The 1975 2020

Mash011

They sounded shite when I saw them in 2013. And absolutely brilliant in 2017.

My mate won tickets for that tiny gig in Camden next month, but his +1 is another lad cos The 1975 are like his favourite band. I was gonna snag it if he couldn't go. :( Can't really afford it and I'm seeing them in January anyway so it doesn't really matter, but woulda been cool. Anyone going?

17 minutes ago, Odessa said:

My mate won tickets for that tiny gig in Camden next month, but his +1 is another lad cos The 1975 are like his favourite band. I was gonna snag it if he couldn't go. :( Can't really afford it and I'm seeing them in January anyway so it doesn't really matter, but woulda been cool. Anyone going?

I'm going on the Saturday in London, snagged tickets for the extra date but had to be quick about it.

Was a big fan of their first album, saw them at Glasto in 2014 and was massively turned off. Also met Matt Healey in a club in Leeds the same year and he was a complete nightmare.

Saying that - I think their new stuff is really great, they've come a long way and i'm looking to see what they pull out the bag for the upcoming tour.

31 minutes ago, buffy394 said:

I'm going on the Saturday in London, snagged tickets for the extra date but had to be quick about it.

Was a big fan of their first album, saw them at Glasto in 2014 and was massively turned off. Also met Matt Healey in a club in Leeds the same year and he was a complete nightmare.

Saying that - I think their new stuff is really great, they've come a long way and i'm looking to see what they pull out the bag for the upcoming tour.

Just out of interest, what was it that made him a nightmare? Guessing something to do with drugs

2 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

They sound basically like they do on record. Tho I don't really know where the accusations of them sounding 'thin' are coming from 

1 hour ago, Mash011 said:

Sounded pretty 'big' at the O2. Had a bunch of extra musicians with them, brass and stuff, backing singers.

Altho yeah I'm baffled by where this thin comment is coming from. Not all songs need to sound 'big' but it's hard to imagine stuff like The Sound sounding much bigger.

I guess the "thin" thing is because they're not particularly bass-heavy, not massive riffs, that kind of thing. Just trying to position the question about them adjusting their sound that @willutalk brought up.

FWIW I don't personally see it as an issue. Just trying to get ahead of an argument before it descends into madness again :lol:

I mean, REM didn't exactly sound "big" and, well, they were REM.

8 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

The thin comment came from me - from admittedly not many listens... it just sounds like there are few dynamics, and sounds really compressed, in my opinion. Didn't really grab me, but there you go. As before, quite admire them... 

Listen to them through a sub-woofer and they will sound fat.

3 hours ago, 19liam75 said:

Just out of interest, what was it that made him a nightmare? Guessing something to do with drugs

Yep. A friend's band had supported them that night so we all ended up out together. He was just quite belligerent and asking for drug numbers and being very unpleasant to the bar staff - ended up calling one of them names and then just left. 

42 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Just heard a 1975 record on Radio 2, I'll admit it was on in the background and I wasn't really paying attention but I genuinely thought it was Cliff Richard. 

Just seen an advert on TV for Cliff’s new album. To be fair he’s gone very...contemporary. 

16 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I had to go back to check :D

Screenshot_20181124-171348.thumb.png.188f099228dab28d02ce161e27d19622.png

Not a fan of song titles with the bit in parenthesis being longer than the bit that isn’t  

Something a bit weird about it. Untrustworthy, even. 

Edit: inexplicable oversize font in posts is equally odd. 

Edited by Woffy

2 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Not a fan of song titles with the bit in parenthesis being longer than the bit that isn’t  

Something a bit weird about it. Untrustworthy, even. 

Edit: inexplicable oversize font in posts is equally odd. 

I’ve always found ‘(What’s the Story) Morning Glory?’ to be pretty weird. Don’t get why it’s in parentheses at all.

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I’ve always found ‘(What’s the Story) Morning Glory?’ to be pretty weird. Don’t get why it’s in parentheses at all.

I’m no grammarian but wouldn’t a comma suffice? But yeah, that’s ugly. 

It’s even weirder using parenthesis in an album title too. 

Edit: doesn’t even need a comma, does it?

Edited by Woffy

1 minute ago, Woffy said:

I’m no grammarian but wouldn’t a comma suffice? But yeah, that’s ugly. 

It’s even weirder using parenthesis in an album title too. 

Edit: doesn’t even need a comma, does it?

I don’t even know what the question being asked is supposed to mean. Unless it’s something rude, then I know what is being asked.

14 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

(Nice Dream) is a stupid one.

Is a bit. With other titles that are in parentheses, I think it’s because it’s untitled but that is what it is to be referred to as (eg. ‘(Antichrist Television Blues)’) but when the refrain is “nice dream” it doesn’t make sense, no. Not as bad as ‘Bulletproof..I Wish I Was’, mind.

On 11/23/2018 at 1:12 PM, Odessa said:

is this the top Spotify listeners gig? 

I quite like it to be fair. I've never been massive on them (usually like their singles but not really their albums) but the album tracks seem to be reasonably strong for the most part. The closer is a banger and I really liked I Like America too as far as the non-singles go. Maybe the album was a bit too "interlude-y". Reminded me a bit of a poor man's 22, A Million at times with the Vocoder usage.

Could definitely see them headlining with the positive press/reception this album seems to be getting, especially if their to-be-released album of similar quality.

Edited by Rylbld9

On 11/23/2018 at 12:17 PM, priest17 said:

It would have been incredibly naive to not see that hangover coming. 

I wasn't expecting to enjoy Dolly but thoroughly did. As I think most people did. Hence why no one talks about the act that was on before her.

Catching up on this thread and genuinely spent about 30 seconds after reading your post above trying to work out what drug 'Dolly' was