The 1975 2020

Mash011

4 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

'Everywhere' or just at indie discos and on Radio 1, the same places Chocolate by The 1975 is on constant rotation despite nobody having ever heard of that song apparently

You couldn't move for Do I Wanna Know through '13 and '14, I'm sure a few other of the singles from that album were the same (although they released nearly every song from that album). One of the more cross-overy albums of the last decade.

I agree with the bigger point you were trying to make so I don't know why I'm picking you up on this ahah, working on a bank holiday monday got me all riled up.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

'Everywhere' or just at indie discos and on Radio 1, the same places Chocolate by The 1975 is on constant rotation despite nobody having ever heard of that song apparently

Were they? R U Mine and Do I Wanna Know frequently popped up at house parties when I was a student but I'm not aware they entered the conscience of the wider public to any great extent

Not necessarily, ask Metallica

Well in that case then we're saying that selling out multiple nights at the O2 isn't enough, so what would be exactly

Chocolate’s a famous song, but it’s one song, there’s clearly a difference between having loads of famous songs and having a single song people have heard of.

AM was huge as others have said, also slightly besides the point.

Metallica were a bizarre booking though, people would have been actively put off by the reputation of their style of music.

A few things on your last point, firstly having a lot of fans and having popularity with people who aren’t specifically fans are different. Secondly a stadium tour would be a good sign (not a necessity though tbf)

10 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

i swear y'all are just debating whether they're big enough because you need something to post about. you can't seriously still be thinking they're not.

I genuinely don’t think they are and nor do any of the people I’ve talked to about it, I’m really surprised that everyone on here seems to think they are

55 minutes ago, BasicWhiteBoy said:

I genuinely don’t think they are and nor do any of the people I’ve talked to about it, I’m really surprised that everyone on here seems to think they are

It’s kinda irrelevant what anyone on here thinks though isn’t it? They’re defo performing next year, whether it’s a headline slot or not remains to be seen but we won’t influence that.  

Edited by Skelts

2 minutes ago, Skelts said:

It’s kinda irrelevant what anyone on here thinks though isn’t it? They’re defo performing next year, whether it’s a headline slot or not remains to be seen but we won’t influence that.  

Think you might have that the wrong way round. They may or may not be playing next year, but if they are they are definitely headlining.

2 hours ago, BasicWhiteBoy said:

It should be scarce though surely? It’s meant to be a big deal headlining Glastonbury it shouldn’t be just anyone who gets booked to do it

No it shouldn’t be ‘just anyone’ but we’re not talking about Circa Waves here, we’re talking about a band who

• sell out The O2
  • just outright headlined Reading and Leeds, having also previously headlined Latitude
  • put a lot of effort into making their shows more interesting to watch than your standard ‘three guitars and a drummer’ gigs, to placate casual fans
  • appeal to a reasonably wide range of people (judging by the hen party sat next to me at their show in January)
  • have three number one albums out of three
  • scored 83 on metacritic for their last album, and Mercury Prize noms for each of their last two
  • constantly switch it up and put out songs in a whole bunch of styles, rather than just the same thing over and over again 
  • write and produce their own songs tackling issues of substance, regardless of your opinion about whether it’s genuine blah blah blah
  • are British (which shouldn’t make any difference but it does)

I fully accept that they don’t have songs as well known as Thinking Out Loud etc, but if we’re saying that a band can have all of the above going for them and still not be worthy of headlining Glastonbury then Glastonbury may as well just not bother having any headliners :) 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

No it shouldn’t be ‘just anyone’ but we’re not talking about Circa Waves here, we’re talking about a band who

• sell out The O2
  • just outright headlined Reading and Leeds, having also previously headlined Latitude
  • put a lot of effort into making their shows more interesting to watch than your standard ‘three guitars and a drummer’ gigs, to placate casual fans
  • appeal to a reasonably wide range of people (judging by the hen party sat next to me at their show in January)
  • scored 83 on metacritic for their last album, and Mercury Prize noms for each of their last two
  • constantly switch it up and put out songs in a whole bunch of styles, rather than just the same thing over and over again 
  • write and produce their own songs tackling issues of substance, regardless of your opinion about whether it’s genuine blah blah blah
  • are British (which shouldn’t make any difference but it does)

I fully accept that they don’t have songs as well known as Thinking Out Loud etc, but if we’re saying that a band can have all of the above going for them and still not be worthy of headlining Glastonbury then Glastonbury may as well just not bother having any headliners :) 

The thing is several of those things you’ve listed are subjective. I don’t agree that they’re interesting to watch live and I don’t agree that they appeal to a wide range of people beyond their primary audience. I suppose this latter point is the core of the matter, if a band can appeal to a wider audience they’ll probably be successful at a festival, and I think having a lot of famous songs helps this. But essentially the issue is that I don’t think the 1975 have this wider appeal.

22 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Dude give up honesty the argument on this forum is “they aren’t big enough to headline because I don’t like them.”

Just gotta wait until they are announced I guess. 

3 minutes ago, BasicWhiteBoy said:

The thing is several of those things you’ve listed are subjective. I don’t agree that they’re interesting to watch live and I don’t agree that they appeal to a wide range of people beyond their primary audience. I suppose this latter point is the core of the matter, if a band can appeal to a wider audience they’ll probably be successful at a festival, and I think having a lot of famous songs helps this. But essentially the issue is that I don’t think the 1975 have this wider appeal.

What is subjective about them playing to 130,000 people in one weekend?

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

What is subjective about them playing to 160,000 people in one weekend?

A friend who was at Reading said Post Malone played to more and I don’t think he should headline Glastonbury either. Headlining R+L doesn’t automatically make you right to headline Glastonbury

1 minute ago, BasicWhiteBoy said:

A friend who was at Reading said Post Malone played to more and I don’t think he should headline Glastonbury either. Headlining R+L doesn’t automatically make you right to headline Glastonbury

I disagree - Post Malone wont headline Glastonbury unless the Eavis’s ask him. I doubt they will... but Post ain’t playing anywhere below headline at Glasto. He won’t accept it.

Edited by Matt42

6 minutes ago, BasicWhiteBoy said:

At the last gig of theirs I went to I had a hen party to our left, a family including a gram to our right, student-age people in front of us and burly blokes that would fit a Farage voting-stereotype behind us to our right. There’s literally no way of scientifically surveying the exact demographics they appeal to but it’s definitely never felt like a One Direction concert when I’ve seen them, like one person suggested upthread. 

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Dude give up honesty the argument on this forum is “they aren’t big enough to headline because I don’t like them.”

Yeah I’m about done now I think. Very boring.

You can’t compare the 1975 to Post, Twenty One Pilots, Travis Scott, Drake etc - those acts only play Festivals which book them to headline.

It’s nothing to do with the fact that they aren’t ‘big’ enough for Glastonbury. It’s probably a mutual understanding that Glasto doesn’t really consider them headliners that would fit the fest / their booking fee/ management won’t accept a slot below top billing. Instead - they just go elsewhere to festivals that will book them in that slot.

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

You can’t compare the 1975 to Post, Twenty One Pilots, Travis Scott, Drake etc - those acts only play Festivals which book them to headline.

It’s nothing to do with the fact that they aren’t ‘big’ enough for Glastonbury. It’s probably a mutual understanding that Glasto doesn’t really consider them headliners that would fit the fest / their booking fee/ management won’t accept a slot below top billing. Instead - they just go elsewhere to festivals that will book them in that slot.

Yep. You also have to consider that The 1975 have played Glastonbury four(?) times on their way up through the ranks, including being given the prestigious slot before Dolly in 2014, whereas those acts.. haven’t.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I disagree - Post Malone wont headline Glastonbury unless the Eavis’s ask him. I doubt they will... but Post ain’t playing anywhere below headline at Glasto. He won’t accept it.

Just because he thinks he should headline  doesn’t mean he should.

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

As said above I have absolutely no dislike of the 1975 I just genuinely don’t think they’re big enough.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

You can’t compare the 1975 to Post, Twenty One Pilots, Travis Scott, Drake etc - those acts only play Festivals which book them to headline

I would consider all those acts (possibly excepting Drake) as being in the same category as being very popular within their demographic but relatively limited wider appeal. I think that Rose-Colored Boy raised the right point, it’s about the appeal to a wide audience and at the end of the day I don’t think the 1975 have that and you clearly do, it’s just a difference of opinion, there’s no prejudice or no element of me being harsh on them because I don’t like them because as I said above I don’t dislike them, it’s just my opinion that they don’t have the widespread appeal needed to successfully headline Glastonbury 

While I completely agree their should be a 'critieria' for what makes a Glastonbury headliner, as others have said, if you stick to it too closely you never get anything new. Rock bands/indie bands don't get #1 singles anymore. It hasn't happened for a LONG time. You have to go by fan base/albums/how well they do at selling out places.

They've been selling out the O2 since the start of their 2nd album, they're on their way to release their 4th which I'm sure will go #1 like the previous 3. They could probably sell out London Stadium if they wanted too. They released their new single 3 days ago and it already has over a million views on YouTube. 

If they play, they'll be headlining. They'll bring a stage show, have fireworks and streamers and I'm sure will win over a few people (i'm not a fan really) 

If you wanna discuss something that we won't find out, discuss the size of their crowd. That's far more interesting than 'they wont headline because they don't have any top 10 singles.'

9 minutes ago, BasicWhiteBoy said:

Just because he thinks he should headline  doesn’t mean he should

Wow you completely missed my point.

Post won’t be in the running or on the radar of Glastonbury HQ because he wouldn’t accept a slot below headline. That is why it won’t happen, because he is 100% a headliner or nothing booking.

the point about the other acts is that regardless of whether they are likely to get asked to headline Glastonbury - those acts listed are headline or nothing bookings.

The 1975 are very likely, and probably will, get asked to do it. So you cannot compare them to pilots or Scott. 

Edited by Matt42