Kraftwerk

Blisterpack

It doesn't seem to be a UK festival exclusive, so I reckon they are gonna be on the farm! Seems to fit in with the touring schedule so far. I can't work out what slot they'd likely get, Other or West Holts headliner?

I worry it may be a similar situation to Aphex Twin the other year, where he wanted Other but was offered a smaller stage so didn't end up playing (at least that is what I read in another thread on here if my memory serves me right)

5 minutes ago, 87 BEANS said:

It doesn't seem to be a UK festival exclusive, so I reckon they are gonna be on the farm! Seems to fit in with the touring schedule so far. I can't work out what slot they'd likely get, Other or West Holts headliner?

I worry it may be a similar situation to Aphex Twin the other year, where he wanted Other but was offered a smaller stage so didn't end up playing (at least that is what I read in another thread on here if my memory serves me right)

I know it’s not an exclusive but it just seems like a unique ‘fit’ for them at that festival. Feels like an event. I’m there in a heartbeat obviously. Back to my Cheshire roots! 

3 minutes ago, 87 BEANS said:

I've said this before, but it's a fucking disgrace if Kraftwerk aren't a big enough draw for Other. If Paul McCartney wasn't there, they'd be the most influential act on the farm by far, every year.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've said this before, but it's a fucking disgrace if Kraftwerk aren't a big enough draw for Other. If Paul McCartney wasn't there, they'd be the most influential act on the farm by far, every year.

Ah, but therein lies the rub, S2H. 

They ARE hugely influential. Without them much of the music that I have held, and continue to hold, dearest would not exist without them. But over a whole set they are, I’m afraid, just a little samey and...gulp...boring. I saw them headline Latitude a few years ago with the 3D show. Effects of the visuals were pretty damn cool, the 3D very effective. Crowd shots of 10s if 1000s all in 3D glasses were really cool! But, after an hour or so, I’d had enough. And I like Kraftwerk. I grew up with Kraftwerk. So I’d say that their greatest legacy, is their legacy. Not necessarily their contribution as a live act. Fast forward that to 2019 and I think an Other crowd might start sizeable, but dwindle. With the current spectacular sound, I’d stick ‘em on West Holts. For an hour. Everyone wins!

Ben

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

They ARE hugely influential. Without them much of the music that I have held, and continue to hold, dearest would not exist without them. But over a whole set they are, I’m afraid, just a little samey and...gulp...boring. I saw them headline Latitude a few years ago with the 3D show. Effects of the visuals were pretty damn cool, the 3D very effective. Crowd shots of 10s if 1000s all in 3D glasses were really cool! But, after an hour or so, I’d had enough. And I like Kraftwerk. I grew up with Kraftwerk. So I’d say that their greatest legacy, is their legacy. Not necessarily their contribution as a live act. Fast forward that to 2019 and I think an Other crowd might start sizeable, but dwindle. With the current spectacular sound, I’d stick ‘em on West Holts. For an hour. Everyone wins!

Ben

Friends and I, who saw them at Latitude, have been having this exact debate. I really enjoyed it, others less so. How influential they are positively impacted how much I enjoyed them but it made others just yearn for the music they influenced. I get that - their music made me want to dance without really being danceable imo. If I had plans to see a great dance act after i’d be well up for it. I’d fear the Other would be a lacklustre atmosphere though (through no fault of theirs). West holts would be special though.

7 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

With the current spectacular sound, I’d stick ‘em on West Holts. For an hour.

Sound at West Holts for The Jackson’s in 2017 was terrible though. Hopefully not a repeat of that. That said I’m not a fan of Other. I’d like them on John Peel myself, in the dark.

7 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

As a certified Kraftwerk hater, I can at least appreciate they have been very influential but I reckon Ben has nailed it there. 

Having said that, if what you influence is also shite, what's the point? ?

Smash the looms!!! Burn down the textile factory!!! ?

8 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

That's exactly how I feel about them. Still to see them and would prefer to see them at their own gig rather than a multi option festival. 

Even when I listen on vinyl, I get a bit bored after a few tunes. Just because they broke down  the doors, does not mean  they were first to to the fridge. What came after was better imo, even if Kraftwerk were hugely influential on what followed (Not just with electronic music but also hip hop).

I will probably see them at Bluedot. Would not bother at Glastonbury I don't think.

8 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Having said that, if what you influence is also shite, what's the point? ?

Can’t comment on their live act as I’ve yet to see them, but hugely anticipate the Blue Dot performance. Anyway, here’s a list of just some of the ‘shite’ acts they’ve influenced (According to Wikipedia):

David Bowie

Depeche Mode

Bjork

Joy Division

New Order

Gary Numan

Soft Cell

Daft Punk

The Prodigy

Siouxsie & The Banshees

OMD

The Orb

Blondie

U2

Franz Ferdinand

Rammstein

Erasure

Human League etc...

....it’s a shame not to like at least one on the list!

9 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

They ARE hugely influential. Without them much of the music that I have held, and continue to hold, dearest would not exist without them. But over a whole set they are, I’m afraid, just a little samey and...gulp...boring. I saw them headline Latitude a few years ago with the 3D show. Effects of the visuals were pretty damn cool, the 3D very effective. Crowd shots of 10s if 1000s all in 3D glasses were really cool! But, after an hour or so, I’d had enough. And I like Kraftwerk. I grew up with Kraftwerk. So I’d say that their greatest legacy, is their legacy. Not necessarily their contribution as a live act. Fast forward that to 2019 and I think an Other crowd might start sizeable, but dwindle. With the current spectacular sound if you stand in the right place, otherwise it's absolutely awful, I’d stick ‘em on West Holts. For an hour. Everyone wins!

Ben

FTFY.