The 1975 2020

Mash011

59 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

might Manc have got switched for somewhere else? 

Possibly. Do 1975 have a link to Manchester? I don’t think from what he said it has been moved to London, I’m not from t’up North so wouldn’t know where would be available around that time or whether it’s been ditched entirely.

32 minutes ago, Bisque said:

Possibly. Do 1975 have a link to Manchester? I don’t think from what he said it has been moved to London, I’m not from t’up North so wouldn’t know where would be available around that time or whether it’s been ditched entirely.

Yeah - from the North West

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

yeah. They were described in a press release the other day as a band from Manchester. :P 

But anyway, I know they've got a show elsewhere - which is why I asked.

Stand-by.....

That reminds me of the time T in the Park ran a competition with the question name which one of these bands isn't from Manchester

a) Courteeners
b) The 1975
c) The Stone Roses

Even though all three consider themselves to be from Manchester :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Yeah I'm surprised. They did Glasgow Summer Sessions last year; but isn't that a lot bigger?

Yeah the Glasgow one is about 5/6 times bigger I think, by all accounts they didn't come close to selling that out though. They've overdone it a bit in Scotland recently, by the time they play Edinburgh they'll also have done two gigs at the Hydro, Glasgow Summer Sessions and an arena gig in Aberdeen.

13 hours ago, Bisque said:

Do 1975 have a link to Manchester?

Pretty sure they all met at High School in Wilmslow, which is about 20 minutes south of Manchester. Definitely the closest city. So not to weird for them to close themselves as a Manchester band. Definitely has a better ring than "Cheshire Band".

9 hours ago, Jamesyp42 said:

Pretty sure they all met at High School in Wilmslow, which is about 20 minutes south of Manchester. Definitely the closest city. So not to weird for them to close themselves as a Manchester band. Definitely has a better ring than "Cheshire Band".

Always find it weird when people get uptight over where any band is and isn't from eg "They're not from Manchester". It's not like said person was present for the band members formative years most likely spent frequenting whatever city they've mentioned...

Edited by jyoung

2 hours ago, jyoung said:

Always find it weird when people get uptight over where any band is and isn't from eg "They're not from Manchester". It's not like said person was present for the band members formative years most likely spent frequenting whatever city they've mentioned...

Exactly right. Such a strange thing to contest when the band claim Manchester as the home of the project.

It only ever happens to them though. And The Fall, who some suggest are from Bury instead.

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Johndenis said:

Perhaps a daft soundbite too far, going to be tricky to live up to this one  https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/feb/12/the-1975-commit-to-playing-only-gender-balanced-music-festivals-matt-healy

They've said they're gonna to attempt to and didn't mention what the percentages of the split would be. Its a good start though. Hopefully more bands with the position to do so follow suit. 

3 hours ago, Johndenis said:

Perhaps a daft soundbite too far, going to be tricky to live up to this one  https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/feb/12/the-1975-commit-to-playing-only-gender-balanced-music-festivals-matt-healy

Nice of him to wait until after they’d already headlined Reading and Leeds to make this decision. 

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Nice of him to wait until after they’d already headlined Reading and Leeds to make this decision. 

See I hate this kinda backhand comments. 

He's addmited in the past they've done that, he thinks its wrong and something needs to change, so is speaking out on it. Why is that a bad thing. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, The Nal said:

So who should've R&L booked then? Who on the lineup should be playing the main stage? And instead of who?

Wolf Alice? HAIM? Charli XCX? Sling Halsey on there. Put Haley Williams on there. Sling in acts like Soccor Mommy or Snail Mail on the 2nd stage? Put bands like Sleeter Keeny there, or Bikini Kill, or Yonaka. Bring Christine and The Queens over for a set? Phoebe Bridges? Weyes Blood? Kim Petras? Heck Cardi B if you want to go for the kinda audience Reading seems to be gravitating towards. 

Edited by chazwwe
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Wolf Alice? HAIM? Charli XCX? Sling Halsey on there. Put Haley Williams on there. Sling in acts like Soccor Mommy or Snail Mail on the 2nd stage? Put bands like Sleeter Keeny there, or Bikini Kill, or Yonaka. Bring Christine and The Queens over for a set? Phoebe Bridges? Weyes Blood? Kim Petras? Heck Cardi B if you want to go for the kinda audience Reading seems to be gravitating towards. 

Dua Lipa could easily have headlined as well! Plenty of female acts they could have put on the bill.

11 minutes ago, theesundayroast said:

Amyl and the sniffers in the FR stage/ the pit would have been a nice addition and I still hope to see Wolf Alice on the main.

Amyl and the Sniffers is one girl and 3 blokes and their tour is finished before the festival takes place. 

9 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Not going through all them but Sleater Kinney are touring currently, US tour last year, Euro tour now, and are finishing up in a few weeks. They wont be around.

Wolf Alices have no dates around then.

Soccer Mommys tour is over by then. 

Cardi B is not touring. 

Christine and the Queens are not touring.

Sure why not Madonna? Just give her a bell like.