The 1975 2020

Mash011

2 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

If there's something in the way the music industry, background booking processes that is skewing the balance that's what needs solving.

The music industry has historically promoted all-male bands because they have been easier to market to men and women alike. This perpetuates playing music in a band as more of a male thing because people just don't see as many women up on those stages, so there are more of them when there's no earthly reason for there to be.

To break this cycle, the festivals - a massive and influential part of the industry - should start by filling their lineups with acts with a female presence. People say about booking 'the best bands' or whatever but if it's well low down the lineup then why does it matter? And then it gives them the opportunity to grow into bigger bands taking higher slots and convincing girls that it is something to pursue.

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Well, no it's not really woke crap.  That's just taking what the guy's saying to an extreme point. 

Acts shouldn't be getting booked because they are women any more than acts should be getting booked because they're men or black or gay or whatever. But when you look at the split of the big festivals like Reading or TRNSMT, the massive weighting in favour of male bands doesn't reflect the quality.  There are female / female led / female heavy bands out there that are just as good if not better, but they are under represented.

As in all things, it's about a bit of balance. It's doesn't have to e an extreme of "everything must be 50/50" but to look for something better than the massive sausage fest we largely see at the moment doesn't mean it's "woke crap" either.

I miss nuance.

It is rly funny how much the merit argument falls apart when you look at the insipid dog shit being made by most of the blokes on the reading lineup

It's not even like we're talking about booking shite female acts just to fill a quota of as a gesture. Most of the best music out there right now is being created and/or performed by women yet RandL/TRNSMT still put out lineups like that. At this point if you booked a festival purely on merit you'd absolutely have 50% women, if not higher, not be struggling to get any on your main stages.

Just now, jparx said:

It's not even like we're talking about booking shite female acts just to fill a quota of as a gesture. Most of the best music out there right now is being created and/or performed by women yet RandL/TRNSMT still put out lineups like that. At this point if you booked a festival purely on merit you'd absolutely have 50% women, if not higher, not be struggling to get any on your main stages.

Well, a lot of it is stuff that isn't best suited to R+L or TRNSMT; Julia Jacklin or Sharon Van Etten aren't gonna show up there. I was giving a specific suggestion about those festivals being places where young bands thrive.

On 2/18/2020 at 2:25 PM, StevieGed said:

A friend caught them the other night in Leeds and said they were blob on once again. Set list chopped up quite a bit and a few new songs were played. 

She said they played Sex at the beginning of the set which is a surprise!

I saw them in Nottingham, definitely wasn’t ready for People and then Sex but they were brilliant. They didn’t play Girls which surprised me. 

4 hours ago, Balls said:

I guess they compensated for the boring song with this excessively deranged video, fair enough

I actually also thought it was boring on first listen on way home from work in car.  A few more listens and love it now - think it’s my favourite of their new material so far.

Agree on the video - bonkers!

Seeing them in the O2 Friday night - can’t wait 😁

On 2/18/2020 at 2:18 PM, ghostdancer1 said:

e: noticed the UK dates on the irish ticketmaster site too, plenty of tickets available for most dates, only Cardiff sold out it seems.

A lot of that can be put down to the fact the Motorpoint Arena here is crap. 
Apparently we’re going to be building a new arena, almost like a mini o2 with loads of restaurants/bars surrounding it which I think is the right call.

For a big city our arena is tiny. We need somewhere between Motorpoint (5,000) and Principality Stadium (74,500) in capacity.

28 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

A lot of that can be put down to the fact the Motorpoint Arena here is crap. 
Apparently we’re going to be building a new arena, almost like a mini o2 with loads of restaurants/bars surrounding it which I think is the right call.

For a big city our arena is tiny. We need somewhere between Motorpoint (5,000) and Principality Stadium (74,500) in capacity.

Even when the new arena is built, we still need venues with circa 3K - 5K cap so hopefully they replace the Motorpoint with an Academy sized venue. 

I'm seeing them on Tuesday for the first time since their Williams Green set in either 2013 or 2014 where someone threw a can at Matty and the band jumped into the crowd after them. Got to be an improvement over that. I'm a much bigger fan of the band too now. Can't wait for it! 

1 hour ago, Padjeq said:

Third time for me on tuesday. Hope Love Me is a proper fixture on this tour and not one on one off like it seemed to be last year.

And out of all their singles Love Me just never resonated with me. 

Seeing them in Liverpool on Wednesday so hoping for a few surprises but guessing it’ll be everything they have out on Notes so far and then the biggest of the rest. 

She Way Out or She’s American hopefully!

2 hours ago, rawrsomesauce said:

Even when the new arena is built, we still need venues with circa 3K - 5K cap so hopefully they replace the Motorpoint with an Academy sized venue. 

Yeah that’s a fair point. I was speaking to one of the stewards there a couple of weeks back and they were saying they believe the plan is to keep the Motorpoint. The only difference will be it won’t be a Live Nation venue any more so I’m not sure how that will work?