Why You Like The Music You Like, Why You Dislike The Music You Dont

chatty

Thought this might make an interesting thread being so there's a fair few debates over music styles on here. Most notably the pop/indie/hip hop stuff. Think it would be cool to see how people got into the types of music they like, might bring some good stories up etc. 

Obviously, I'm gonna have to start. I'll skip over some of my first music experiences because I was an East 17 fan as a kid and I'm pretty sure the first tape I bought was Informer by Snow so aye haha. 

First real music I bought was The Bluetones - Expecting To Fly, being thirteen in 1996 was pretty much destined to be into Britpop and Slight Return was a big hit. Got into Blur, Oasis, Pulp etc from there and also was into The Offspring and Coolio (90s hits). Later ended up putting booking Mark Morris who was a proper sound bloke and had a really enjoyable gig, couldn't find that CD to get it signed though. Probably seen The Bluetones about ten times but I didn't actually see them live till about 2015.

First gig was Sterophonics in about 1998, was right at the front with some lasses we'd met, there first gig as well, we chatted then up for a fair bit then the gig started, we all got crushed, had to help the ladies out the moshpit and didn't even get laid, that started a trend that has lasted ever since tbf. 

I'm more into my heavier rock tbf though, as most from my era growing up did, Nirvana was the key to that, listened to those albums till they died, literally I think I bought Nevermind about six times cause the CD got ruined. I don't even own a copy now though lol. From there Pixies, Pearl Jam, Butthole Surfers and away I was. 

And onto the next... 

Hard to pin down as I can and do listen to a ridiculously broad spectrum. It's been commented on before that I'm not the most discerning of listeners!

Parents' LP collection was a good mix for starters, so grew up on Simon & Garfunkel, James Taylor, Bob Dylan, Beatles, Stones, Motown, Queen, Carpenters, Streisand and, strangely, Randy Crawford. Classical music compilations.

Older brother got introduced to classic rock and metal, so at about 11 I it then branched out into Maiden, Metallica, GnR, Napalm Death, Slayer, Deep Purple, Sabbath and Led Zep. Developed my own sideline love of Madness, Specials, Bad Manners.

Teenager in the 90s, so Britpop was pretty inescapable. Blur, Oasis, Pulp, Echobelly, Reef. Shine. Also got a copy of REM's IRS years greatest hits, discovered the Smiths. ...Best Album in the World Ever and Shine compilations. Always had a soft spot for 80s compilations.

6th form and someone FINALLY came to my school who listened to more "alternative stuff". Introduced me to Levellers, Chili Peppers, Rage Against the Machine, Offspring, Green Day, Marilyn Manson, Nirvana. Started buying Kerrang, borrowed CDs from people. Cranberries, Prodigy, Suede, Ash, Terrorvision, Stereophonics, Radiohead.

Worked in a Cash Converters for a while, so had first dibs on new stock that people flogged us before it hit the shelves. Lunchbreaks browsing piles of CDs. Eagles, Bjork, Cypress Hill, Smashing Pumpkins, Bob Marley. People buy me random stuff I might like, everything from Charlie Mingus to Zwan.

Someone introduced me to Etherwood's first album. Started discovering stuff like London Elektricity and Kolsch. More electronica.

Combination of my brother in law taking me to GF in 2009 and Mrs Q getting me a Deezer subscription a few years later REALLY opened the floodgates, and now I will listen to absolutely anything at least once. Also now have the chance to go back and try all the music I never listened to before through ignorance or cash restrictions.

And everything I've listed above I can still listen to and enjoy if I'm in the right mood.

My approach to music is a snapshot of my life.  There are no hobbies or passions in my life that are absolutely all-consuming, although some are obviously a bigger deal than others.  I want to try it all, listen to every record, eat every kind of food, try every kind of beer, read every kind of book. I skim over detail in favour of wider experiences. I'm also a nostalgic person, so I always have a love for things that make up my past. Even Barbara pissing Streisand.  And I fucking love it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, chatty said:

First gig was Sterophonics in about 1998, was right at the front with some lasses we'd met, there first gig as well, we chatted then up for a fair bit then the gig started, we all got crushed, had to help the ladies out the moshpit and didn't even get laid, that started a trend that has lasted ever since tbf. 

The first gig I went to was PJ and Duncan when I was in Year 6 at Kettering Leisure Village. I went with my friend and our parents were going to pick us up after. I also got crushed at the front due to my over excitement to get near the barrier and we had to get pulled out by bouncers. Rock n Roll....

• Like 2

Just now, Sasperella said:

The first gig I went to was PJ and Duncan when I was in Year 6 at Kettering Leisure Village. I went with my friend and our parents were going to pick us up after. I also got crushed at the front due to my over excitement to get near the barrier and we had to get pulled out by bouncers. Rock n Roll....

Ha, they played Excaliburs under-18 night when I was about 15 I think! I'd forgotten that! :lol:

1 minute ago, Sasperella said:

Hahahaha Ive just realised I lied, the first gig I saw was Another Level who came and played at our school, basically went because it got me out of an afternoon of lessons. 

8 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

you should have been ready to rumble :) 

Just now, chatty said:

Hahahaha Ive just realised I lied, the first gig I saw was Another Level who came and played at our school, basically went because it got me out of an afternoon of lessons. 

Ha ha. I was just going to say that. Couldn't remember if you'd left by then. Another level touring schools man?. Especially an all lads school, it was never going to go well. 

My first tape/record was bad by Jacko when I was a real young'un, also remember wearing no knees jeans because of Bross lol. I didn't properly get in to music until I was about 10 or 11 though and then there were two ways to go, it was either Oasis and Britpop or rave and Techno T and that, So Britpop it was.

My first gig was James at the Metro arena, they were supported by cast, who I loved and couldn't wait to see. It was a Thursday night so me and my two mates were at school the next day but that didn't stop us getting pissed on the way and missing most of cast lol. Starting a tradition of managing to miss many support bands over the years.

As I got older and started going to Glasto I became far more open to giving anything a chance and I'll pretty much give anything a chance these days. 

Anyway, I thought you were meant to be ripping a carpet up not writing a section of your autobiography??

After growing up in an environment where my parents listened to Black Sabbath, Bowie, The Kinks, Hendrix, Iggy & the Stooges, Pink Fairies, The Monkees, The Pretty Things, Dr Hook, Cat Stevens, etc my first foray into music was taping certain songs from the charts on a Sunday night. The first LP I ever bought was A Salt with a Deadly Pepa but at that time I wasn't necessarily into a specific genre and used to buy the "Now That's What I Call Music" albums as there was a bit of everything on there.

It wasn't until I was at secondary school when my love of music became more focused and it was around 1992 when my taste began to become extremely eclectic. I was the only person I knew who was listening to Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, RATM, Nirvana, Helmet, Mudhoney, Depeche Mode, The Melvins and house and jungle tekno at the same time. After going to a rave one night I offered to put my cassette of Dirt by AIC on and a mate threw it out the top floor flat window. As the rave scene died, Britpop arrived and being in my late teens I got swept along in that, listening to everything on the scene at that time. All that time even though certain scenes came and went, I still held a special place in my heart for the acts and genres that resonated with me the most. I guess that's how I've been since the early 90s, picking up certain bands along the way until today when my music library has become one huge mix of the weird and wonderful.

I can't say that my musical taste is that sophisticated. As much as I've tried, I've never been able to wrap my head around the more avant garde or esoteric acts (from all genres) but I absolutely respect the musicianship that goes into producing it and the fact that it makes one person feel the way that the music I love makes me feel. One thing I'm very careful of doing on forums like this is projecting my own musical taste onto anyone else. Music has been the one constant in my adult life and provided me with escapism, comfort, excitement, joy and sadness, most of it is very personal to me and I'm pretty sure the same goes for most of you too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Glastocat said:

Ha ha. I was just going to say that. Couldn't remember if you'd left by then. Another level touring schools man?. Especially an all lads school, it was never going to go well. 

My first tape/record was bad by Jacko when I was a real young'un, also remember wearing no knees jeans because of Bross lol. I didn't properly get in to music until I was about 10 or 11 though and then there were two ways to go, it was either Oasis and Britpop or rave and Techno T and that, So Britpop it was.

My first gig was James at the Metro arena, they were supported by cast, who I loved and couldn't wait to see. It was a Thursday night so me and my two mates were at school the next day but that didn't stop us getting pissed on the way and missing most of cast lol. Starting a tradition of managing to miss many support bands over the years.

As I got older and started going to Glasto I became far more open to giving anything a chance and I'll pretty much give anything a chance these days. 

Anyway, I thought you were meant to be ripping a carpet up not writing a section of your autobiography??

Carpets done and dusted, back home now watching some shite football factory rip off. 

27 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Music has been the one constant in my adult life and provided me with escapism, comfort, excitement, joy and sadness, most of it is very personal to me and I'm pretty sure the same goes for most of you too.

Amen brother.

• Like 2

I think there have been essentially six phases:

1: Listening to stuff my parents liked (The stones, Meatloaf and Motown stand out in particular)

2. Discovering Now That's What I Call Music complications and a fuck of a lot of The Spice Girls....I think weirdly this phase was initiated the first time I heard Cotton Eye Joe on the tv and my Dad bought it for me on tape

3: A thankfully short-lived hip hop phase where I played 2001 on repeat and had a picture of Eminem topless on my wall. I think initiated by having a crush on a guy in my maths class who had the Slim Shady LP on his walkman

4: An obnoxious metal phase (age 15-19) where I wouldn't consider listening to anything that wasn't some genre of metal (but ideally Nu-Metal/Industrial/Punk). We had a little crew of grungers. It was ace. 

5: An even more obnoxious DnB phase throughout uni and for some time after. This entire period was quite messy, to say the least. 

6: A general mellowing where anything in the prior categories can be considered but also a lot, lot more besides. I will admit to having an extremely annoying tendency to label a lot of stuff (and my friends that insist on listening to it) as "mediocre", especially when I'm drunk. But at least the things that are not deemed to constitute mediocrity are a lot more varied these days :lol:

12 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I think there have been essentially six phases:

1: Listening to stuff my parents liked (The stones, Meatloaf and Motown stand out in particular)

2. Discovering Now That's What I Call Music complications and a fuck of a lot of The Spice Girls....I think weirdly this phase was initiated the first time I heard Cotton Eye Joe on the tv and my Dad bought it for me on tape

3: A thankfully short-lived hip hop phase where I played 2001 on repeat and had a picture of Eminem topless on my wall. I think initiated by having a crush on a guy in my maths class who had the Slim Shady LP on his walkman

4: An obnoxious metal phase (age 15-19) where I wouldn't consider listening to anything that wasn't some genre of metal (but ideally Nu-Metal/Industrial/Punk). We had a little crew of grungers. It was ace. 

5: An even more obnoxious DnB phase throughout uni and for some time after. This entire period was quite messy, to say the least. 

6: A general mellowing where anything in the prior categories can be considered but also a lot, lot more besides. I will admit to having an extremely annoying tendency to label a lot of stuff (and my friends that insist on listening to it) as "mediocre", especially when I'm drunk. But at least the things that are not deemed to constitute mediocrity are a lot more varied these days :lol:

My hip hop phase came after the metal phase, but aside from that it sounds very familiar!

Up until a few years ago, each "phase" would be quickly forgotten and I'd completely drop a genre as I moved on the next. Since around 2013 there's been a massive consolidation where i've fallen back in love with some of the highlights from each phase. Now i'm in a position where I keep making very bizarre playlists that jump all over the place ?

My first clear musical memories are that of my brother putting on Queen's greatest hits at Dinner time.

He did this everyday.  Every evening, I'd listen to Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One bites the dust, Killer Queen and, if it was a big dinner, Fat Bottomed Girls.  This went on for a good few years.

The next album that made a massive impact on me was when I was 13-14 and was given a copy of Aphex Twin - Richard D. James on cassette before I went on holiday with my Dad to scotland.  I went through so many batteries listening to that.  I had never heard anything like it before.  It was like opening up a toybox full of sounds and wonder.  I never knew noises like that existed, let alone be beautiful.

After that I went through the typical teenage angst stage, so lots of Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvarna, Deftones, Limp Bizkit (I'm not even ashamed).  

my college years I spread out in every direction, got in to hip hop and rap, drum and bass, electronica, post hardcore, thrash/heavy/black/tech metal and jazz.

I guess it's shaped my tastes insofar that I'll give most things an attempt and like a little bit of everything.  Afterall, variety is the spice of life.

4 minutes ago, eastynh said:

When Moses came down from Mt Sinai with the 10 commandments he declared "This is the New Order from god"

Now if New Order are good enough for god, who am I to argue?

Are you a fan mate?  You've never really mentioned them before :P

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jparx said:

I never joke about the 'Waddy.

My parents were quite incredibly 'amusical' (?).

There was no music played in our house when I was a kid. Nothing at all. Not that I can remember. No idea why my mother was at a Showaddywaddy gig or why she took me. I'll ask her tonight. Although Shirley was a Cavern Club regular (at the fabled lunchtimes) as a 16 year old in the 60s.

I found music - weirdly? - by:

I was always a big reader as a kid.

Then I found a computer game magazine as a kid when we were at the airport on the way to a holiday in holiday in Spain and I loved reading the reviews. Like obsessively. Until my parents bollocked me for not enjoying being on the beach, etc.

I remember getting home and looking for other 'review based' magazines to read and picking up the NME. Then Melody Maker. Then perhaps Sounds.

I read the reviews in those magazines for quite a considerable amount of time until it even occurred to me to start buying the actual records (at Our Price)!!!

This was circa mid- to late-80s.

That's how I got into music.

Bit odd really.

20 minutes ago, jparx said:

My hip hop phase came after the metal phase, but aside from that it sounds very familiar!

Up until a few years ago, each "phase" would be quickly forgotten and I'd completely drop a genre as I moved on the next. Since around 2013 there's been a massive consolidation where i've fallen back in love with some of the highlights from each phase. Now i'm in a position where I keep making very bizarre playlists that jump all over the place ?

Same! I was such a genre-dropper. The summer of 2010 I remember rediscovering a lot of metal and a whole bunch of new stuff I'd somehow missed the first time round.

You do never know when something grossly inappropriate is going to come blaring out of your "favourites" playlist on iTunes though. I guess the move to Spotify has somehow made that less of a problem as its much easier to match tunes to your audience!

15 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

My first clear musical memories are that of my brother putting on Queen's greatest hits at Dinner time.

He did this everyday.  Every evening, I'd listen to Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One bites the dust, Killer Queen and, if it was a big dinner, Fat Bottomed Girls.  This went on for a good few years.

Aaah that Queen's Greatest Hits tape. I remember it well. 

I also have zero shame in any of the teenage angst stage. And going by the crowd Limp Bizkit got at Boomtown, it would seem that a lot of other early-30-something year olds feel the exact same way :lol: