The 1975 2020

Mash011

3 hours ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

Aw I've got tickets.. What's wrong with the venue? 

We went in '18 for LG and QOTSA the queues were a nightmare and it was quite badly organised.

But it's not stopped me, I've tickets for Finsbury for The 1975 hopefully will be better for this one :) 

2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Saw them last night and honestly thought they were phenomenal. The Greta speech seemed perfectly placed in the set. 
Gutted they’ve had to drop some of their older songs but something has to give when they’re releasing new songs so frequently.

Also they are 100% ready to headline the Pyramid without a doubt.

I am a little bit jealous - I believe they played "Undo" and "Me"?

2 of my absolute favourites that they hardly ever play anymore.

Hey 

I’ve started seeing someone, and she’s a colossal 1975 fan - now it’s not my thing (I mean really - it’s very far from my thing 🤣) but im giving it a bash and trying not to be cynical, and first thoughts are actually that they’re nowhere near as dreadful as I’d assumed they were. In fact, I almost like a couple of their songs. 
but this is off topic: I’m gonna get tickets to the Finsbury Park gig for her birthday. What’s it like as a venue? Do I pretty much have to get the VIP tickets cos of golden circle shit happening? Are they decent live? I normally go to metal gigs, I’m a bit of a fish out of water here! I might make a playlist of their gig setlists and try to mug up on em a bit. It’s very different to Cattle Decapitation. 

34 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Hey 

I’ve started seeing someone, and she’s a colossal 1975 fan - now it’s not my thing (I mean really - it’s very far from my thing 🤣) but im giving it a bash and trying not to be cynical, and first thoughts are actually that they’re nowhere near as dreadful as I’d assumed they were. In fact, I almost like a couple of their songs. 
but this is off topic: I’m gonna get tickets to the Finsbury Park gig for her birthday. What’s it like as a venue? Do I pretty much have to get the VIP tickets cos of golden circle shit happening? Are they decent live? I normally go to metal gigs, I’m a bit of a fish out of water here! I might make a playlist of their gig setlists and try to mug up on em a bit. It’s very different to Cattle Decapitation. 

Do you have Spotify? The “This is...” playlists are a good way to get an insight into a band.

This is The 1975 is a very good playlist!

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Hey 

They are BRILLIANT live!! My boyfriend wasn't into them but he's taken me to maybe 5/6 The 1975 gigs and we're going to Finsbury. He likes them now! I'd tried to get him to listen to them before the first gig he came to and he wasn't bothered, but after seeing them live he changed his mind!

As for the venue, when we were there in 2018 (twice - LG & QOTSA) the bar queues were a NIGHTMARE but you could take in a water bottle (empty I think or sealed) and fill it up so that was ok!

But that was 2 years ago, it might be better this time! There were plenty of loos and from what I remember the sound was fine!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Saw them last night and honestly thought they were phenomenal. The Greta speech seemed perfectly placed in the set. 
Gutted they’ve had to drop some of their older songs but something has to give when they’re releasing new songs so frequently.

Also they are 100% ready to headline the Pyramid without a doubt.

Was gutted they dropped Milk but they did keep Menswear on and we got Me (which is one of my favourites) and Undo which were great! As you say, with so many new songs it's impossible to keep everything on there but overall I loved the set-list last night. The new songs sound good too. We arrived fairly early but ended up staying in one of the bars upstairs and came down about 20 minutes before they came on and still managed to get fairly near the front.

Enjoyed the show so much I've splashed out on London tickets as I've found a cheap enough hotel not far from Finsbury Park.

I can't believe they removed Milk from the setlist, fingers crossed it makes it back in for Manchester. I mean "Me" is an amazing song and is in my top 5. But Milk. I cannot compromise on Milk. 

This is based off setlist.fm, I'm really hoping someone made an error. @DareToDibble care to be the bearer of good or bad news? 

Edited by Miyn

5 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Hey 

Their Full Reading set from the summer is on YouTube. Get that on one night and have a watch, I think they smashed it and I’ve seen them quite a few times - so it’ll be a good idea to see the kind of energy they bring live.

Their stage set up is up their with the best I’ve seen. Albeit it is a shame that this set up is the same as last years tour, as I enjoyed the progression from the rectangles behind them to bigger and better each tour from around the time they released their first self titled album. I was eager to see what new design they were bringing, but still looks great so can’t complain. 

They’ve got a great mixed bag of music. The music for cars mantra they have rings true, some of their music is great for those late night drives; You, Me, Medicine, Robbers, Somebody Else, Mine (doesn’t get enough love for me!), Be My Mistake, Undo, Facedown etc. Whilst also some great pop bangers Love Me, UGH, Heart Out, She Way Out, Love it if we Made it, Girls, Paris, The Sound.

Funnily enough when a friend of mine tried to introduce me to them years back I immediately thought no chance these will be my kind of thing. But over time they’ve become to be one of my favourite bands. 

Get yourself prepped and you’ll have a great time at Finsbury!

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Miyn said:

I can't believe they removed Milk from the setlist, fingers crossed it makes it back in for Manchester. I mean "Me" is an amazing song and is in my top 5. But Milk. I cannot compromise on Milk. 

This is based off setlist.fm, I'm really hoping someone made an error. @DareToDibble care to be the bearer of good or bad news? 

Afraid so son.

IMG_20200224_181149.jpg

52 minutes ago, Miyn said:

It was gone last night. Played Undo and Me instead. Could very well be back for Manchester though.

59 minutes ago, Miyn said:

As others have said I'm afraid so! It appears they are chopping and changing the setlist a bit so you never know for Manchester though.

I  was always under the impressions band played with a specific setlist when on tour - is this a common thing?

19 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Hey 

The lengths some people will go to for a leg over.... 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tuna said:

Not necessarily true, promoters do this a lot

And then sometimes it's labels or posh kids paying to get the support slot.

I always watch the support bands. I saw Beebadoobee in the Castle and Falcon last december. She was good there but I'm curious to see how the music will fill an arena.

On 2/24/2020 at 12:22 PM, balti-pie said:

Hey 

Like you I wasn’t really a big fan until a year ago.  Liked some of their stuff but hadn’t really given them much of a chance.  Was in London for business last January and saw they were playing The O2 on the Friday night - got a last minute ticket and went to see what they were about.  Absolutely loved it - they put on a cracking show and the energy is really good.  I am now a huge fan - went to see them at Reading, and again last Friday at The O2.  The thing that amazed me even more is the amount of really good material they have that doesn’t even get played live anymore.

Not sure how you will take to them being a metal fan, but give them a go - you could be surprised!

Absolutely love this live -

Also check out the Reading show from last August as the setlist will be roughly similar at Finsbury - it is still on YouTube

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, circus92 said:

Agree with that. 

Reading  > Last Years Tour > This Years Tour

Still a good show though

2 hours ago, Padjeq said:

Good show last night, although not great. Matty wasn't as up as he was this time last year. Seemed a bit sad, or blotto. Putting Sex at the start was weird and felt wrong, like you need the foreplay of the whole set to take you there.

From the videos I’ve seen he doesn’t look as energetic as usual, but suppose that’s due to the liveliness of him on stage anyway so you hold him to his own standards.

Hard to not think a slight bit of burnout is creeping in. Toured all of last year all over the world and in the meantime tried to finish the next album off for it only to be pushed back, whilst in the middle of beginning another tour, pretty much exactly 12 months on from the Brief Inquiry tour. I know it’s touted as music for cars but I’d have guessed their plan was new album new tour. 

I also feel like some of their singles lately have been rushed out to accommodate to the new tour. As what’s the major selling point of a brand new tour without much new music. 

I did see on Twitter that Matty had said after Notes they were taking a break from touring but still releasing music. Maybe a break is needed.