The 1975 2020

Mash011

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Reads like they're not booked but would like to be. Is it not a little late for that?

Yeah it does but they could also be doing the typical “we would absolutely love to play Glastonbury please give us a call” sorta thing that a lot of bands do.

I do find that if bands aren’t playing they typically just tell you.

edit: also I remember serge in an interview saying that in 2014 Kasabian were told they were in line for a slot but didn’t receive the final call for quite a while. If it’s anything similar to that.

Edited by Matt42

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Reads like they're not booked but would like to be. Is it not a little late for that?

Could be in negotiations still. Reminds me a bit of the time they self confirmed their Reading headline set while on stage at their Reading NME stage headline set. 

Just now, Matt42 said:

Yeah it does but they could also be doing the typical “we would absolutely love to play Glastonbury please give us a call” sorta thing that a lot of bands do.

I do find that if bands aren’t playing they typically just tell you.

Jamie Oborne isn't usually one for misdirection. I think he usually tells it pretty straight up. For example:

jy2f1ydpacg31.jpg

4 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Could be in negotiations still. Reminds me a bit of the time they self confirmed their Reading headline set while on stage at their Reading NME stage headline set. 

Perhaps. It isn't really like that time, though - one is Matty saying "we're gonna do this" and the other is the label manager saying "please can we do this".

I’ve been on this forum long enough to know though that...

*insert picture of Michael eavis smiling* with caption “Headliners?... sorted!” Is usually not accurate.

All three headliners already being a done deal this early seems too good to be true. 

5 hours ago, mattiloy said:

They’re just the standard bearers for inauthenticity. Surfing upon the tide of pretentiousness and hypocrisy borne of the social media age where replication is all and nothing means anything.

The thing that gets under my skin is- fine, pop music is often pretty simple. It sells better. Literal repetitive lyrics, sparse of metaphor or poetry, simple melodies etc.  But it’s the pretense of some kind of depth that I can’t tolerate. They are charlatans.

The name of the band, derived from some story about an edition of Kerouac on the road - the edgelord’s very hungry caterpillar. The singers dog is called Allen Ginsberg which says it all really - arguably the ultimate charlatan, snake oil selling, bullshit merchant going and a pedofile to boot.

I don't know the first thing about The 1975, but they can't be as boring as you. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

19 hours ago, mattiloy said:

They’re just the standard bearers for inauthenticity. Surfing upon the tide of pretentiousness and hypocrisy borne of the social media age where replication is all and nothing means anything.

The thing that gets under my skin is- fine, pop music is often pretty simple. It sells better. Literal repetitive lyrics, sparse of metaphor or poetry, simple melodies etc.  But it’s the pretense of some kind of depth that I can’t tolerate. They are charlatans.

The name of the band, derived from some story about an edition of Kerouac on the road - the edgelord’s very hungry caterpillar. The singers dog is called Allen Ginsberg which says it all really - arguably the ultimate charlatan, snake oil selling, bullshit merchant going and a pedofile to boot.

Christ, I may not like the 1975, but that is some serious twattery right there.

20 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Don't hold back, say how you feel...

I’ve been to Bellahouston Park yesterday. Neither a fan or a hater myself, the only time I saw them before was Hyde Park 2013 when they supported The Rolling Stones. They were not particularly impressive then. In all honesty this time I thought they were good enough for Pyramid stage Friday headliner if not for Saturday and Sunday.

As for the demographics of the fans — when I saw The Cure there, I didn’t feel old, lots of my generation were there. This time I did...?

17 minutes ago, BasicWhiteBoy said:

They’ve had 8 uk top 40 hits and no top 10s, for me that means they’re not big enough to headline. Discussions about quality are irrelevant; if they’re popular enough there will be interest in them to headline and if they’re not there won’t

I don’t think there’s any doubt that they’re big enough to do it. They’ve just headlined the second biggest festival in the country so yes, they’re absolutely in the mix for next year.

I still think they’re nailed on for next year, and good luck to them.

I’ll just be somewhere else.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I don’t think there’s any doubt that they’re big enough to do it. They’ve just headlined the second biggest festival in the country so yes, they’re absolutely in the mix for next year.

I still think they’re nailed on for next year, and good luck to them.

I’ll just be somewhere else.

I don’t agree, and I don’t think 21 Pilots or Post Malone are big enough either. I think Glastonbury’s a completely different scale to R+L. Headlining R+L is just a festival headline slot, headlining Glastonbury is the biggest gig in music (at least in the UK). For me they just don’t have enough well known songs to pull it off, the Reading set confirmed that for me tbh.

16 minutes ago, BasicWhiteBoy said:

I don’t agree, and I don’t think 21 Pilots or Post Malone are big enough either. I think Glastonbury’s a completely different scale to R+L. Headlining R+L is just a festival headline slot, headlining Glastonbury is the biggest gig in music (at least in the UK). For me they just don’t have enough well known songs to pull it off, the Reading set confirmed that for me tbh.

Do Arcade Fire have more well known songs than The 1975? How many top 10 singles have they had?

44 minutes ago, BasicWhiteBoy said:

They’ve had 8 uk top 40 hits and no top 10s, for me that means they’re not big enough to headline. Discussions about quality are irrelevant; if they’re popular enough there will be interest in them to headline and if they’re not there won’t

They’ve had as many number one albums as Adele, and three times as many as The Cure have managed in 40 years. 

Clean Bandit have had more number one singles than Muse, The Killers and the Foo Fighters put together.

Billie Eilish has had as many top five songs this year as Dolly Parton has managed in her entire career.

Chart stats divorced from the wider context of an act’s general cultural weighting are meaningless.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Do Arcade Fire have more well known songs than The 1975? How many top 10 singles have they had?

And I don’t think Arcade Fire were big enough to headline either

13 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

They’ve had as many number one albums as Adele, and three times as many as The Cure have managed in 40 years. 

Clean Bandit have had more number one singles than Muse, The Killers and the Foo Fighters put together.

Billie Eilish has had as many top five songs this year as Dolly Parton has managed in her entire career.

Chart stats divorced from the wider context of an act’s general cultural weighting are meaningless.

Of course chart stats aren’t the be all and end all but a lack of chart success makes it a lot harder for an act to be a successful headliner. The majority of people at the festival are not going to be specific fans of  any headliner, just because they represent a wide cross section of music tastes and the actual percentage of music fans who are specifically fans of any given artist is small. So having a large number of songs that people who aren’t fans will know will go a long way towards making the set a success. People are naturally gonna get bored during songs they don’t know in a headline set, unless the performance is absolutely fantastic, which I don’t think the 1975 would deliver (although I accept that’s just my opinion)

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Not liking an act doesn’t mean they’re not headliner material.

I never said I didn’t like them, I do like a few of their more famous songs, I’m just saying I don’t think they’re big enough

Edited by BasicWhiteBoy

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

But they did, so obviously your idea of how big a Glasto headliner should be isn’t the same as the festival bookers.

Ah allow me to clarify my point because I’m not sure I’ve made it very clearly. I’m not saying they won’t headline, I’m saying I think it would be a disappointing booking. Everyone makes mistakes including the Glastonbury bookers so of course they might book them, but I would find it underwhelming and I find it hard to believe they’d deliver a good set (on account of the band’s popularity, not saying anything about quality).

That being said, what for me is a mistake for another might be a great decision, I’m just giving my opinion as is surely the point of an internet forum.

17 minutes ago, BasicWhiteBoy said:

And I don’t think Arcade Fire were big enough to headline either

Of course chart stats aren’t the be all and end all but a lack of chart success makes it a lot harder for an act to be a successful headliner. The majority of people at the festival are not going to be specific fans of  any headliner, just because they represent a wide cross section of music tastes and the actual percentage of music fans who are specifically fans of any given artist is small. So having a large number of songs that people who aren’t fans will know will go a long way towards making the set a success. People are naturally gonna get bored during songs they don’t know in a headline set, unless the performance is absolutely fantastic, which I don’t think the 1975 would deliver (although I accept that’s just my opinion)

I never said I didn’t like them, I do like a few of their more famous songs, I’m just saying I don’t think they’re big enough

The Arctic Monkeys haven’t had a crossover hit song since FWM, and they basically ignore everything pre-Humbug in their modern setlists anyway, and they’re also terrible live unless you’re a massive fan.

It doesn’t matter if a band gets playlisted on Capital FM: if you can pull a crowd in - and The 1975 would certainly do that - a headliner is a headliner :) 

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

The Arctic Monkeys haven’t had a crossover hit song since FWM, and they basically ignore everything pre-Humbug in their modern setlists anyway, and they’re also terrible live unless you’re a massive fan.

Besides the entirety of AM which was played everywhere for years after its release.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

It doesn’t matter if a band gets playlisted on Capital FM: if you can pull a crowd in - and The 1975 would certainly do that - a headliner is a headliner :) 

Pretty much all the singles on AM were popular hits. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Just by the fact that they’re headliner their crowd would significantly increase. There  are plenty of people who go to see the headliners purely because they’re the headliners. I don’t think that there are that many people (relatively speaking) who would go and see them because they want to see the 1975 specifically, rather than because they’re the headliners. And I think the people seeing them because they’re headlining wouldn’t particularly enjoy the set because they simply don’t know enough of the songs

21 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Besides the entirety of AM which was played everywhere for years after its release.

'Everywhere' or just at indie discos and on Radio 1, the same places Chocolate by The 1975 is on constant rotation despite nobody having ever heard of that song apparently

21 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Pretty much all the singles on AM were popular hits. 

Were they? R U Mine and Do I Wanna Know frequently popped up at house parties when I was a student but I'm not aware they entered the conscience of the wider public to any great extent

14 minutes ago, BasicWhiteBoy said:

There  are plenty of people who go to see the headliners purely because they’re the headliners. 

Not necessarily, ask Metallica

14 minutes ago, BasicWhiteBoy said:

I don’t think that there are that many people (relatively speaking) who would go and see them because they want to see the 1975 specifically

Well in that case then we're saying that selling out multiple nights at the O2 isn't enough, so what would be exactly