Thursday Night

Magic Rat

On 11/16/2018 at 9:19 PM, Tranquility of Solitude said:

although Thursday is my bar crawl day,  a couple of hours in Avalon Cafe sets you up. took this pic in 2017.

IMG_1638.JPG

Sladest where excellent last year, same band that does the Vodka Jellies Karaoke which is always superb plus there is always the same 'surprise' guest doing the same song at the start of their set.

I love the Wednesday & Thursdays for the little bands playing the small stages who get much bigger crowds than they would during the rest of the weekend. They always seem so blown away.

Great days to see Mik, Beans, Rodney Branigan and the usual suspects, normally something good on Hell Stage or whatever they're calling it that year, Bandstand is a good laugh too plus you can find some great stuff in the bars.

Man alive! It's all coming back to me now, I fucking love the place. 

18 minutes ago, Gedh said:

Screw the headliners it's this vibe that makes it for me.

So right, many people who obsess about the headliners have never been to the festival, have no real understanding what it’s all about and can’t relate to the essence of Glastonbury.  Wednesday and Thursday are incredible as is the whole build up from the moment you are successful in getting a ticket. I have a few friends who criticise every time they see whose headlining, they just don’t get it.  Other festivals I tend to judge by who is playing, not Glastonbury,it’s unique. 

55 minutes ago, Gedh said:

Screw the headliners it's this vibe that makes it for me.

+1. As Gnom said folk like Mik, RB, Lekkido, etc make it for me. Then rounding off thurs getting ruined at Wheel of 4 tunes before being able to duck straight into the SE without the huge crush is a far more civilised affair. 

23 minutes ago, caballosblancos said:

+1. As Gnom said folk like Mik, RB, Lekkido, etc make it for me. Then rounding off thurs getting ruined at Wheel of 4 tunes before being able to duck straight into the SE without the huge crush is a far more civilised affair. 

My first Glastonbury in 2010 I wandered in to the outside circus kids stage where Mik was doing Secret Cloak of Invisibility. Hooked from that moment on.

23 hours ago, Harry49 said:

Great night. Had seen them in 2015 and both nights were a real highlight. Not sure what happened in 2017 but maybe there reputation made the crowd to big as sound was awful(too quiet) but never seemed to get going that year. Will probably give them a miss next year.

Totally agree - got there a bit late (but before it started) and couldn't hear it much at all.  Wandered off to find something else to do instead.  Real shame as 2016 had been a blast - well remember Harmonic Prospector's appearance - you were fantastic!  Wasn't there a pineapple or melon or something involved?

Edited by Beerqueen

Yes, I had been challenged (via their FB page) to bring the smallest pineapple I could find up on stage with me. I had one and it had been in my bag all day, then when I got up on stage it had disappeared from my bag. Luckily my friend earlier in the day had gone to the cocktail van at the entrance of the T&C field and purchased 4 pineapples as he thought it would be funny to do a "I'm Sparticus" moment when they called me up with our group all holding up pineapples. The cocktail bar charged him £40 for the privilege as he was taking all their pineapples off them, which we all thought he was mental for paying that amount of money when he arrived back with them, however his very expensive joke (which we didn't even end up doing as we were so spangled by that point) saved me a lot of embarrassment up on stage as they couriered one to the front when I realised mine was missing!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

what is guilty pleasures like?? Went to Rhythm of 90s last time and it was fantastic and super fun but proper rammed.

is guilty pleasures a bit more spacious but also good crowd?? looks like its some guy dressed as beetlejuice singing? hah

Thursday night is by far always the best day of the festival for me. I never go into it thinking it will be but it always is.

lets be honest, when the bands start there is an element of pressure, you’ve got clashes (with the inevitable FOMO) you’ve got to plan, you’ve got to think about getting from one stage to another.

Thursday is just a pressure free joyous experience.

On 11/25/2018 at 7:20 PM, Brownie30 said:

The Smyths and Showhawk Duo at WG last year were the absolute perfect Thursday kick off! 

The tent was fucking Sergio for the smyths, sortve ruined it a bit for me I couldn’t get anywhere near being actually in the tent and could barely hear anything. Just a negative of it being so popular