The 1975 2020

Mash011

30 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Why “now”? What happened?

Because it’s pretty clear now that they have a solid following and every album has been bigger than the last. I should expect that all the sceptics haven’t really got much of a leg to stand on anymore.

Then again I’ve thought for a while the sceptics are probably just people who don’t like them.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Guys don’t be retroactive here. For a while a lot of people on efestivals thought they could still headline the other stage.

Tbf the only reason they were being touted for the Other Stage so much this year is because of Emily’s ‘Pyramid sized’ comments. Only somebody dumb would think they’re anything other than a Pyramid headliner in a normal year and have been since their last album. 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

For a while a lot of people on efestivals thought they could still headline the other stage.

That is indeed true, but just because a lot of people on here doubted whether they were big enough doesn't mean they weren't big enough.

They were already easily big enough to headline before this album on pretty much every criteria

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hmmmm.  I've got no beef with them, but they're due to play a small show in Edinburgh in August - 3000 tickets - and it's still on sale. Coronavirus aside, they're selling roughly as many tickets as Michael Kiwanuka and McFly.

I think they’ve just really overdone it in Scotland recently. In the last few years they’ve played The Hydro twice, Glasgow Summer Sessions and Aberdeen with largely the same material. I think they’re definitely big enough to headline but they are a bit smaller than most of the recent headliners.

49 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Because it’s pretty clear now that they have a solid following and every album has been bigger than the last. I should expect that all the sceptics haven’t really got much of a leg to stand on anymore.

Then again I’ve thought for a while the sceptics are probably just people who don’t like them.

It’s perhaps too early to say either way but I’m thinking this album is not bigger than the last. None of the singles (and there were many) arrived with as much hype as Brief Inquiry or ILIWYS hits. The arena tour wasn’t a step up and Finsbury didn’t sell out. The album is getting mixed reviews, even more so than ILIWYS. They’ve not dropped but plateaued.

I think they’re big enough to headline and thought they would be before the previous album but if they still needed an album for the crown then this is not it. But they didn’t so

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Aye their highest charting single this, and rightfully so. 

I wouldn’t say it’s a bigger hit than what they’ve brought out previously though. Like Paranoid Android is Radiohead’s highest charting single. Is it their biggest song? Top five? Top 10 maybe.

It’s a useless, unquantifiable metric but is anyone feeling as bombarded with stuff about The 1975 as they were on the past two albums? Definitely not seeing them having stepped up to another level on this one, except quality-wise. Give it a few months and everyone will be suggesting this album was a misstep and pretending this never happened.

ANTIQUING < keyword so I can easily find it on search when I prove myself right.

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I wouldn’t say it’s a bigger hit than what they’ve brought out previously though. Like Paranoid Android is Radiohead’s highest charting single. Is it their biggest song? Top five? Top 10 maybe.

I think it is one of their biggest songs now and will be looked back on as big as the big songs from the last albums.

26 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It’s a useless, unquantifiable metric but is anyone feeling as bombarded with stuff about The 1975 as they were on the past two albums? Definitely not seeing them having stepped up to another level on this one, except quality-wise. Give it a few months and everyone will be suggesting this album was a misstep and pretending this never happened.

ANTIQUING < keyword so I can easily find it on search when I prove myself right.

They’re in a bit of a weird position as a big percentage of the audience they’re now seemingly targeting (e.g. not just teenage girls) already dislikes them because of their initial entrance on the scene, but I’m also sure their new sprawling, divisive and at odds with itself approach to albums has put off a lot of their initial audience.

I agree that the new album will probably be seen as a bit of an odd blip in their discography, but I also think they could easily still reach new heights along the way. I mean, as far as new ‘rock’ acts go they’re pretty alone in reaching the level they have in recent years, are clearly still brimming with new ideas/material, and they’re still talked about often with new material being highly anticipated, albeit often in a negative light as much as positive. 

edit: had a bevvy so sorry if this is just rambling nonsense.

Edited by FloorFiller

I actually like 2 tracks on this album which is a first for the 1975 and me. But they need an adult in the studio to reign them in a bit. They haven’t got the musical chops to experiment this wildly and pull it off. If they headlined I’d probably go see the start at least out of curiosity. 

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Find it amazing how so many people who don’t like them will listen to their full 80 minute album on the day of release or before.

Erm. Not the best logic. 

I’m not a fan of drake but every time he drops an album it’s an event and I’m going to listen to it. Even if I don’t like it.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Erm. Not the best logic. 

I’m not a fan of drake but every time he drops an album it’s an event and I’m going to listen to it. Even if I don’t like it.

Maybe I’m weird and everyone is doing this then. Just I’m so far behind with albums from acts that I do like that I dunno how I could jump in on acts that I don’t just to confirm that I still don’t like them. I like Drake a bit but definitely not an instant listen.

• Upvote 1