Thursday Night

Magic Rat

Thursday for us is always the same: Trip up to the Glastonbury sign, followed by a site-wide bar crawl, ending at Williams Green for the bands. The bars around there go on until about 3ish and are pretty lively.

At one point last year, I'm sure the main WG tent was pumping out S-club 7, while the bar opposite was moshing away to Killing In the Name. Love it.

Another vote for Rhythm of the 90s in Croissant Neuf.  We got there in plenty of time and were down the front for the duration.  Seemed to be plenty of room, no idea it was really rammed.

Also, Tony Bowen in either the Kasbah or the Chameleon in the afternoon.  It's tradition for a reason.

On 11/16/2018 at 7:26 PM, Magic Rat said:

First Glastonbury next year for both our 50th birthdays.

What's the general story on Thursday night? Any live music? Best spots to hit?

Any recommendations? Ta

Last year we decided to take in a load of live music on the Thursday and had a fantastic day.  We spent most of the afternoon in the Greenpeace fields.  I couldn't tell you which stage it was but there was some great stuff on whilst basking in the sun.  Later on we went walking around the site and ended up watching a live covers band on an outdoor stage not far from the Acoustic Stage and then made our way over to Williams Green for Circa Waves and Everything Everything in the evening.  Had an awesome day!

On 11/18/2018 at 3:46 AM, Curlygirl said:

Leylines are class like! They're on at Incider in Feb.

Wed and Thurs are honestly my favourite days. I love all the 'festival' bands as I call them, Mr B, Prof Elemental, Beans, Mik Artistik, Gaz Brookfield etc. The SE corner is always alot quieter at night too... NYC Downlow is proper good. Am buzzing for next years shenanigans already.

Bought their cd after seeing them.  These two days are incredible.  Even enjoy the sleep out in the car park on Tuesday night. In fact this year we are staying in Glastonbury on Sunday and Monday night just to get us close to the site. A few days in the town to set us up for the shenanigans!

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

Wednesday and Thursday normally roll in to one huge mess.

Friday morning I contemplate my life choices and how i messed up in most of them, while having a little cry. Then I realise there is now actually music going on . The music sort of ruins things. I was having so much fun doing what ever i wanted now I have to go and be places at certain times.

Wednesday and Thursday are the best days, followed closely by Sunday Night 

• Upvote 3

Love Wednesday for the meet ups and the drinking, Thursday more for exploring.

In 2017 we convened at Greenpeace at noon for the New York Brass Band,  one of our number joining them on stage, then caught a couple of acts at Croissant Neuf Bandstand, very pleasant if the sun's out, then a wander up through Green Futures to The Park, a drink and whatever is on at the Bimble Inn, usually make some half-heated attempt to see something at William's Green later on but usually to rammed to stick around for too long. 

1 hour ago, Gedh said:

Williams green tents are weird because the hard part is getting in. The nearer the stage the more room there is.

That applies to quite a few tents. Even Avalon sometimes.  It’s caused by the passing trade dipping in to have a wee look at what’s on and then clearing off. They hang around the peripheral area of the tent clogging up the way in. Gets right on my tits, just like tall folk who stand in front of me then proceed to chat away to their buddies when I am trying to listen to a band.   Usually posers with giant rucksacks and a camping chair who just want to say they’ve been to Glastonbury. Rant over,! 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

That applies to quite a few tents. Even Avalon sometimes.  It’s caused by the passing trade dipping in to have a wee look at what’s on and then clearing off. They hang around the peripheral area of the tent clogging up the way in. Gets right on my tits, just like tall folk who stand in front of me then proceed to chat away to their buddies when I am trying to listen to a band.   Usually posers with giant rucksacks and a camping chair who just want to say they’ve been to Glastonbury. Rant over,! 

And experiencing the whole event through the screen of their phone as they hold it up videoing all night. Arrgghh

Edited by Gedh

20 hours ago, shuttlep said:

Friday morning I contemplate my life choices and how i messed up in most of them, while having a little cry. Then I realise there is now actually music going on . The music sort of ruins things. I was having so much fun doing what ever i wanted now I have to go and be places at certain times.

This post and the thread in general has made me so excited!

And then I realised it's still 7 months away, and even worse, I have to submit my PhD thesis before then.....

Now I am contemplating my life choices and going to buy one of those cadburys chocolate snowman with mouse in to ease the pain

21 hours ago, shuttlep said:

I can't decide whether we should absolutely get together and drink, or whether it would be the worst possible idea for both of us :lol:

15 hours ago, Pantoufle said:

This is all very helpful, thank you. It’s my first time next year. Can’t wait! ?

Enjoy :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Quark said:

I can't decide whether we should absolutely get together and drink, or whether it would be the worst possible idea for both of us :lol:

it's always a good idea my man , well it is at the time can't promise it will be by Saturday

25 minutes ago, Quark said:

Hopefully @shuttlep is factoring in the e-fests meet up into his debauchery....and it's early on enough into the proceedings that he'll remember to go :lol:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Hopefully @shuttlep is factoring in the e-fests meet up into his debauchery....and it's early on enough into the proceedings that he'll remember to go :lol:

I always plan to go to the meet and have other plans, then turn round on Friday , trying to think where have  I been,.

when I get to Glastonbury it's like Christmas day , I just go mental.... best laid plans go out the window

First thing that sprang to mind for me was.... why the hell have you waited until your 50th birthdays to do your fist Glasto??? You do realise you have basically wasted the past 40+ summers of your life?? :D

Anyway, thursdays you can catch some music. Circa Waves played last year and was waaaaay too rammed but great. Thursday is just another Wednesday for me.... getting very intoxicated and seeing what you can stumble upon. 

On 11/16/2018 at 7:26 PM, Magic Rat said:

First Glastonbury next year for both our 50th birthdays.

What's the general story on Thursday night? Any live music? Best spots to hit?

Any recommendations? Ta

I haven't seen anyone else mention clashfinder. 

This shows you what was on the Thursday last time, which is a good feel for equivalent stages and also to be honest the likelihood you'll recognise the names of the majority of the acts.  As you'll see from all the other responses though, that has zero bearing on their popularity with the crowd and with the other posters here, as this is often just a chance to see acts which are great fun.

https://clashfinder.com/s/g2017/