The 1975 2020

Mash011

So, anyone heard the album yet? I reckon it bangs but I was gonna say that. 'I Like America and America Likes Me' has got to be my favourite of the non-single tracks, great mix of 22 A Million-ish vocodery stuff with big hip hop beats. How To Draw/Petrichor and Inside Your Mind are excellent too, and I Always Wanna Die (Sometimes) is a massive closer.

The first half of the album is absolutely golden tho I will say the second half leans a bit too far into the ballady stuff which has never been their greatest asset imo. They're not bad tracks by any means, and I do expect them to grow on me.

1 hour ago, Mash011 said:

So, anyone heard the album yet? I reckon it bangs but I was gonna say that. 'I Like America and America Likes Me' has got to be my favourite of the non-single tracks, great mix of 22 A Million-ish vocodery stuff with big hip hop beats. How To Draw/Petrichor and Inside Your Mind are excellent too, and I Always Wanna Die (Sometimes) is a massive closer.

The first half of the album is absolutely golden tho I will say the second half leans a bit too far into the ballady stuff which has never been their greatest asset imo. They're not bad tracks by any means, and I do expect them to grow on me.

Given in 3 listens so far. I Like America and I Always Wanna Die are jumping out most of the non single songs.

Definitely benefits from being a bit leaner than I Like It When You Sleep I think. Agree about the second half being a bit too ballad heavy but I feel even those will grow on me with a few more listens.

just listening to the album now.

TOOTIME.... is one of the worst songs I've ever heard, genuinely shit. Like some background music for a Thomas Cook ad filmed on a Go-Pro to look like someone's holiday vlog.

Love It If We Made It is OK, lyrics are interesting, vocal way too low in the mix though. could be good live.

not sure if Petrichor could sound any more like a Jon Hopkins rip-off.

Be My Mistake, dull as fuck ballad. like a mawkish Ben Howard b-side.

now on the 7th song and I'm rapidly losing any interest whatsoever.

e: left out the intro track, which was pointless, and track no.2, which I've already forgotten what it sounded like as it was that bland.

Edited by ghostdancer1

43 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

just listening to the album now.

TOOTIME.... is one of the worst songs I've ever heard, genuinely shit. Like some background music for a Thomas Cook ad filmed on a Go-Pro to look like someone's holiday vlog.

Love It If We Made It is OK, lyrics are interesting, vocal way too low in the mix though. could be good live.

not sure if Petrichor could sound any more like a Jon Hopkins rip-off.

Be My Mistake, dull as fuck ballad. like a mawkish Ben Howard b-side.

now on the 7th song and I'm rapidly losing any interest whatsoever.

e: left out the intro track, which was pointless, and track no.2, which I've already forgotten what it sounded like as it was that bland.

Okay but did you like the album

well GP,  you'll be delighted to know that I'm finally finished and can safely say that I did not.

there were maybe 3 tracks that were good (LIIWMI, How To Draw/Petrichor because it sounds like a Four Tet/Jon Hopkins collab, and I Like America....as it sounds like 22 A Million), but a whole lot of dull, bland, forgettable tracks, in the 2nd half of the album especially. The Man Who Married a Robot was by far the most interesting track, even if the attempted social commentary was mildly cringeworthy.

much of it sounds like what I'd imagine career-slump Maroon 5 album tracks sound like.

• Like 1

Their first albums sounded to me like One Direction with guitars, and I struggled to understrand why anyone over the age of 18 were enjoying them. 

Their new album seems to getting great reviews, so I have to listen to it, but judging by their latest single on Spotify it won't be up my alley.

50 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Glowing review from Pitchfork and also given BNM: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/the-1975-a-brief-inquiry-into-online-relationships/

Seems they've tapped into the zeitgeist. I always thought they were that shit band that shamelessly ripped off All My Friends.

damn I guess they really are a Patrician Band and everyone itt who doesn't like them is Literally Wrong, huh

Big fan personally, think they're the most interesting and exciting current band and the only one around at the moment that I can see pushing into that next "mega-star" level where people have expected Foals, Alt J, XX etc to reach in the past. Think this is definitely their most complete and rounded album to date, pretty much solid across the board (Love It If We Made It, It's Not Living and TOOTIME the stand outs for me) with just a couple of bits of deadwood that should have been left off. Take out Surrounded By Heads and Bodies and Mine and move stuff around a bit to sort the pacing out and it's a great listen all the way through. Like others have said, the ballad-y stuff really isn't where they shine so I have no idea why they always seem to revert back to it.

48 minutes ago, reflekting said:

It's okay, but definitely a drop in quality from I Like It When You Sleep. Certainly not deserving of the high praise it's receiving from every critic.

I listened to ILIWYS the other day after a couple of goes on ABIIOR and yeah, I definitely prefer that. Like, the singles were better, the more experimental stuff was more rewarding and - while it feels like a slog - the new album does towards the end also. I don’t see much of a genuine improvement and can only imagine that the higher level of acclaim is because it was a bit more of a hot take in 2016 to promote The 1975 as a credible outfit, whereas it’s what everyone would be expecting nowadays.

Not to get down on the new record - it’s good - but I think the critics’ response feels a little overzealous.

Anyone else confused about why the word "bop" is being used to describe The 1975's new songs but no one uses it to describe anything else? I thought it was something that had just taken off on eFests but last night I was playing It's Not Living in my room and my housemate messaged the group chat saying "1975 bop right there". Really freaking me out. Unless she is an eFestivals poster.

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Anyone else confused about why the word "bop" is being used to describe The 1975's new songs but no one uses it to describe anything else? I thought it was something that had just taken off on eFests but last night I was playing It's Not Living in my room and my housemate messaged the group chat saying "1975 bop right there". Really freaking me out. Unless she is an eFestivals poster.

Definitely not just an eFests or 1975 thing.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Definitely not just an eFests or 1975 thing.

I mean, obviously the word "bop" is a thing that exists outside of eFests/The 1975, I'm not that stupid. But it's not exactly a word that people use often, yet every time I see someone mention these new 1975 songs they describe them as a bop. Never a banger, or a tune, like people use to describe other good songs. Always a bop.

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

I mean, obviously the word "bop" is a thing that exists outside of eFests/The 1975, I'm not that stupid. But it's not exactly a word that people use often, yet every time I see someone mention these new 1975 songs they describe them as a bop. Never a banger, or a tune, like people use to describe other good songs. Always a bop.

Will, you have to understand this, bops and bangers are different. There are bop bands and there are banger bands. 75 are a bop band.