Craft Beer

feral chile

18 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Brewdog are c**ts:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/28/brewdog-lawsuit-bar-punk-brewer-pub

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-39410244

Left Handed Giant are a nice one in my area. There's hundreds of craft breweries around though.

Brewdog do give 10% of their profits to their staff, and a further 10% to charity, so I suppose that's in their favour. 

I work for a brewery and get asked this all the time and the simplest way to answer was actually posted on the first page: It is a beer made in a non traditional way. Although the part about it only being small breweries isn't the case any more.

Blue Moon is my favourite beer, absolutely lovely the stuff. Definitely a craft beer and owned by a huge company.

Your best bet is to get to Tesco as they do 3 craft beers for £5 in bottles/cans (or they did a few months ago anyway). If you can find out their favourite then perfect but if they're a craft beer drinker they probably like to try different ones anyway.

EDIT: It's not who I work for but try the Tiny Rebel stuff, too. They seem to be everywhere now.

Edited by DareToDibble

3 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I work for a brewery and get asked this all the time and the simplest way to answer was actually posted on the first page: It is a beer made in a traditional way. Although the part about it only being small breweries isn't the case any more.

Blue Moon is my favourite beer, absolutely lovely the stuff. Definitely a craft beer and owned by a huge company.

Your best bet is to get to Tesco as they do 3 craft beers for £5 in bottles/cans (or they did a few months ago anyway). If you can find out their favourite then perfect but if they're a craft beer drinker they probably like to try different ones anyway.

EDIT: It's not who I work for but try the Tiny Rebel stuff, too. They seem to be everywhere now.

Altered for you ie - it's a traditional way. I know that you know this, but it may help any confusion.

13 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I work for a brewery and get asked this all the time and the simplest way to answer was actually posted on the first page: It is a beer made in a non traditional way. Although the part about it only being small breweries isn't the case any more.

Couple of pubs round my way doing the blue moon on draft. I like it.

whats your thoughts on the slice of orange ?

2 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

I am anti-orange!

Blue moon is lovely though!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

16 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Altered for you ie - it's a traditional way. I know that you know this, but it may help any confusion.

Thanks! There's enough confusion about what it is without me throwing that spanner in the works.

16 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

I'm very pro-orange. Although I have noticed a design flaw in the new shaped glass in that the orange is the same width as the glass towards the bottom causing the orange to block the liquid (if the bar uses a full circle like they're meant to - some just use a slice). Bit of a nuisance trying to get your hand in there to dislodge it!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 1:48 PM, Barry Fish said:

It is a beer made in a non traditional way"

Sorry but I have had to come out of retirement to have a little chuckle at some of the rubbish being spouted on here.  Specially by people who apparently work at Brewery.

Beer has largely been made the same way since the dawn of making beer.  

1. You soak the grains and extract the sugar creating wort.
  2. The wort is then boiled adding hops as required to create a level of bitterness and aroma.
  3. You then add yeast and ferment.
  4. Then you put it in a bottle, keg or cask of some description and carbonate it either naturally or by force carbonating it.

Craft beer has no definition unlike Real Ale.  Many people have argued over a definition and this is the best one I can find (bottom of post)....

I wouldn't say its a perfect list but there is no definition agreed upon...

It certainly has nothing to do with brewing beer in a non traditional way.  I can only think people saying this are calling brewing methods used by the massive brewery's where they sacrifice taste for profit, force carbonate and pasteurises and add additives is being seen as traditional - when in fact its relativity new in the history of making beer and results in really shit beer the masses seem to flock too.

Just to add a lot of craft beer is forced carbonated ( if not it would have claim to be Real Ale)

Look up Real Ale if you want to go the next level of drinking better beer (although not always better tasting - often a craft beer can be better than a real ale for taste alone).

A European Craft Brewery:

1) Is Small

Brews less than 500,000 HL annually. *see point 3 below

2) Is Authentic

a) brews all their beers at original gravity

b) does not use rice, corn or any other adjuncts to lessen flavour and reduce costs

3) Is Honest

a) All ingredients are clearly listed on the label of all of their beers.

b) The place where the beer is brewed is clearly listed on all of their beers.

c) All their beer is brewed at craft breweries.

4) Is Independent

Is not more than 20% owned by a brewing company which operates any brewery which is not a craft brewery

Hello Barry,

I'm wondering why you have bothered to come out of retirement to have a little chuckle, especially about the words It is a beer made in a non traditional way". DareToDibble said those words, and, I would suggest, evidently to all rational people, meant to say 'traditional', and not 'non traditional'. I pointed this out to him, and he indicated his thanks at the clarification ie that he meant to write 'traditional, and not 'non traditional'. 

So, that matter was clarified on the 28th November. Then you steam in all guns blazing on the 18th December ridiculing the statement which had already been clarified, and effectively annulled. 

I'm just wondering how you have the audacity to claim 'rubbish', when the whole reason for your response (according to yourself) is based on 'rubbish'?

The issue is the part in bold was put forward by Brewdog I believe, who are definitely a Craft Brewery... however they have made those suggestions as it applies to them. The minute they break the 500,000HL mark I highly doubt they are going to then start claiming they are no longer a Craft brewer.

The reality is the definition of "craft beer" will always vary depending on what suits each individual brewer.

Edited by DareToDibble

On 18 December 2018 at 1:48 PM, Barry Fish said:

It is a beer made in a non traditional way"

Sorry but I have had to come out of retirement...

Barry bloody Fish? Really nice to see you post again oafc. Been lurking in the mean time have we? If so I admire your restraint.

You realise you're being the stereotypical real ale bore though right?

;)

I've been joking for ages that sanctimonious vapists are the modern equivalent.

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

I was only tackling the post quoted - and I took it at "face value?" - we are not all unemployed scroungers with lots of time on their hands like you me old mukka :D

good to be back :P 

Hello Barry,

It's true that I don't work, and haven't done so for approaching 5 years now. However, I do not claim anything off the state. I live in a magnificent Grade II listed property in the country, which I own outright. I live off the money that I made before I 'retired' at the age of 47. I take it from your post that you still have to work. How deliciously pleasing that is to me, me old mukka. In fact, I think my Schadenfreude - O - Meter is about to go off the scale and explode. Just to let you know that myself and my wife are going on an extensive tour of the Far East early next year, which I have paid for myself in full. 

So, to conclude, we can determine that your initial 'return' post was inaccurate, that your statement that I'm a scrounger is inaccurate, that I am unemployed is inaccurate, as I am now retired. 

Wishing you a happy Christmas, and I hope that you enjoy your few days off work. 

Oh, one last point - did I tell you that I come from a wealthy family, and will inherit a scandalous amount of money? No?

Suck it up Barry, suck it all up.

6 hours ago, feral chile said:

Bois, bois, chwarae teg nawr.

Nadolig Llawen!

:santa:

Hello feral,

That's a nice call, and the decent thing to suggest.

However, me and Barry will never see eye to eye, and that's just the way it is. I could explain why, but I'll meet you half way, and not do so - for now, at least.

I wish you and yours all the very best for the Xmas period. :)

12 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello feral,

That's a nice call, and the decent thing to suggest.

However, me and Barry will never see eye to eye, and that's just the way it is. I could explain why, but I'll meet you half way, and not do so - for now, at least.

I wish you and yours all the very best for the Xmas period. :)

Thanks! And you and yours too :)

Can't wait to retire myself!

Have a lovely Christmas.

Iechyd Da :)

Edited by feral chile

• 2 months later...
42 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I had the misfortune to be taken to a Brew Dog pub for my birthday. I ended up having just one pint as all the bearded twats were annoying me. Then there was the price of beer which you stump up to then not even be given a full pint. 

Hello Rufus,

Good to hear from you. Hope all's good with you.

As for Brew Dog - I seem to recall having a sip of their Punk Ale (I can't recall if that's it's proper name) and not liking it one bit. There's loads of lovely real ales around where I live now, although I don't go out to pubs that much anymore. Certainly not like my heyday, when I used to live in the places.