The 1975 2020

Mash011

2 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Are you serious? Can see this going down well on the pyramid alright ?? Atrocious

This is actually terrible. 

The one where he's trying to do some sort of indie Marilyn Manson is at least better than that. Even it it does suggest that, fuck me, rock is dead. 

Edited by Sasperella

I quite like that people tune to be honest.

Guitar sounds a bit like the Hives to me. 

It isnt gunna change my life, but Ive added it to a spotify playlist. Never thought I'd say that about The 1975.

However the video @Madyaker posted has just given me a bit of a rash. Horrible.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

The biggest mystery to me is how they can invoke any kind of strong reaction. They’re not terrible - the last couple of videos in this thread I’ve quite enjoyed. So I’m baffled at people ranting about how awful they are. I’m also a bit bewildered at how anybody can think they’re great. I mean, they clearly believe they are, but I listen to their music and think ‘fair enough’ then go and listen to something I enjoy more. 

6 minutes ago, kalifire said:

The biggest mystery to me is how they can invoke any kind of strong reaction. They’re not terrible - the last couple of videos in this thread I’ve quite enjoyed. So I’m baffled at people ranting about how awful they are. I’m also a bit bewildered at how anybody can think they’re great. I mean, they clearly believe they are, but I listen to their music and think ‘fair enough’ then go and listen to something I enjoy more. 

Their audience, The young kids think they are great. However, the kids don’t realise that the 1975 aren’t exactly doing anything new. 

Read the YouTube comments on People it should give you a flavour about the 1975’s audience.

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Simply because they're so popular right now. Loads of the bands that are the biggest targets for criticism on here are the ones that are particularly popular. Nobody is going to bother complaining all the time about really bad bands like Don Broco, they'll save it for okay but overrated (by the outside world) bands like the 1975 and Coldplay (though at least Coldplay have some really strong early material).  I can empathise with it, they're not particularly talented or interesting, the only reason many of us pay them any attention is because they're so popular and headlining festivals that we all talk about. I only listened to their new song out of curiosity because of the hype around them atm (and I guess because I think they'll headline Glastonbury next year) but whilst the others sound pretty average to me (except Love It If We Made It which is pretty catchy), this one is actually abysmal and I did what you did and quickly moved on to something else. They're average, but they're a talking point.

They have the albums. The audience. Stage presence. Visual elements. Like them or hate them they could easily headline. I used to be a big fan, not so much these days with the scream one direction-esque kiddy fans.

I still think it's mad how they came out with a few singles before and didn't get the response they needed the first time around. Quickly disappeared. Few years later they re-released 'Sex' and the rest is history. Strange how things work out, right place right time.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

what performance? there's nothing about that utterly dreadful Corden clip that says headliners. It's embarrassingly bad.

I think that person is talking about their Reading Festival headline slot.

And they absolutely smashed it. As they did when they headlined Latitude in 2017. 

They’re totally ready to headline Glastonbury (to be honest, they were ready to do it this year)

Edited by aidenlangan95
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

what performance? there's nothing about that utterly dreadful Corden clip that says headliners. It's embarrassingly bad.

I second this. Sure, they prepared some stage visuals, but 80% of them were just images of rectangles.

if they could just replace Matty Healy with someone less self-aware then I’d give them a go.

21 hours ago, kalifire said:

Usually when opinion is split like this it means they've atleast got something about them to get people paying attention!

8 hours ago, aidenlangan95 said:

I think that person is talking about their Reading Festival headline slot.

And they absolutely smashed it. As they did when they headlined Latitude in 2017. 

They’re totally ready to headline Glastonbury (to be honest, they were ready to do it this year)

People are very quick to throw around "smashed it" for a headline set I feel.

Watched some iplayer and it just cemented my opinion, in line with @kalifire - just "eh, okay". I'm sure if you're a fan it was fantastic, and yeah there's loads of singing along and the Reading crowd looked in to it, but it didn't persuade me to think they're anything more than an okay band that have tapped in to the youth crowd.

As I mentioned a few pages ago - they are ready and absolutely will headline Glastonbury soon if not next year. They will need to do something more exciting for me to go and see them though (and I already gave them a miss at MC).

18 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

that new one is doing nothing to dissuade me from the view that everything they do is a cynical ploy, although for what ends I have no idea. Song is shite fwiw.

A song fully in Mandarin on the next album wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I don't think they're a shite band by any means, but yeah I completely get the cynical plot thing. It feels very disingenuous, but hey, it's working for them. And if they get more people acting on issues like climate change then power to them.

10 hours ago, D-Low said:

They have the albums. The audience. Stage presence. Visual elements. Like them or hate them they could easily headline. I used to be a big fan, not so much these days with the scream one direction-esque kiddy fans.

I still think it's mad how they came out with a few singles before and didn't get the response they needed the first time around. Quickly disappeared. Few years later they re-released 'Sex' and the rest is history. Strange how things work out, right place right time.

They love to tell the story about how they couldn’t even get booked for Reading as recently as 2012. Going from that to last night in seven years is a dictionary definition of perseverance paying off.

That said, People is - sonically - probably my least favourite thing they’ve ever done, so I hope they don’t make any more like that.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

On 8/23/2019 at 10:31 AM, Matt42 said:

Their audience, The young kids think they are great. However, the kids don’t realise that the 1975 aren’t exactly doing anything new. 

Read the YouTube comments on People it should give you a flavour about the 1975’s audience.

This. They’re the kind of band you listen to when you’re 12 and just getting into music. Then 10 years later you look back and wonder how you ever listened to that shite. Maybe they will headline and more power to them if they do but I won’t be watching. And if they get a few kids listening to guitar music for life that’s surely a good thing.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Madyaker said:

This. They’re the kind of band you listen to when you’re 12 and just getting into music. Then 10 years later you look back and wonder how you ever listened to that shite. Maybe they will headline and more power to them if they do but I won’t be watching. And if they get a few kids listening to guitar music for life that’s surely a good thing.

Some bands manage to stay in that position for a long time and it does quite well for them.

i.e a day to remember sub headlining a major UK festival in 2019. I didn’t realise they even had fans in the UK!

On 8/23/2019 at 2:50 PM, ghostdancer1 said:

that new one is doing nothing to dissuade me from the view that everything they do is a cynical ploy, although for what ends I have no idea. Song is shite fwiw.

A song fully in Mandarin on the next album wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Haha. Agreed. They’re like one of these fictional bands that play the prom in some film about high school in america but somehow they came out of the screen and now exist in reality... sadly.

Bland, cheshire band incapable of being original and I think they are both aware and insecure about it, hence all the tragic effort put in to be ’different’ and dramatise what is at its core.. very dull.

The hollyoaks of bands.