The 1975 2020

Mash011

I'm surprised people think the 1975 aren't big enough to headline Glastonbury even though they're one of the biggest, if not the biggest, band in the UK right now not to mention selling out arenas around Europe & the US. Their last UK tour sold out pretty much immediate including 2 nights at the O2 and with three number 1 albums, there's no way they aren't big enough. 

53 minutes ago, rawrsomesauce said:

I'm surprised people think the 1975 aren't big enough to headline Glastonbury even though they're one of the biggest, if not the biggest, band in the UK right now not to mention selling out arenas around Europe & the US. Their last UK tour sold out pretty much immediate including 2 nights at the O2 and with three number 1 albums, there's no way they aren't big enough. 

They absolutely are big enough. People are just confusing facts with their own opinion on their music. It's not even a debate tbh.

On 8/26/2019 at 5:50 PM, Rose-Colored Boy said:

At the last gig of theirs I went to I had a hen party to our left, a family including a gram to our right, student-age people in front of us and burly blokes that would fit a Farage voting-stereotype behind us to our right. There’s literally no way of scientifically surveying the exact demographics they appeal to but it’s definitely never felt like a One Direction concert when I’ve seen them, like one person suggested upthread. 

As I wrote before, I can see their potential as Friday headliner material of Pyramid Stage next year (tad weak for Saturday and Sunday as the grand headliners, though, at this point) — their performance was captivating and the stage set was inventive at Glasgow Summer Sessions.

But the demographic of the audience of the day was, unlike your observation at the gig you attended, almost if not entirely “One Direction crowd” — i.e. young girls around 70-80 percent. That was the impression I got on the train from Glasgow Central to Dumbreck St, walking en route to the park and all over the festival site. That may justify the reservation about their Glastonbury headlining status to some degree if any.

46 minutes ago, zzzfest said:

As I wrote before, I can see their potential as Friday headliner material of Pyramid Stage next year (tad weak for Saturday and Sunday as the grand headliners, though, at this point) — their performance was captivating and the stage set was inventive at Glasgow Summer Sessions.

But the demographic of the audience of the day was, unlike your observation at the gig you attended, almost if not entirely “One Direction crowd” — i.e. young girls around 70-80 percent. That was the impression I got on the train from Glasgow Central to Dumbreck St, walking en route to the park and all over the festival site. That may justify the reservation about their Glastonbury headlining status to some degree if any.

efestivals user in shocking 'young people go to reading & leeds fest' discovery

17 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

reasons a band can't headline glastonbury:

• girls like them
  • ???? dunno

Also we couldn’t DARE have a headliner that would appeal to a female audience. What absolute absurdity.

Edited by Matt42

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I also think Notes (out February) is going to be their biggest album yet. 

Do you really? I kinda think they've plateaued (at headline level, don't get me wrong) with this last album. Would be a bit surprised if they broke through onto another level with the next disc.

Do we know if People is gonna be on it?

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I wholeheartedly agree with your viewpoint.

I won’t be surprised if now they’ve hit the big time and garnered an audience they will start really experimenting with their music.

Hopefully they headline Glasto on a wacky a f album

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I won’t be surprised if now they’ve hit the big time and garnered an audience they will start really experimenting with their music.

ILIWYS had post-rock, funk, folk, dream pop and also their highest charting single. I don't think they'd be 'really starting' now. :P I'd be interested to see how much more ground they could cover though.

Edited by dentalplan

19 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The new instrumental they did at Reading sounded a lot like Jon Hopkins, I’m hoping for more of that as I think their more electronic influenced stuff is some of their strongest material. 

1 hour ago, Mash011 said:

I could definitely see tracks like How To Draw (Petrichor) and I Like America being the template for where the band's headed.

Hadn't heard that track but I've just listened on Spotify and I think it backs up what I was saying earlier in the thread about them being impossible to pigeon-hole. They're basically one of the biggest UK bands around right now and they're putting stuff on their albums that sounds like Aphex Twin. Not sure how anybody could call them boring.

I think somebody on here said they thought they were "focus grouped" or something like that. Absolute madness, that person clearly isn't paying attention.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Wasn’t their last album meant to be “experimental”? I recall one overly enthusiastic reviewer referring to it as the Millennial OK Computer.

Gave it a listen and thought it was a load of toss.