4 minutes ago, VCK said:

But in the context of this being a music festival in the UK, where stage positions are based on an artist's popularity in this country, The Streets subbing probably wouldn't be as surprising as Panic being booked to sub was. Plus you have to take into account that The Streets aren't that well known outside of the UK, whereas I'd imagine a lot of those people who have streamed Panic are from America and elsewhere.

Fam have you seen the tours Panic do here atm?

9 minutes ago, VCK said:

Didn't they announce the upcoming arena tour around the time of R&L this year?

Dunno but I don't get your point. They've got a big arena tour that's completely sold out, and iirc sold out pretty much instantly. The Streets could sell nowhere near that many tickets so I don't buy the argument of "If Panic can sub so can The Streets".

If your point is that they weren't that big before R&L/we didn't know they were that big, then they clearly were, we're just out of touch. The Streets definitely aren't near that size.

• Upvote 1

The Streets are absolutely nowhere near Panic's size at the moment, what a bizarre suggestion.

Death of a Bachelor did huge numbers for him, the Slam Dunk headline slot was excellent, the three or four shows he did at the end of the year sold out quickly, Pray for the Wicked is his highest charting album and only got held off top spot by the juggernaut that was The Greatest Showman soundtrack, a single he released in May has almost as many streams in six months as their most recognisable song - which came out in 2005 - and as pointed out his new tour sold out near instantly. They're massively in the mainstream at the moment.

I genuinely haven't heard anything about The Streets since FIFA 2005.

No. But it indicates a certain level of popularity in spite of a long spell away. I'm not saying the could sub. Pretty sure I never did . I was merely arguing your point that they hadn't existed since 2005 because you hadn't heard anything of them. Years ago when I started going to Reading a couple of sold out nights at Brixton would've given an act headline status 

I know you didn't say they could, but that was the general point I was arguing since it was made earlier in the thread.

And I never said they didn't exist, just that they clearly don't have the same level of mainstream appeal if someone can go 13 years without knowing anything about them. The six year hiatus obviously didn't help.

7 minutes ago, Jericode said:

I know you didn't say they could, but that was the general point I was arguing since it was made earlier in the thread.

And I never said they didn't exist, just that they clearly don't have the same level of mainstream appeal if someone can go 13 years without knowing anything about them. The six year hiatus obviously didn't help.

They've clearly had a boost if they can go from headlining John Peel at Glastonbury to reportedly headlining the Other Stage or subbing the Pyramid upon reuniting. Really not unconceivable that they could, in the same timeframe, go from headlining the NME to subbing the main stage, not that I personally see them playing at all now.

8 hours ago, atomised said:

Yet they play 5 nights at Brixton as part of their February tour next year following 3 or 4 nights at the same venue earlier this year Clearly the Streets are complete unknowns not seen since 2005

Do you think its really the R&L audience going to these Brixton gigs? surely its like 30 year olds who are going as a throwback from when they were 20 or so - @TheWaters you went right?

Edited by gfa

7 hours ago, Jericode said:

Seems a very strange “argument” to use your own personal depth of knowledge to judge their size.

40 minutes ago, gfa said:

Do you think its really the R&L audience going to these Brixton gigs? surely its like 30 year olds who are going as a throwback from when they were 20 or so - @TheWaters you went right?

Massively mixed crowds. The Streets are very much indie disco material, the gigs were similar to the Roses gigs in the way quite a few of the people there were younger than even the reissues.

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime
  • Upvote 1

The Streets are definitely not exclusively for older people, I'm 20 and most of the people my age i know have seen them or at least wanted to see them at one of their shows 

1 hour ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

Seems a very strange “argument” to use your own personal depth of knowledge to judge their size.

Massively mixed crowds. The Streets are very much indie disco material, the gigs were similar to the Roses gigs in the way quite a few of the people there were younger than even the reissues.

I agree with this, the crowd at roses was very mixed, i saw them when i was 18 and there were loads of people my age their and it seems to be a similar case for the streets 

1 hour ago, dum surfer said:

The Streets are definitely not exclusively for older people, I'm 20 and most of the people my age i know have seen them or at least wanted to see them at one of their shows 

I agree with this, the crowd at roses was very mixed, i saw them when i was 18 and there were loads of people my age their and it seems to be a similar case for the streets 

Really? I’m shocked, they weren’t even that popular back in the day, I can only remember 3-4 songs despite buying both (did they have more than 2 albums?? I only have 2 either way) albums. 

15 minutes ago, Benj said:

Really? I’m shocked, they weren’t even that popular back in the day, I can only remember 3-4 songs despite buying both (did they have more than 2 albums?? I only have 2 either way) albums. 

5 albums. And yeah everyone I know and go to gigs and festivals with who are aged 15-25 all adore the Streets, and these are all people who go to R&L. Like It’s rare to find out one of my mates doesn’t like them tbf.

Then again, I’m from Coventry and I spend most of my time in Birmingham so it’s completely biased haha.

Edited by TheWaters

Acts announced for Longitude;

• Chance the Rapper
  • A$AP Rocky
  • Future
  • Brockhampton
  • Rae Sremmurd
  • Lil Uzi Vert
  • Juice WRLD
  • Versatile
  • Aminé
  • Denzel Curry
  • $uicideBoy$
  • Lil Baby
  • Sheck Wes
  • Clairo
  • Slowthai
  • Flohio

Which of these are we likely to see at RandL (besides Juice WRLD obviously)?

Personally think Chance into The 1975 would work quite well.

Almost half expecting to see BROCKHAMPTON again this year.

Denzel Curry headlining 1Xtra or low down R1 would be cool too?

Edited by jamieaslee

26 minutes ago, jamieaslee said:

Acts announced for Longitude;

• Chance the Rapper
  • A$AP Rocky
  • Future
  • Brockhampton
  • Rae Sremmurd
  • Lil Uzi Vert
  • Juice WRLD
  • Versatile
  • Aminé
  • Denzel Curry
  • $uicideBoy$
  • Lil Baby
  • Sheck Wes
  • Clairo
  • Slowthai
  • Flohio

Which of these are we likely to see at RandL (besides Juice WRLD obviously)?

Personally think Chance into The 1975 would work quite well.

Almost half expecting to see BROCKHAMPTON again this year.

Denzel Curry headlining 1Xtra or low down R1 would be cool too?

Hard to say really considering the festivals are a month and a half apart. Not sure I'd fancy Chance into 1975 though, feel like the shouts of TDCC seem a lot more fitting.

Also, if they bring back Post due to his success last year I've no doubt they'll do the same with BROCKHAMPTON

Edited by MIchael_scarn

On 12/3/2018 at 7:37 PM, TheWaters said:

5 albums. And yeah everyone I know and go to gigs and festivals with who are aged 15-25 all adore the Streets, and these are all people who go to R&L. Like It’s rare to find out one of my mates doesn’t like them tbf.

Then again, I’m from Coventry and I spend most of my time in Birmingham so it’s completely biased haha.

Is everyone equally still into The Enemy there too?!

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, tobydlb said:

going back to if the streets are big enough to sub debate. Look at courteeners, they barely have more monthly listeners on spotify than the streets and they subbed last year

true (and the streets are better), i would love them to be there but at this point i doubt they'll be making an appearance this year