Why You Like The Music You Like, Why You Dislike The Music You Dont

chatty

I'm 32 Guns n Roses are the first band I can remember being in to, when I was 5 or 6 my step brother said "come listen to this" and played me some appetite for destruction that year my mum scoured the shops for a copy on vinyl and gave it to me for Christmas, I was heavily asthmatic back then and had to sit on a nebulizer for a couple of hours a day and would sit with it on the record player. I would take the sleeve in to school with the lyrics on and remember showing the other kids the swear words on it (how cool was I) 

Around the same time my dad would pick my sister and myself up to go to our grandparents for Sunday dinner and he would be playing Dire Straits and ELO in the car.

Early 90s my other step brother got me listening to Eurythimcs, Queen, UB40 and Meatloaf, Bat out of hell was the first album I bought for myself with pocket money.

Mid 90s I got in to pop from always being bought a "Now that's what I call music" cd every year for Xmas, Babybird - You're Gorgeous was a single I remember buying. There were other things I heard in this time but didn't appreciate until later such as skunk anansie and REM just two that come to mind.

Late 90s early 2000s started the electronic and punk stuff for me such as drum n bass and hardcore, green day and nirvana oh and dabbles of linkin park, korn and slipknot.

I found a couple of cassettes which belonged to my brother from Dreamscape 97 in shepton mallet which was the start of my rave career around 2003 when Global Gathering was still a thing.

I stayed with the drum and bass a few years and used to DJ a bit dropping the bass bombs and eating sweeties until I peaked around 2005 when I discovered Bloc Party from a poster on a friends wall, then the love of guitar music started again.

Then in 2006 Tool released 10000 days (I heard of them by watching the Osbournes where Jack Osbourne has the wrench t shirt on, which I now have) and I bought a copy from a now closed down small music shop.

Since then the most notable things I have got in to such as The War On Drugs and Bears Den are a direct result from this forum and seeing them at Glastonbury :)

the story continues...

edited to say I took my dad to see Jeff Lynnes ELO this year for his 65th birthday and it was a special night.

Edited by JayBalls

On 11/22/2018 at 4:07 PM, Yokel Again said:

Isn't 'taste freeze' something that happens around 35? I'm past that and struggle with it, I don't want to sound like my Dad but surprise myself that often I do. With regards to new music, it's becoming apparent to me that the 'new music' I like normally sounds like my 'old music' anyway. It's rarely a new style/genre. But saying that, in the last few years I've become far more willing to listen to anything and less judgemental before I try it. I pity anyone who knew me as a student when I would judge them by their CD collection. 

Oof that sounds a bit like me a few years ago. Though I think that there are rarely any truly new genres anyway. Take "Indie" it has long since lost its meaning as a band/artist working as an "independent" it's just rock music. Apart from a useful way of talking about music I don't like the way that music is split into genres and sub genres. Anyone here a New-industrial-thrash-metal fan? Bollox innit?

I was a kid in the sixties but started to take an interest in music in the 70s, first album "Band On The Run" (wonder what happened to that lad?) First gig was Yes and I still listen to some "prog" now. I should add that the only claim to any musical influence from my parents was the odd bit off swing. Indeed my dear old Mam was at Glenn Miller's last concert before going missing.

In the 70s I largely eschewed punk but grew to like bands that emerged in the aftermath. I loved Ska and Reggae and discovered Dub. I like most "classic rock" (Free, Bad Co, Rory Gallagher, Thin Lizzy etc.) and oddly amongst my contemporaries I "got" funk, Sly, George C et al. Also loved Tangerine Dream and other electronica. Certain artists have meant more to me over the years.

In no particular order; Springsteen, Yes, Peter Gabriel, Prince and an Irish band called Horslips.

As the years have passed I have embraced most genres with exception of rap. I think this down to the way I listen to music which is very much tune over lyrics, so that almost spoken word genre is just not interesting. Dunno.

But if you were to dig through my record, CD and download collection there isn't much you wouldn't find.

• Upvote 1

On 11/25/2018 at 9:51 AM, Rumblestripe said:

In no particular order; Springsteen, Yes, Peter Gabriel, Prince and an Irish band called Horslips.

Another Horslips fan!!!! That made me happy, was beginning to think I was the only one left.  (The rest of your favourites aren’t too shabby either)

I was brought up with the Beatles in the background, mixed with a bit of Elvis, Cliff (who, at the age of 4, I was definitely going to marry).  Mum and dad loved Jim Reeves but were overruled by the seven kids by the time I came around.  First single I bought with my own money  was Boom-bang-a-bang by Lulu which was only because I knew it would really piss off one of by brothers.  

My first hearing of Bowie completely changed my life.  Since then, I will listen to pretty much everything.  There is some I just don’t get (EDM, I’m looking at you in particular) but that doesn’t mean it’s bad, my ears just don’t hear it right.    

• Upvote 1

This is a great thread :)

Generally I fall into the "if it moves you or makes you move it's good" camp, but where my tastes came from I can only guess at. I was born in 1965 but my parents didn't really play much music until I was a bit older. What I did hear at home was The Beatles, The Monkees and later Space, Jean Michel Jarre, Boney M, Abba plus whatever was on the radio. My grandad though was a pianist and organist and he played a lot of the working mens clubs (miners welfares mostly) and he had a load of records of various keyboard inspired stuff. That's probably where my affliction for the Hammond came from and interest in Jazz or Jazz influenced music. My cousin had quite a bit of Northern Soul and Glam Rock records so that got thrown into the mix too. Punk blew this all apart with a totally new (I initially thought) noise. Got into the New Romantic sound after that, mainly OMD, Human League and Heaven 17. From then on I seem to have got in to different bands way later than everyone else. For example, I really did not get the Smiths when they were current - love them now.

None of my mates were really in to music so it was hard finding new stuff back then, and now there is so much it's equally hard. I do love trawling through Bandcamp though and finding new stuff. I struggle with a lot of more recent material as a lot of it sounds bland and uninspiring to me. If I had to single out a genre that I least listen to it's rap I'm afraid. Everything else is fair game and some of the best music I've heard is probably the least commercial. But it did move me and make me move*

* alcohol, and a tent in a field may have been involved.