The 1975 2020

Mash011

10 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

I’ll bite...

Electioneering. Although I listened to OK Computer for the first time since like last Summer the other day and didn't hate it as much as I usually do.

Obviously I was exaggerating by saying it's worse than Fitter Happier, but it annoys me a lot more and I'm pretty sure I skip it more than Fitter Happier. But maybe that's a thing of the past now.

• 1 month later...

I’ve been trying for years to understand the appeal of this band. I remember when they first blew up I listened to the first album and I hated it but I could see why they’d be popular with teenage girls. I watched them on Graham Norton last night and it was so so bad. They played that new single that sounds like a rip off of some really terrible 80s pop song “it’s not living if it’s not with you”. Loads of bouncing backing dancers and Healy doing a sort of chuck berry shuffle behind the mic stand. One thing I will say though is he has a good voice and it’s getting better. It’s just a shame he can’t write good music to go with it. I’d be amazed to see them headline in 2020. Surely other stage would be better?

11 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I’ve been trying for years to understand the appeal of this band. I remember when they first blew up I listened to the first album and I hated it but I could see why they’d be popular with teenage girls. I watched them on Graham Norton last night and it was so so bad. They played that new single that sounds like a rip off of some really terrible 80s pop song “it’s not living if it’s not with you”. Loads of bouncing backing dancers and Healy doing a sort of chuck berry shuffle behind the mic stand. One thing I will say though is he has a good voice and it’s getting better. It’s just a shame he can’t write good music to go with it. I’d be amazed to see them headline in 2020. Surely other stage would be better?

i also think theyre shite but they ain't headlining Other. They sold out The O2 in a matter of mins.

12 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Our first 2020 instalment of people suggesting headline-sized bands for lower slots because they're new/they don't like them.

Why would Other Stage be better? They're massive.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I just think glasto could probably pick whoever they want to headline the 50th and I’d be amazed if a band like the 1975 even made the shortlist when you consider the calibre of other artists who would probably want to do it

In which case The 1975 almost certainly just wouldn't play.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they get 3 bigger headliners than them next year.

Thing is, though, does bigger necessarily mean a better booking? I probably wouldn't even see The 1975 as out of their whole discography I basically only like half of their last album and a few songs from the previous one, but I still think booking them to headline in 2019/2020 would be better than booking almost anyone else. To be honest I wouldn't even have minded if they headlined instead of The Cure this year, and The Cure are one of my favourite bands of all time.

Someone responded to the Glasto Thingy on Twitter saying something like “subbing The Cure on Sunday. 100%”. I don’t know who and wouldn’t want to put random Twitter people on blast about this stuff but seems kinda specific, particularly when The Cure’s day isn’t an accepted truth and also that’s the only day the 1975 could play as well.

Also kinda tbought The 1975 might come out of nowhere and sub anyway so it’s in my interests to put faith in random unsubstantiated shouts on Twitter.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Someone responded to the Glasto Thingy on Twitter saying something like “subbing The Cure on Sunday. 100%”. I don’t know who and wouldn’t want to put random Twitter people on blast about this stuff but seems kinda specific, particularly when The Cure’s day isn’t an accepted truth and also that’s the only day the 1975 could play as well.

Also kinda tbought The 1975 might come out of nowhere and sub anyway so it’s in my interests to put faith in random unsubstantiated shouts on Twitter.

its your own tweet isn't it 

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The way you wrote it here I thought it was gonna just be someone replying to a tweet about The 1975 saying "subbing The Cure, 100%", in which case I was gonna say maybe it's just someone who thinks it's a very obvious fit and therefore thinks it'll defo happen. But I've just found the tweet and it's definitely someone who thinks they have solid info that it's happening.

12 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

The way you wrote it here I thought it was gonna just be someone replying to a tweet about The 1975 saying "subbing The Cure, 100%", in which case I was gonna say maybe it's just someone who thinks it's a very obvious fit and therefore thinks it'll defo happen. But I've just found the tweet and it's definitely someone who thinks they have solid info that it's happening.

Just had a look for this tweet too.

I love a game of go through said twitter persons followers and decide whether I think she would know based on people she knows.

Mindful of the fact that none of us believed the person who last tweeted us info and it turned out to be true.

3 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Just had a look for this tweet too.

I love a game of go through said twitter persons followers and decide whether I think she would know based on people she knows.

Mindful of the fact that none of us believed the person who last tweeted us info and it turned out to be true.

Haha I did the same but couldn't find anything that suggested she would know anything. Obviously she still easily could.

14 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Haha I did the same but couldn't find anything that suggested she would know anything. Obviously she still easily could.

If anything I think that makes it more believable. Would be a very odd thing to make up, especially when replying to the thingy is hardly likely to get much attention outside of us lot. 

Am I right in thinking that Neil had some info on The 1975 ages ago? I can't remember what it was but I'm sure there was something. Saying that, I'm sure there was also a tweet from someone saying their manager had told them they weren't booked, but I guess they could have been booked since then.

Edit: Found it

On 10/12/2018 at 8:46 AM, eFestivals said:

word I've heard is that they have an offer. Can't really see it being for less than headline.

Edited by kingcrawler

5 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

If anything I think that makes it more believable. Would be a very odd thing to make up, especially when replying to the thingy is hardly likely to get much attention outside of us lot. 

Am I right in thinking that Neil had some info on The 1975 ages ago? I can't remember what it was but I'm sure there was something. Saying that, I'm sure there was also a tweet from someone saying their manager had told them they weren't booked, but I guess they could have been booked since then.

Edit: Found it

Yeah I agree 100%. I can't see anything else about music or festivals on there so it'd be an extremely random thing to make up.