The 1975 2020

Mash011

10 hours ago, StevieGed said:

From the videos I’ve seen he doesn’t look as energetic as usual, but suppose that’s due to the liveliness of him on stage anyway so you hold him to his own standards.

Hard to not think a slight bit of burnout is creeping in. Toured all of last year all over the world and in the meantime tried to finish the next album off for it only to be pushed back, whilst in the middle of beginning another tour, pretty much exactly 12 months on from the Brief Inquiry tour. I know it’s touted as music for cars but I’d have guessed their plan was new album new tour. 

I also feel like some of their singles lately have been rushed out to accommodate to the new tour. As what’s the major selling point of a brand new tour without much new music.

Think you're right about the singles. The tour was essentially meant to be for the new album but then it got pushed back. I wonder if they will tour again once the record is out? It would seem pointless having toured so soon.

Matty seemed in great spirits in Cardiff. Dancing about really enjoying himself. Seen similar comments though for the London dates about him being less energetic.

I think it was good putting Sex upfront. Band's always seem to fall in to a loop of playing the same songs in the same order on the setlist. Was great to switch it up a bit.

1 hour ago, D-Low said:

Think you're right about the singles. The tour was essentially meant to be for the new album but then it got pushed back. I wonder if they will tour again once the record is out? It would seem pointless having toured so soon.

Matty seemed in great spirits in Cardiff. Dancing about really enjoying himself. Seen similar comments though for the London dates about him being less energetic.

I think it was good putting Sex upfront. Band's always seem to fall in to a loop of playing the same songs in the same order on the setlist. Was great to switch it up a bit.

I figure the summer show at Finsbury and any other fests they're doing will be the big show off for the new album. Can't see another arena tour coming around again so soon.

Went and saw them in Birmingham on Tuesday night, and I thought they were great, some songs I wanted that didn't get played, by the inclusion of Be My Mistake, and telling everyone to put their phones away for it was amazing, felt all the new songs had their place in the setlist except maybe Frail State Of Mind, which I assume will be dropped down the line. The opening 2 songs and the whole of the encore were crazy and a lot more lively than I was expecting  (That's not me complaining I loved it), only saw them once before at Reading last year when I didn't know as much, so it was good to enjoy all songs this time even though Reading was the better show

Catching them last night makes you realise how many songs they have in their arsenal now to choose from.

Completely dropping Girls and a Change of Heart from the setlist. The City also one of the first singles along with She Way Out, Settle Down etc. Don’t ever seem to make their way into the set. 

She’s American and If I believe you also which were 2 I really enjoyed live. I also really like their experimental stuff, so glad to see lostmyhead in there but would really love Anobrain/ILIWYS come back in.

Appreciate I couldn’t be more in love finding it’s way in there a lot, although Mine could be my most listened to from A Brief Inquiry which I’d love to see in there. 

But I do really miss Medicine. Highlight of their last set seeing them live.

4 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Just had a look and they've actually been touring for so long and are about to release an album which means another tour?? They should take a break for a few months thats nuts.

Could just be because he was on crutches last night but I thought he just looked so exhausted! Still pulled off a great gig!

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

NOACF on 22nd May and new song out this Friday :) 

I know a few of you in here have tickets for Finsbury, do we think it will end up being cancelled? I know nobody really knows for definite but just wondered what you thought?

BST is apparently being cancelled this week so yeah as its the same weekend and both in London. 

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, tobydlb said:

Anyone who's heard the notes leak, what are your thoughts?

Not heard it yet, but seems to be getting more mixed reviews than their last one, and although no doubt an exaggeration, this early review has given it a pretty hard time https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/reviews/albums/the-1975-notes-on-a-conditional-form-album-review

19 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Not heard it yet, but seems to be getting more mixed reviews than their last one, and although no doubt an exaggeration, this early review has given it a pretty hard time https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/reviews/albums/the-1975-notes-on-a-conditional-form-album-review

I’m a big fan of The 1975 in general, but just listened through the album and other than a couple pre-released single there really isn’t any highlights.

On top of that, a massive part of the album feels like filler songs

I've given it a listen. I really like it, I'm not that good with reviewing albums so I'll let this review share my opinions as I agree with pretty much everything they say:

https://www.readdork.com/reviews/the-1975-notes-on-a-conditional-form

They give it a 10/10. I'd probably go 9/10.

I feel like it's definitely a grower. I think a lot of the tracks you need to listen to in context and your feelings towards them will develop over time.

• Upvote 1

Really disappointed with it but I was with most of the singles as well. 'People' and 'If You're Too Shy' are the clear stand-outs but I'd struggle to pick one of the non-released ones that wasn't complete filler.

'What Should I Say' is probably my favourite of the rest but the whole thing is terrible in my opinion. Maybe I'll grow into it.

Edited by mttJ

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Like the last album, I've pretty much forgotten every song an hour after listening to it, so much filler.

If you don't like this album or the last album and can't remember any songs maybe you don't like the band...

Edited by Miyn

When the first three tracks on your 80!! minute album are:

1) 5mins of Greta talking

2) a punky-rock song not in keeping with the rest of the album at all

3) overlong orchestrated interlude...

...you’re almost certainly trying to put off bystanders on purpose. 

I liked the last one; but this is haaaarddd work.

I really liked me you together song, is there anything else like that on the album?

I’m not surprised this album is mixed. I think the band are trying to do too much at the moment. You can tell they committed to a double album before really thinking it through. 

Edited by Matt42

5 hours ago, Miyn said:

I feel like it's definitely a grower. I think a lot of the tracks you need to listen to in context and your feelings towards them will develop over time.

I find a lot of their stuff is like this - a lot of my favourites are tracks that I initially wasn't so keen on.  I am halfway through the new album as I type and feel this one will be exactly the same, but even still I am really liking it so far which bodes well.

Edited by circus92