The 1975 2020

Mash011

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Maybe I’m weird and everyone is doing this then. Just I’m so far behind with albums from acts that I do like that I dunno how I could jump in on acts that I don’t just to confirm that I still don’t like them. I like Drake a bit but definitely not an instant listen.

Well I have to check the album out otherwise I havent really got a reason for not liking the band/artist. 

by checking an album out do you mean actually sitting there from the start to end. Do you not sometimes skip some songs you’re just not feeling? I don’t always sit through the entire thing before forming an opinion.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Well I have to check the album out otherwise I havent really got a reason for not liking the band/artist. 

by checking an album out do you mean actually sitting there from the start to end. Do you not sometimes skip some songs you’re just not feeling? I don’t always sit through the entire thing before forming an opinion.

No I’ll usually listen to an album two or three times before dishing an opinion out. And if it’s a premature opinion I’ll usually mention that much.

I’ve never listened to a Catfish and the Bottlemen album in full but I still feel qualified to say that they are dog shit.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

I'm not a fan of the band, but as a music fan I'll make a point to give any new release a listen. Particularly something from a band with a lot of hype around them. 

I think I’m just a boomer not keeping up with the culture

Edited by dentalplan

I take the approach that if something doesn’t hook me in I won’t really bother with it. I take a glance over various stuff and I give them an opportunity to “sell themselves”, but if they don’t hook me I’l move on quickly.

I'll listen to maybe 1 or two songs that have hype even behind an act I'm not majorly into but there is certainly artists that full albums listens I won't do so with.

I'm unsure why you would listen to an album from an artist you don't like. A bands music that you've never been interested in is different as the approach might chance but I'm not going to go to stand watching music anymore by someone I dislike.

I've listened to noacf about 8 times or so now in full all the way thru. I really like it! I enjoy the instrumentals, I wouldn't say they were filler. I think it all flows nicely to say there's so much going on and so many different styles. I'm enjoying it, I don't think it's easy  listening for anyone who isn't really that interested in listening to it if that makes sense?? 

I also really like the mindshower thing, I think its cool they did that with all the samples and pics etc :)  

melon is right here.

This is why the album is just nothing to me. it's a mix of different ideas which don't join up, and it's probably because they know their fans will make online theories about the album to try and make it all make sense. 

There is a good album hidden in here if a lot was just cut out. However they have got some good stuff, this album is just a bit too much.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

melon is right here.

This is why the album is just nothing to me. it's a mix of different ideas which don't join up, and it's probably because they know their fans will make online theories about the album to try and make it all make sense. 

There is a good album hidden in here if a lot was just cut out. However they have got some good stuff, this album is just a bit too much.

Is that you Matt, your YouTube channel?

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Omg imagine if I was melon

i was agreeing with his review

I know, that would be sensational. I agree with the review, meh album, has great songs mixed with some bad fillers. All sounds recorded from different studios. Doesnt work together but has glimpses of class.

It was my first 1975 album and I honestly quite enjoyed it. Lots of great tracks, but as an album there were were two main problems for me.

1) the ordering was all over the place. Who thought a Greta monologue into People into a Orchestral instrumental was a good idea

2) too many repeats of the same idea. They nailed it with People imo, just 1 taste of that heavier style and thats all you get for the whole album. Come back to it on its own project, but for this kinda "selection box" take on an album just shoot your best shot at that style and move on

I really need to get around to going over their back catalogue at some point. I've also attempted to cut it down + restructure it to something that I would come back to.

1. Guys

2. Me & You Together Song

3. People

4. Then Because She Goes

5. Nothing Revealed / Everything Denied

6. Jesus Christ 2005 God Bless America

7. Frail State Of Mind

8. I Think There's Something You Should Know

9. What Should I Say

10. If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know)

Edited by Mattymooz

18 hours ago, Chawk said:

The audacity to have a speech about the climate emergency to open the album. After going on a world tour. Not just that, but then play that track as the encore at those concerts. 

Unbelievable. 

Mans literally existence on the planet damages the climate.

Maybe the large corporations with a poor carbon footprint are more worthwhile to target.

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Mans literally existence on the planet damages the climate.

Maybe the large corporations with a poor carbon footprint are more worthwhile to target.

aye, it just doesn't sit right with me playing that message to their fans when 99% of fans will have a much lower carbon footprint than the band themselves. 

Extinction Rebellion and Greta Thurnburg advocate a pretty purist approach of just not flying unless it's an emergency, the band definitely aren't doing that. If they believed in the message, why are they flying to Australia, the USA etc. They are telling their fans to live by a rule that they don't.

Edited by Chawk
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Matt42 said:

who do you think those large corporations are making product for...? ;) 

1 hour ago, syc1818 said:

pic

My first post in this topic definitely could have been better worded so this is fair criticism, but it's not what I'm suggesting-  absolutely it's OK to encourage improving society whilst still participating in it. 

But the level of that encouragement and the level of your carbon footprint is what matters. If you make massive environmental statements to people, I think that you should have also lowered your carbon footprint as much as you can. The 1975 agree I think, by having statements like this in the opening track

"The main solution, however, is so simple that even a small child can understand it
We have to stop our emissions of greenhouse gases
And either we do that, or we don't"

So, as they have said on their own album, the single biggest impact they could have is to stop emitting green house gases, by stopping flying for example.

I don't think it's right to play the above statement to your fans, when your band has just flown to Australia. We've seen with carbon credits that carbon mitigation is inefficient, they best way to reduce your impact is to reduce carbon at the source. Whilst tree planting is great, it's miles better to not release the carbon in the first place.

(just to say I'm not anti environmental. I work in conservation including for tree planting charities) 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 6 months later...