The 1975 2020

Mash011

1 minute ago, Mash011 said:

Will, you have to understand this, bops and bangers are different. There are bop bands and there are banger bands. 75 are a bop band.

Can a banger band write a bop? And vice versa? And can either write a tune?

I miss being young, I really do.

Just now, Quark said:

Can a banger band write a bop? And vice versa? And can either write a tune?

I miss being young, I really do.

Sure, The 1975 have produced a couple of bangers in their time. Love It When We Made It certainly isn't a bop, so it might fall more into the banger category.

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

A-Punk came on in the SU pub in freshers week and I strictly remember my housemate saying "what a tune".

Well tune is more ambiguous, isn't it? It doesn't tell you much about the qualities of a song other than it being good. Bops and bangers can both be be tunes, but it's very rare for a song to be both a bop and a banger.

I got seven thumb down reacts (a new record!) for posting my blazing hot take in a group chat so I'm bringing it out here:

The most surprising thing about the new 1975 record is not that they manage to make themselves into The Radiohead Of Today, but that they manage to do that while simultaneously being The My Chemical Romance Of Today. And though they will forever beguile the gammons and chin-scratchers, it's their ability to be both of those things at once that makes them such a vital band.

Edited by Mash011
  • Downvote 13

2 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

I got seven thumb down reacts (a new record!) for posting my blazing hot take in a group chat so I'm bringing it out here:

The most surprising thing about the new 1975 record is not that they manage to make themselves into The Radiohead Of Today, but that they manage to do that while simultaneously being The My Chemical Romance Of Today. And though they will forever beguile the gammons and chin-scratchers, it's their ability to be both of those things at once that makes them such a vital band.

On the ale already Mash mate?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

I'm going to hold my judgement until I've finished the album, as people keep coming and interrupting me with work. But based on what I've heard so far, history will not be looking favourably upon your analysis.