Primavera Porto 2019

amfy

I have looked and there doesn't seem to be a thread for this one but please feel free to merge if there is and I’ve missed it. 

We did Nos Alive in Lisbon last year and liked Portugal and the festival’s beachy vibe which this seems to share. The setting in Porto looks better, being an actual park rather than a car park covered in Astro-turf.

I’ve just realised that the dates for this coincide/clash with the Euro Nations League Finals in Porto next year. As football fans, this is an interesting combination for us. 

......but - have they really thought this through? Is it likely to move? Does it make sense for the city to have both these things at the same time? Will it spoil the atmosphere for those who aren’t into football, and for those of us that are into football but not so much the whole drunkenly throwing chairs at people outside bars whilst singing racist songs bit of it?

I have looked and flights are still reasonable, but accommodation is expensive - is that always the case or has the combination of 2 major events pushed prices up?

Edited by amfy
Typo

12 minutes ago, amfy said:

I have looked and there doesn't seem to be a thread for this one but please feel free to merge if there is and I’ve missed it. 

We did Nos Alive in Lisbon last year and liked Portugal and the festival’s beachy vibe which this seems to share. The setting in Porto looks better, being an actual park rather than a car park covered in Astro-turf.

I’ve just realised that the dates for this coincide/clash with the Euro Nations League Finals in Porto next year. As football fans, this is an interesting combination for us.  

......but - have they really thought this through? Is it likely to move? Does it make sense for the city to have both these things at the same time? Will it spoil the atmosphere for those who aren’t into football, and for those of us that are into football but not so much the whole drunkenly throwing chairs at people outside bars whilst singing racist songs bit of it?

I have looked and flights are still reasonable, but accommodation is expensive - is that always the case or has the combination of 2 major events pushed prices up?

I booked flights for Porto (for football) last night and had no idea this was the same weekend! That does seem really odd to me given how many English are bound to turn up, the line ups normally not enough for me to consider coming just for Primavera Porto but I'll definitely be keeping an eye out now. I guess if the festival is Thursday, Friday, Saturday and they have the two games in Porto Wednesday/Sunday it could work, but it's still not announced which games are in Porto and which are in Guimaraes and even so you'll get people coming early/staying later for both events.

Where are you looking for flights/hotels? I found it the exact opposite, Friday to Monday there's only Gatwick, Stansted and Liverpool doing direct flights, all over £200 and yet we've got a pretty nice apartment in the middle of Porto on booking.com for £80 each for 2 nights (reserved a night in Guimaraes and Porto for the Sunday, until we know where England play).

39 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

I booked flights for Porto (for football) last night and had no idea this was the same weekend! That does seem really odd to me given how many English are bound to turn up, the line ups normally not enough for me to consider coming just for Primavera Porto but I'll definitely be keeping an eye out now. I guess if the festival is Thursday, Friday, Saturday and they have the two games in Porto Wednesday/Sunday it could work, but it's still not announced which games are in Porto and which are in Guimaraes and even so you'll get people coming early/staying later for both events.

Where are you looking for flights/hotels? I found it the exact opposite, Friday to Monday there's only Gatwick, Stansted and Liverpool doing direct flights, all over £200 and yet we've got a pretty nice apartment in the middle of Porto on booking.com for £80 each for 2 nights (reserved a night in Guimaraes and Porto for the Sunday, until we know where England play).

There no direct flights from Birmingham anyway, and comparing it to our trip to Lisbon last year, £200 didn’t seem too bad! Last year we decided to go to London for a direct flight but completely forgot what a hassle getting to LHR is and would rather go out from a Brum and transit in Europe somewhere for an hour or two!

on the other hand - travail, air bnb, booking.com barely giving us anything under £800 - we’ll make it our main holiday and go for about 10 days - a habit we picked up from Sziget!

Edited by amfy
Typo ‘rum’ for Brum!

15 minutes ago, amfy said:

There no direct flights from Birmingham anyway, and comparing it to our trip to Lisbon last year, £200 didn’t seem too bad! Last year we decided to go to London for a direct flight but completely forgot what a hassle getting to LHR is and would rather go out from a Brum and transit in Europe somewhere for an hour or two!

on the other hand - travail, air bnb, booking.com barely giving us anything under £800 - we’ll make it our main holiday and go for about 10 days - a habit we picked up from Sziget! 

Yeah we went for Liverpool, couldve stopped in Dublin for 3 hours on the way back for about £60 cheaper but would've meant getting to the aiport about 10:30 day after we (hopefully) watch England in the final so didn't seem the smartest option.

Ahh fair enough, I guess £180 between me and a mate didn't seem too bad, but even if that was for ten days that would be £900 too!

Our accommodation for 10 days in Lisbon last year was only just over £400 and it was lovely. We’ve stayed in Budapest for Sziget & a couple of days either side of the festival at under £300 for 2 years running! Really nice places too!

I am thinking of going for a shorter time but would quite like to be there for a while after most the other football fans have gone and the lairy  element has died off.

I’ve never followed England abroad, but the idiot element puts me off a bit. For me, travelling away with football is a chance to see new places and meet new people. I love talking to fans of other clubs over a few pints pre & post game. I’m not sure if following England is so much like that.

Edited by amfy
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, amfy said:

Our accommodation for 10 days in Lisbon last year was only just over £400 and it was lovely. We’ve stayed in Budapest for Sziget & a couple of days either side of the festival at under £300 for 2 years running! Really nice places too! 

I am thinking of going for a shorter time but would quite like to be there for a while after most the other football fans have gone and the lairy  element has died off.

I’ve never followed England abroad, but the idiot element puts me off a bit. For me, travelling away with football is a chance to see new places and meet new people. I love talking to fans of other clubs over a few pints pre & post game. I’m not sure if following England is so much like that.

Yeah I'm planning on trying NOS this year, already have an apartment booked, Sziget on the list of festivals in my head to eventually get around to doing as well.

I've never done it either so I couldn't comment I'm afraid, but that's not what we're looking for either, will no doubt be drinking enough to knock out a baby rhino all three days and quite like seeing crowds of English chanting in a courtyard or whatever but throwing stuff about, smashing up bars and getting into trouble with police/other fans is something we'll be looking to avoid being around. I think because it's essentially a friendly tournament and there's only going to be mainly Dutch, Swiss and Portugese fans there it should be fairly relaxed, hopefully anyway.

21 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

Yeah I'm planning on trying NOS this year, already have an apartment booked, Sziget on the list of festivals in my head to eventually get around to doing as well.

I've never done it either so I couldn't comment I'm afraid, but that's not what we're looking for either, will no doubt be drinking enough to knock out a baby rhino all three days and quite like seeing crowds of English chanting in a courtyard or whatever but throwing stuff about, smashing up bars and getting into trouble with police/other fans is something we'll be looking to avoid being around. I think because it's essentially a friendly tournament and there's only going to be mainly Dutch, Swiss and Portugese fans there it should be fairly relaxed, hopefully anyway.

If you go to NOS in Lisbon get a train pass as the train runs right along the river to loads of different beaches. We ended up spending most days in Caxias which is only a stop or 2 down from the festival - but once the festival was finished our favourite was Santo Amaro - which actually isn’t much further & we wished we’d got to more!

you can only put items in lock ups which you cannot take into the festival so if you have a beach day you need to work out how to travel light because you will be carrying your beach clothes with you to gigs! We got some Dock & Bay towels and it wasn’t too bad.

20 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Porto is a massive city and if you stay in Matosinhos near the festival site you probably won't see any football fans.

I was there for Euro 2004 and and everyone was extremely well behaved.  Porto not the kind of place people make trouble in, even more so as it's not a major tournament.

Struggling to find anything much around there at the moment but it is good to know that the football idiots (as oppose to regular fans) are unlikely to adversely impact.

We watched us go out of the World Cup to Croatia on Lisbon’s big screen last year and the atmosphere was tremendous! It was great to be able to hug Croatian fans and wish them well at the end of the game & it made me feel a little better about our defeat to be able to do this!

Edited by amfy

30 minutes ago, amfy said:

If you go to NOS in Lisbon get a train pass as the train runs right along the river to loads of different beaches. We ended up spending most days in Caxias which is only a stop or 2 down from the festival - but once the festival was finished our favourite was Santo Amaro - which actually isn’t much further & we wished we’d got to more! 

you can only put items in lock ups which you cannot take into the festival so if you have a beach day you need to work out how to travel light because you will be carrying your beach clothes with you to gigs! We got some Dock & Bay towels and it wasn’t too bad.

Great, thanks! Will definitely bear that in mind and look into it once we know we're definitely going... if they ever release the line up that is :)