The 1975 2020

Mash011

8 hours ago, Slugworth said:

unpopular opinion maybe but after watching their Reading set I’d put them Other stage headliner maximum. Regardless of their following, no way Pyramid. 

Just my opinion though. 

How can a band play to an 80,000 crowd and be other headliner sized?

I’m convinced that your opinion at this point is “I don’t want them to headline because I don’t like them”. 

9 minutes ago, jparx said:

You can argue your opinion that they're not very good. Dental is just pouncing on you because your argument is quite weak. For a start, lay out some constructive criticisms of the band without referencing Love Island or insulting groups of people.

The thing is that nobody is even arguing they’re an amazing band here, except Mash when he pops up lmao. This isn’t a hotbed of big fans - just people saying they are a very popular band and that they’ve done enough to headline, which is the debatable topic - so I’m not sure there’d be much point in detailing the reasons they are bad.

13 hours ago, Suprefan said:

So pretty much theyre going to be the one young headliner while the other 2 are much more cemented into that title? At least theyll be on Friday and the proper weekend will have loads of other good acts. 

Just cross your fingers they dont win the Mercury or the kiddies will scream to make then headline glasto because they had been properly recognised as makers of good music.

Maybe the kiddies know more about what will make a banging evening on the farm than the judges of the Mercury Prize.

11 hours ago, Slugworth said:

unpopular opinion maybe but after watching their Reading set I’d put them Other stage headliner maximum. Regardless of their following, no way Pyramid. 

Just my opinion though. 

What you personally thought of the quality of the set has absolutely nothing to do with where they will be placed. You don't like them, fine, but they're gonna be Pyramid headliners lol. You are delusional if you think they're gonna be on the Other. "Regardless of their following" is an absolutely baffling comment.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

How can a band play to an 80,000 crowd and be other headliner sized?

I’m convinced that your opinion at this point is “I don’t want them to headline because I don’t like them”. 

They’re just the standard bearers for inauthenticity. Surfing upon the tide of pretentiousness and hypocrisy borne of the social media age where replication is all and nothing means anything.

The thing that gets under my skin is- fine, pop music is often pretty simple. It sells better. Literal repetitive lyrics, sparse of metaphor or poetry, simple melodies etc.  But it’s the pretense of some kind of depth that I can’t tolerate. They are charlatans.

The name of the band, derived from some story about an edition of Kerouac on the road - the edgelord’s very hungry caterpillar. The singers dog is called Allen Ginsberg which says it all really - arguably the ultimate charlatan, snake oil selling, bullshit merchant going and a pedofile to boot.

• Downvote 3

I didn’t know his dog’s name and I’m a bloody fan.

It’s okay to just simply say you don’t like them and head on over to another thread. Or just don’t post anything. There’s no need to start throwing about allegations that he’s a nonce ffs.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

16 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

love 2 get absolutely furious when i hear pop music that does anything beyond the bare minimum of creativity. how dare they!!! leave it to the rock bands for grown ups like me! 

We’ve become so used to our societal ‘leaders’ competing with each other to be as cynical and moronic as possible that nothing and nobody in the public eye is allowed to be genuinely intellectual these days, everyone is either thick or focus-grouped to fuck and pretending not to be. Which sounds like something Matty would write a song about, ironically.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

4 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Some of you haven’t had an intense moment of self-reflection during ‘I Like America and America Likes Me’ at a The 1975 gig and it shows.

It would probably make me reflect on what the fuck I’m doing at a 1975 gig but for me their music is too shallow to provoke any sort of an emotional reaction.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Madyaker said:

It would probably make me reflect on what the fuck I’m doing at a 1975 gig but for me their music is too shallow to provoke any sort of an emotional reaction.

mlady this is not enlightened music... gentle men please change the channel... it is too shallow sirs 

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked, fucking in a car, shooting heroin, saying controversial things just for the hell of it

careful now, if you start making literary allusions someone might call you pretentious on a web forum