The 1975 2020

Mash011

47 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Also, big fat fucking yawn at people on here calling them the Love Island / Hollyoaks of music...

Fucking sad and judgemental losers.

Yer man gave the game away a bit just now when he said they might inspire kids to ‘get into guitar music’. They’ve got more songs that sound like Yazoo than sound like the Foo Fighters.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Matt42 said:

I really don’t understand the gatekeeping that circulates around the 1975.

It really does just sound like old fogies not liking what the kids are into.

There’s so many different styles they’ve gone through as well. Unless you literally only listen to metal, dubstep or rap there’s gonna be something there for you.

So pretty much theyre going to be the one young headliner while the other 2 are much more cemented into that title? At least theyll be on Friday and the proper weekend will have loads of other good acts. 

Just cross your fingers they dont win the Mercury or the kiddies will scream to make then headline glasto because they had been properly recognised as makers of good music.

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

So pretty much theyre going to be the one young headliner while the other 2 are much more cemented into that title? At least theyll be on Friday and the proper weekend will have loads of other good acts. 

No not necessarily on either part.

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

Just cross your fingers they dont win the Mercury or the kiddies will scream to make then headline glasto because they had been properly recognised as makers of good music.

The current holders of this award are Wolf Alice so that is not what the award does.

The 1975 worked their way up the same way as any other band?

They don’t need the Mercury Prize, they don’t need a “boost” in their career. They are already there. 

They are a bona fide UK headliner now.

Edited by Matt42

56 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Yeah that’s a bit harsh.

I'm not even a big fan but if you don't like them, just say that. At least that has some credibility. You're allowed to not like stuff. The Love Island and Hollyoaks generalisations are just lazy and ignorant attacks on people for no reason. Totally stupid and out of order.

Edited by jyoung
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Some bands manage to stay in that position for a long time and it does quite well for them.

i.e a day to remember sub headlining a major UK festival in 2019. I didn’t realise they even had fans in the UK!

Fuck me you're young if that’s your example , I thought ADTR were still kinda relevant. Back to the argument, not a fan but they fully deserve to headline. No new British band even comes close to them. 

7 minutes ago, HeyPorter said:

Fuck me you're young if that’s your example , I thought ADTR were still kinda relevant. Back to the argument, not a fan but they fully deserve to headline. No new British band even comes close to them. 

Are Friendly fires older than them? 

Also - the audio mix in that Corden clip is kinda bad, as these things tend to be, but that's honestly a really cool and song and it sounds really good in an actual live show. It's them at their most inventive. And you're gonna struggle to defend your 'they sound the same as everyone else' takes while simultaneously freaking out because they're making weird soundcloud rap influenced autotune mega-pop songs that you don't understand.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jyoung said:

I'm not even a big fan but if you don't like them, just say that. At least that has some credibility. You're allowed to not like stuff. The Love Island and Hollyoaks generalisations are just lazy and ignorant attacks on people for no reason. Totally stupid and out of order.

If you like the Hollyoaks of bands, just say that. You’re allowed to like the Hollyoaks of bands.

9 hours ago, dentalplan said:

You seem more obsessed with The 1975 than some of their fans.

You seem more obsessed with putting down dissent than big Joe Stalin.

Apologies. I’ll only write nice things from now on. The 1975 are geniuses and they write about real relatable things like when you’re just a sensitive guy that nobody understands and a girl in your class doesn’t want to kiss you on the lips or like you back on insta-G. Can’t wait to see them at gwastonbuwy where it will be milky teas all round!

Hug and kiss xo

42 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

If you like the Hollyoaks of bands, just say that. You’re allowed to like the Hollyoaks of bands.

Apologies. I’ll only write nice things from now on. The 1975 are geniuses and they write about real relatable things like when you’re just a sensitive guy that nobody understands and a girl in your class doesn’t want to kiss you on the lips or like you back on insta-G. Can’t wait to see them at gwastonbuwy where it will be milky teas all round!

Hug and kiss xo

Does Godwin’s Law still apply if someone invokes Stalin rather than Hitler?

Edited by Hugh Jass

6 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Also - the audio mix in that Corden clip is kinda bad, as these things tend to be, but that's honestly a really cool and song and it sounds really good in an actual live show. It's them at their most inventive. And you're gonna struggle to defend your 'they sound the same as everyone else' takes while simultaneously freaking out because they're making weird soundcloud rap influenced autotune mega-pop songs that you don't understand.

No. Just no. That song sounds like a desperate attempt to be different and creative by a band who haven’t got the chops to do so and it just comes off really bad. It feels very forced to me. Some of their other stuff is ok but there’s no defending that. Their manager or someone should have taken them aside and told never to put that out.

Edited by Madyaker

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

Hug and kiss xo

You can argue your opinion that they're not very good. Dental is just pouncing on you because your argument is quite weak. For a start, lay out some constructive criticisms of the band without referencing Love Island or insulting groups of people.