The 1975 2020

Mash011

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Shallow music is everywhere I don’t know why there is gasp horror at another band getting big.

I don’t exactly know why the 1975 get as much flack as they do. I’d rather go to a 1975 concert than a Mumford & Sons concert. 

The fact you called Matt Healy a nonce out of nowhere just stinks of old man complaining about what the kids like. 

Saying that you’d rather go to a 1975 concert than a Mumford & Sons concert is setting the bar pretty low.

14 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I think you’re missing my point though mate.

Mumfords, Kasabian, Arctics are the UK based bands which have emerged in the past 15 years and became bona fide festival headliners. Each of the three were heavily criticised as headliners in their outset but all three of the bands were definitely qualified to headline when they did it.

The 1975 are the next UK band to reach national headline level (including Glastonbury). They are criticised for many reasons, some valid. Some don’t like their music and that’s okay - but you can’t say the 1975 aren’t ready to headline. 

After they headline reading this year and debut their festival headline stage show for the BBC to lap up it’s gonna become much clearer.

Okay sorry, I too think they're more than ready to headline. Could've done it off the back of the 3rd album already.

I’ve tried many times to understand why so many people like this band but I just don’t get it. Just had another go on Spotify there for about 15 mins. His voice annoys me which doesn’t help. They’ve somehow fooled people into thinking they’re better than all the other indie landfill bands so hats off to them for that. They’ll probably get their shot but I don’t think it’ll be next year.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 7/27/2019 at 5:01 PM, Madyaker said:

I’ve tried many times to understand why so many people like this band but I just don’t get it. Just had another go on Spotify there for about 15 mins. His voice annoys me which doesn’t help. They’ve somehow fooled people into thinking they’re better than all the other indie landfill bands so hats off to them for that. They’ll probably get their shot but I don’t think it’ll be next year.

Exactly this. Absolute shite. Emperor’s New Clothes syndrome 

Edited by caballosblancos
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 7/26/2019 at 3:09 PM, Odessa said:

Do you expect them to become instantly legendary when their debut came out like 6 years ago? The 1975 are a great band and will absolutely smash it. Comparing them to The Rolling Stones is just a total waste of time.

On 7/26/2019 at 4:53 PM, fatyeti24 said:

Not exactly.  There's been plenty in between.  40 years' worth.  Too much to be listed here!

My point was more like the state of rock bands today than a direct comparison to the Rolling Stones and others since them etc. Can't see the 1975 having anywhere near the longevity of many bands, unless they took a new direction in their next album. 

6 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

My point was more like the state of rock bands today than a direct comparison to the Rolling Stones and others since them etc. Can't see the 1975 having anywhere near the longevity of many bands, unless they took a new direction in their next album. 

Thing is that when bands like the Stones started and developed, it was all relatively new. If you take 1950 as the start of the popular music era, mainly as a nice round number to work from, you're only talking 70 years lifespan.

So for example, the Stones kicked off what, 15 years into that? Everything was still pretty new, and every change of direction or development a band took was also pretty new.

Law of diminishing returns innit? It's going to be harder for any band to stand in that "classic" category as so much of it has been done, plus the sheer volume of bands able to make themselves known through much more widely available distribution options. 

There's a reason that a much  higher proportion of genuinely innovative or classic acts are in the first 20-30 years of the pop music era. They got there first.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Gives me a bit of Kasabian vibe.

'Wake up, wake up, wake up!
We are appalling and we need to stop just watching shit in bed
And I know it sounds boring and we like things that are funny
But we need to get this in our fucking heads
The economy's a goner
Republic's a banana
Ignore it if you wanna'

'Tired of taking orders
Coping with disorders
The wrong men have the power
It's turning my milk sour
Turning my milk sour
Turning my milk sour'

Can you spot the Kasabian song?

19 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Can you spot the Kasabian song?

It’s different for them but it just has the exact sort of style as eeezeh

At least the 1975 are putting out entertaining stuff. They are definitely the headline band they’ve been slowly working towards for a while now.