The 1975 2020

Mash011

8 hours ago, ModBoy said:

Overall what are people thinking of the songs we have heard so far from NOACF?

People

Frail State Of Mind

You And Me Together Song

The Birthday Party

If You're Too Shy Let Me Know

Guys

People - not my thing but can definitely appreciate it 
Frail State of Mind - bit of a throwaway, easy listen but not something I’m excited to see be on the album or setlist 

You and Me Together Song - like it, but not sure I’d be made up to see Notes with too many songs like this on

The Birthday Party - listened when it first came out on Apple and didn’t take to it at all. Few more listens in the evening driving home from work its grew on me a lot. Definitely my favourite of the singles so far.

If You're Too Shy Let Me Know - sounds better and more radio friendly than all of the other singles from what I’ve heard. Catchy and the sax sounds great in the chorus. Can see this doing well.

Guys - haven’t heard enough as of yet.

So far nothing has grabbed me enough the way somebody else or love it if we made it had for the last two albums - looks like there should be enough on there to look forward to though being 22 tracks in length. 

17 hours ago, D-Low said:

I've never understood fans obsession with queueing so early for any 1975 show. They camp the night before in freezing temps. It's madness. Most of these arena venues do top up tickets for a couple of extra quid where you can queue jump and enjoy drinks before the show so it seems completely pointless.

Plus if I wanted to get front row I probably could or thereabouts without being rude and shoving my way through.

Getting to the front is only part of it. A lot of it is about proving their commitment to the band and improving their perceived standing in the fandom. Funnily enough, yesterday on twitter these exact early bird fans were telling Matty off for not helping them queue better.

30 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

Getting to the front is only part of it. A lot of it is about proving their commitment to the band and improving their perceived standing in the fandom. Funnily enough, yesterday on twitter these exact early bird fans were telling Matty off for not helping them queue better.

Does the band acknowledge and encourage this behaviour? Or is it something they’d rather discourage?

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Does the band acknowledge and encourage this behaviour? Or is it something they’d rather discourage?

No idea for The 1975, but by the sound of it it's not so dissimilar a situation to fans queuing up for days for the likes of Brooooooose or Pearl Jam, who do seem to endorse it.

1 hour ago, Padjeq said:

I did see those Tweets ha. They're fans are crazy obsessive. Click on any of Matty's tweets and you'll see the same 10 names at the top every single time. Not even sure how they function day to day.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

As far as I know they discourage it. Matty's been on Twitter a number of times in the past telling fans not to do it.

1067344660430012419?s=20https://twitter.com/Truman_Black/status/1067344660430012419?s=20

Edited by D-Low

2 hours ago, Padjeq said:

Jesus christ. I hope there's not too many of these idiots at glasto

7 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Funnily enough, yesterday on twitter these exact early bird fans were telling Matty off for not helping them queue better.

7 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Jesus christ. I hope there's not too many of these idiots at glasto

What the fans were referring to was the fact that they had to be "evacuated" from the building for an unknown reason, twice. The order of people got pretty messed up, due to some people staying in the building, and some leaving. There was also numerous shenanigans such as someone claiming to have "O2 Priority Standing" when the O2 replied to someone and said there was no priority standing.

Matty was obviously oblivious to this situation, which explains his tweet:

Friday night in The O2 – what an amazing night!  On this occasion I was seated, but from the start to the finish didn’t sit down once and nor did anyone else from what I could see – the atmosphere was fantastic and didn’t let up at all.

I realise they are never going to be popular with the hipsters for various reasons, but as a live act, I personally think they are hard to beat at the minute.  The visuals are incredible, they have so many cracking tunes and just basically put on a fantastic live show.  I have seen a lot of gigs over the last 12 months, and honestly, I would put these guys at the top of the lot.

I just think it is really unfortunate the way things have worked out with Glasto this year, as I think they are easily ready to headline right at this moment, and would have been a perfect Friday night headliner.

On flight home from London now, will post a brief review later for anyone interested 

I really don’t understand the fascination of getting there a few hours early let alone the night before. Go for some drinks, relax and go in just before the headline act starts (at a gig) seems the logical thing to do personally.

it is a fandom thing and I don’t understand it. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

I really don’t understand the fascination of getting there a few hours early let alone the night before. Go for some drinks, relax and go in just before the headline act starts (at a gig) seems the logical thing to do personally.

Pretty much agree, but I always like to catch the support act so always turn up about 15 mins before that.  Any earlier is a waste of time in my opinion

For anyone who is interested in The 1975 or is going to any of the remaining dates on the tour, I thought I would post a brief review from Friday night at The O2.

As always with The O2 I started off cursing the sound quality as I am never that impressed with it, but once the show got into its flow that soon become forgotten about.

At the Foo Fighters in Belfast last summer I can remember thinking Dave Grohl waffled on between tracks way too much which got pretty boring at times.  This gig was the complete opposite - I couldn’t help noticing how Matty interacted noticeably less than normal – too little for my liking! There’s just no pleasing some people lol.  The flipside is they managed to squeeze in 24 tracks in about 1hr 50 mins 

The setlist is roughly similar to last years tour, except for the fact they have brought in 6 new tracks from the upcoming album and switched a few notable positions around. Naturally that has also required some real favourites to be dropped - I was disappointed Loving Someone and Ballad Of Me And My Brain have been dropped, but I suppose something has to go.

The most notable switch was Sex being moved from its normal position as the penultimate song, to the second song straight after People.  This 2 song opening was incredible and the place was rocking right from the get go.  I was a bit disappointed that Give Yourself A Try was the one that was moved to the penultimate position and was not sure how well it would work there – I shouldn’t have worried as it ended up being one of the highlights of the night for me – an inspired decision.  It was one of those instances where a song just suddenly makes sense in a live environment and you suddenly get it.

Now to the New songs which I was hearing live for the first time.

People – Never really listen to it any other time, but great live and awesome set opener

Me & You Together Song - pretty good - catchy enough if a bit repetitive and throwaway

If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know) – this is the one that has got everyone talking and wishing it had been the new single.  Very catchy and poppy (with the trademark Sax Solo!)– but it actually sounded really good live and had the place bouncing.  Liked it a lot even though it is a bit naff.

Frail State of Mind - Not my favourite, but like it.  Don’t think it will become a mainstay of their set at all.

The Birthday Party - One of those examples of how some songs work better live and some don’t.  It was my favourite of the new material before the gig, and I still really like it, but it just didn’t grab me live like some of the others did.  It has a bit more chilled vibe.

Guys – this one was pleasant enough and enjoyed it on the night because I was having such a good time, but in the cold light of day it does worry me a little about their direction and probably gives more ammunition to the naysayers

One of the things I love about The 1975 is the variety in their music, from heavy guitar driven bangers, to electro, jazz, funk and straight up pop.  So far the new tracks are just leaning a little bit too much to the cheesy pop side for my liking. Really hoping there is another few bangers like “Love It If We Made It” lurking on the new album as to me that is what they do best.

The rest of the show was all similar stuff to their last tour. 

They also played the Greta Thunberg Speech which had everyone really quiet for about 5 minutes before they launched into the encore.

Highlights for me –

1) Favourite Run – Robbers / fallingforyou / Milk / Lostmyhead

2) Amazing Encore - Love It If We Made It / Chocolate / Give Yourself a Try / The Sound

3) I Always Wanna Die (Sometimes) sounded absolutely fantastic to close out the main set

All in all, a great show with a fantastic atmosphere and non-stop energy.

Anyone going this week – you will have an amazing time – they never disappoint 😁

(review wasn't as brief as I originally intended - had a few hours to kill sitting around the airport!)

Edited by circus92
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

On 2/22/2020 at 5:27 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

No idea for The 1975, but by the sound of it it's not so dissimilar a situation to fans queuing up for days for the likes of Brooooooose or Pearl Jam, who do seem to endorse it.

U2 is even worse than those. The Joshua Tree 30th tour had people setting up a queue a few days days early where you went and got a number. ( all unofficial mind you ) then to return the morning of the gig date and get into your respective positions and queue at the stadium when allowed.

the 1975 dont care what happens with those kids that wait out in the streets for days on out. Venue operators and promoters have had to sort it all out themselves. U.s venues On this current tour have given fair warning that there would zero queing or pre queing allowed a week before respective gig dates and that local police would give out citations for loitering and trespassing if it wasnt obeyed. 

as a long time Radiohead Fan and being very familiar with queing overnight for their gigs its gotten much more civil over the years because its only been the same people who do it so everyone knows how it will go. Very few new people really bother with trying to think they would get to a gig earlier than the small group of attendees that go to a lot of their gigs over here. 

lets be grateful that the current batch of K Pop acts do not have standing for their gigs. It would probably result in deaths.

if you wanted to see the most extreme case of this, look no further than Lady Gaga’s tour for Art Pop when she was going to play stadiums. There was a standing section for those dates and the thing that set off her fanbase was that the first person in the queue at any date was to be handed a Key by Gaga herself to signal that they may enter the “Little Monster Pit”. So after tickets were secured people started to camp and queue out of venues weeks at a time to ensure they were first. Taking shifts with friends to keep that first spot, missing school and work and such along with it. Just to have that small recognition of being first.

6 hours ago, Suprefan said:

U2 is even worse than those. The Joshua Tree 30th tour had people setting up a queue a few days days early where you went and got a number. ( all unofficial mind you ) then to return the morning of the gig date and get into your respective positions and queue at the stadium when allowed.

This is how it happens for Springsteen in Europe.

8 hours ago, Balls said:

Missed this tour cos it felt like it was just gonna be a repeat of last year's o2 show with a few new tracks. Definitely gonna be at the Finsbury show though - rubbish venue but love the lineup they've got with them. 

Aw I've got tickets.. What's wrong with the venue? 

Saw them last night and honestly thought they were phenomenal. The Greta speech seemed perfectly placed in the set. 
Gutted they’ve had to drop some of their older songs but something has to give when they’re releasing new songs so frequently.

Also they are 100% ready to headline the Pyramid without a doubt.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Nah, screw that, support the support acts. You never know what you might find.