pop acts who appeal to the Pyramid dwellers and work best in the daytime get put on earlier than the more respected acts (to an extent, obviously). I feel like that's worded badly but I can't be arsed to try and word it any better.

48 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think it’s a conscious decision by the festival to have someone very popular on after the legend to stop the crowd drifting off straight afterwards. In recent years they’ve had Chic, Ellie Goulding, Sheeran... Ezra fits with that.

All good points and to be honest I get this, I think I'm just trying to convince myself otherwise.

I'm probably wrong as I'm not exactly up on these things, I can see George playing that slot but I don't think Christine is big enough to sub the Pyramid. 

1 hour ago, sisco said:

Neil’s music info says Noel is playing

Noel is touring over that weekend 

Daily Star say he’s playing Saturday

Or

people on efests don’t want to believe it so are interrupting 1 line wrongly

Hmmm wonder what we should believe?

Noel’s touring every weekend so I don’t think that’s much evidence. Also there was supposedly something coming from one of his musicians that they’re pencilled in for 2020 that you’ve neglected to mention as well.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Noel’s touring every weekend so I don’t think that’s much evidence. Also there was supposedly something coming from one of his musicians that they’re pencilled in for 2020 that you’ve neglected to mention as well.

some random bloke with a claim is not anything worth putting trust in against the alternatives.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

The same info that originally mentioned Liam and Noel (with Stormzy) also had Gambino as a possible Stormzy sub so not wishful thinking at all. If it turns out the Liam bit is wrong then I’d expect Gambino in his place.

Although of course any info mentioning Noel has also mentioned Liam so would be odd for one of them to be there and not the other. Then both subbing may seem off to a lot on here, but to most casual festival goers I can imagine it’d be a dream come true and almost as good as Oasis being there themselves.

Even if Liam on Friday is wrong, he'll still be there and that's been said as much. With the general consensus that Noel with sub Saturday that will leave you a Sunday sub. It would not shock me if the condition for Macca to play is Noel subs. 

2 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Couldn't care less if he plays and I'm predicting he'll be there in 2020 instead, so it makes no difference to me which one he's at. I'm saying 2020 because that's what I think the info means, not because I don't want him there.

Weirdly nobody was this resistant last year when I said Liam was playing even when he wasn’t on the poster. I turned out right then too, although I’m not actually in the know this time.

Appreciate the effort and I look forward to poster day when finally claim triumph in the Noel for 2020 battle. I will probably see him when he does play.

1 hour ago, EamerRed said:

I don't see how NG saying 'I would absolutely love to play Glastonbury next year', in a direct quote to the Mirror back in September 2018, can be interpreted as anything other than 2019. ?‍♂️

No one is interpreting that quote as meaning 2020. I'm sure he would love to play any year.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

True, but the alternatives in this instance are not random blokes, they're people with exceedingly good sources.

But nobody thinks your source is wrong lol, they think it was referring to 2020. I'm sure it will be correct and he'll play one of the two years.

In terms of the Daily Star, I put no stock in what they have to say.

16 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Is there anything in The Kinks rumour? That would be great to see, don't see where they would fit on the lineup though with the Legends slot gone

I imagine the Kinks reunion is about as likely this year as Jimmy Pages saying "new music and a tour coming next year", for the last 30 years.

37 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

plenty of your good sources have turned out to have duff info in the past, including your very well placed source on the Beach Boys being proven wrong today.

Some sources are better than others. I'm fully aware of that, and I make no efforts to hide if/when I get it wrong.

I don't discount the chance of any random being right, but (in this instance) it's still far more likely that well-entrenched music biz journos are on the money compared to a random, and most particularly when those journos don't standardly do festival rumours (the one this year was the first in years). If they're saying it it's because they know with the greatest certainty anyone is able to have outside of an official announcement.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

only by deciding that it means something different to what it actually literally said.

Yeah, Neil, I understand that. I was saying that no one thinks your source has incorrect information, we think they were referring to a different year. Maybe they are referring to 2019 and you're right, we'll see when the poster drops (or in June if he does a secret set, which I also find more likely than both him and Liam subbing in the same year).

22 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

In terms of the Daily Star, I put no stock in what they have to say.

I used to be able to find out exactly where the Star had sourced anything they published, but unfortunately can't do that now. :( 

And i know from that they're often speculating rather than working from reliable info; they have space to fill every day whether there's something to say or not.

But I also know that it's often come from the band/their manager/their agent/their PR/etc.

When they include a level of story detail is more than is necessary to work click-bait from using the band's name - such as with stating a day a band is playing at Glastonbury - then I'd say it's most likely that's come from a reliable source.

And when the more-exciting made-up click-bait story would be to have the Gallaghers rivalling each other on the same day, I reckon that's what they'd write for a falsey.

Edited by eFestivals

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah, Neil, I understand that. I was saying that no one thinks your source has incorrect information, we think they were referring to a different year. Maybe they are referring to 2019 and you're right, we'll see when the poster drops (or in June if he does a secret set, which I also find more likely than both him and Liam subbing in the same year).

The wording was a little strange I agree but surely the fact Noel is playing a gig the Glasto weekend (I think) which he never normally does suggests he's playing this year? 

10 minutes ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

The wording was a little strange I agree but surely the fact Noel is playing a gig the Glasto weekend (I think) which he never normally does suggests he's playing this year? 

Playing a gig just 1hr30 away, in Exeter on the Sunday, to be precise.

22 minutes ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

I'm not sure if he usually plays gigs over Glasto weekend but he's usually actively touring at the time so I don't think it really makes any difference.