The 1975 2020

Mash011

OK, finally got to finish the album.  Also read the interview with Healy in Q this morning, which puts it all in a bit of context.

Some good stuff on there I think, so definitely not a bad album.  LIIWMI and Always Wanna  Die are great, some of the slower ones are actually better than I was expecting (really liked the jazzy noodlings of Mine), but overall I just don't quite get why it's had such a strong critical reception.  The best way I can describe a chunk of the album is like driving when you're tired, and suddenly realising you remember nothing from the last 10 miles.

What I will say for it is that I do want to listen to it again, partly because I want to figure out what I've missed from the reviews and partly just because I want to hear it again. But I really really don't get the equivalence with Radiohead and OK Computer. Maybe it's a thematic thing, which I might pick up on further listening, but I don't feel like it's hit me in the same way. But then I was 17 when that came out and I'm 38 now, so maybe the themes just aren't as relevant to me.

41 minutes ago, Quark said:

But I really really don't get the equivalence with Radiohead and OK Computer. Maybe it's a thematic thing, which I might pick up on further listening, but I don't feel like it's hit me in the same way. But then I was 17 when that came out and I'm 38 now, so maybe the themes just aren't as relevant to me.

I was very late the party and actually hadn't heard OK Computer in full till a couple of years ago (I was 6 months old when it came out), so I don't have the time gap between the two. Still I think you could hardly find two more contrasting albums - musically, lyrically, contextually, in terms of its meaning or influence. Really puzzled.

On my second listen now and struggling to finish it...

59 minutes ago, nysmaw said:

I was very late the party and actually hadn't heard OK Computer in full till a couple of years ago (I was 6 months old when it came out), so I don't have the time gap between the two. Still I think you could hardly find two more contrasting albums - musically, lyrically, contextually, in terms of its meaning or influence. Really puzzled.

On my second listen now and struggling to finish it...

The OK Computer comparison came from NME and they probably just noticed that it had a 2018 rip off of Fitter Happier on it and decided to compare it to OK Computer. Nobody reads NME except 14 year olds so they can write anything tbh.

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

The OK Computer comparison came from NME and they probably just noticed that it had a 2018 rip off of Fitter Happier on it and decided to compare it to OK Computer. Nobody reads NME except 14 year olds so they can write anything tbh.

I first saw it in Guardian who wrote that it's the "millennial successor to Radiohead’s 1997 album OK Computer."

Q's take isn't quite that bad.

"The Man Who Married a Robot - The 1975's homage to Fitter Happier - is not their only debt to rock's classic statement of the desire to find some peace in a world that's moving too fast"

They've taken the "inspired by" line rather than "successor to".

"Healy and the rest of the 1975 have reappeared with an album that clearly wants to be an epochal statement: the presence of a spoken-word track performed by Siri, Apple’s virtual assistant, and the distinctly Radiohead-like song I Always Wanna Die Sometimes implies it wants to be a millennial OK Computer. But behind the handwringing angst and existential despair, OK Computer was remarkably focused and direct. A Brief Enquiry Into Online Relationships feels more like the musical equivalent of a drunk early hours social media post, as a spew of unedited ideas veers from inspired to faintly regrettable."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/nov/29/the-1975-a-brief-inquiry-into-online-relationships-review-sex-social-media-and-the-state-of-the-nation

18 minutes ago, priest17 said:

avaKardo Police

Exit Music (For a student loan you'll never be able to repay, an apartment you'll never afford to own, being the first generation poorer than our parents, and a climate too effed up to ever fix)

This actually sounds a bit like a 1975 song.